Thread: Resolve and Tangent Elements

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 Resolve and Tangent Elements 
    Can we expect BMD to join the other software companies to support the new upcoming Tangent Elements control panel(s)? Furthermore, would finally BMD will allow the Tangent accompanied software to allow modification of the functions mapping? Please, do not what to initiate a thread only for "+1" list, even though they are welcomed to show the interest. However, the main purpose of the thread is to engage BMD and their Resolve owners to openly and honestly talk about the need to move into this direction to better serve your customer base.

I would love to but your panel, and I am sure I am not alone. But $30K pricemark is preventing a lot of us to seriously make the move and acquire one. So, if such price range will or cannot move into the downward direction, supporting Elements is the next best move you can do to support all of us.

Respectfully,
    Luis Otero

Colorist - Motion pictures painter..

Epic-X #1616 (Old Red One 711)
    I was scammed, and I love it...!

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

IMDB: www.imdb.com/name/nm3889059/

Posted last year, and not a single, minute reaction from BMD? C'on, you make Resolve for $1K (or free), and cannot just post a simple reply?
    Luis Otero

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

You think maybe they might be on Christmas break like everyone else?

Jeez.
    Matt Gottshalk
    http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com
    https://vimeo.com/86056260
    EPIC-X "Deckard"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm

Excuse me if I offended you, but the message was intended for someone that can speak for BMD. As a long time client, I know they are always around, and I feel with the confidence to write this type of messages when I need or pleases me to do so.

Merry Christmas!
    Luis Otero

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

A lot of animosity in this thread.

OK, I will say this. I understand that BMD make no money if I buy a Tangent Element, but we can't afford a BMD panel right now.

So, BMD people take notice: I would be more than happy to pay an extra fee on top of the $1k license if that would allow us to throw away the Tangent Wave in favor of a Tangent Element (assuming the Element results a good panel once released). That way, you guys make profit, and we get the advantage of a better panel as a mid step until we can eventually afford to buy the DaVinci panel.

Would that be a win win situation?

I don't know how many people would agree with me, specially since lately, the forum seems to be full of people that want everything for free, but then, that is just my personal opinion.

That sounds like a good potential option. Kind of buying a license/plug-in to use such panel
    Luis Otero

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    I would pay the fee to be able to use the Tangeant Element panel on Resolve. I'm about to buy my new workstation and I would love to get rid of the Wave.
    As they did with resolve Windows and the lowered price on Linux, I'm sure they will read the board and do something about this.

But when ? Sure they will keep it for NAB 2012.
    Bérenger Brillante / Diffraction
    Crew with equipment, for hire in Europe
    www.dif-fraction.com
    Showreel : https://vimeo.com/69407726

Tangent confirmed some time ago that they were working with BMD to support resolve. At the time it sounded like support would come with the next resolve update, so it wouldn't be supported upon release of the panels unlike other software, but that it would be getting support quickly. I know I would be willing to pay $1000 for a license as well, but given BMD's recent decisions, how many people would they upset when in 6 months, they included support for free after charging for initial support?

To me it really doesn't seem like BMD even wants to sell there own panels given the recent actions. I would buy them if it weren't for the fact that I think they may not even be supported in a year combined with products like the element that seem like they have a big future and are far less of a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerimiah Morey View Post
    Tangent confirmed some time ago that they were working with BMD to support resolve. At the time it sounded like support would come with the next resolve update, so it wouldn't be supported upon release of the panels unlike other software, but that it would be getting support quickly. I know I would be willing to pay $1000 for a license as well, but given BMD's recent decisions, how many people would they upset when in 6 months, they included support for free after charging for initial support?

To me it really doesn't seem like BMD even wants to sell there own panels given the recent actions. I would buy them if it weren't for the fact that I think they may not even be supported in a year combined with products like the element that seem like they have a big future and are far less of a gamble.
    It is obvious, that for Resolve to support Tangent panel, Tangent had to provide to BM the communications protocol for that panel. But in case of actual design of Wave support, Tangent had zero say on the subject. It is all done internally by BM. And unfortunately, the same no Tangent input on the Resolve support goes for Elements.
    As far as BM not supporting their own panels, history said otherwise. Davinci own 2k panels are still in use with Linux Resolve. So, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Said that, I still want to reiterarte, that personally, I will never buy a single application hardware, be it Resolve panel or RR. Right now I use MC Color and it works with Avid MC6, Smoke, Resolve, RedCine-X, Baselight plugin for FCP, Scratch and Nucoda's Fuse. And because MC Color is networkable, I can even use it on more than one computer. No single purpose panel can do that.

I would not be surprised to see bmd drop resolve panel price by 50% in coming months with next big update. maybe they want to delay any future 3rd party panel support until that happens. if you have watched bmd pricing behavior over the last ten(?) years, they do this kind of thing on a regular basis. to the dismay of many...
    Colorist | Los Angeles, CA | www.filmandtvcolor.com

Twitter: @4kfinish