Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Rudolf View Post
    OT - but I just have to ask: Marc - are you the same Marc Wielage I used to hang out with on CEFORUM on CompuServe all those years ago? (That was my go-to community, pretty much daily, in the pre-Internet days...)
    Hey, how many Marc Wielages could there be?

Ebert was great, too. I got to have lunch with him and Russ Meyer once, when we were doing a project for Modern in the 1980s. Terrific guy. Even when I don't agree with his opinion, I think he's a terrific writer who's very passionate about what he believes in, and he's always enjoyable to read. First-class journalist, with an enormous knowledge of film history; his recent autobiography is a fantastic read.

Back to Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: there's a very nice video interview with Ivan Vertovec at the Pablo color-timing the movie at this link:

http://vimeo.com/33692306
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

Film looked stunning at the Burbank AMC "ETX" theater, definitely a 4K Sony Projector but I doubt it was a 4K DCI, just didn't look crisp enough. Enjoyed the film tremendously though.
    BTW skin tones were superb, as good as film IMHO.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    http://www.YouTube.com/evingrant
    360 Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Caught this at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar last night. Best 3 hours of movie for me in a very long time. It looked great. I'm going to make better movies because of it.
    www.digitalshakedown.com

EPIC-X #204 "JIGSAW" + SCARLET-X #1097
    DIGITAL SHAKEDOWN - A FULL SERVICE PRODUCTION COMPANY - Concept to Delivery

We watched yesterday in Emeryville, CA on a 4K projector (apparently from a 4K DCP). Looks clean and crisp, the text is stunning sharp (that's how we figure out the 4K DCP).
    The photography is very consistant and dramatically correct. Fincher has a firm hand on the story and does not self indulge in unnecessary movements or close ups. Music too is very narrative oriented. Overall the american version is a good film with Daniel Craig really delivering, Rooney Mara is way to soft for Lisbeth but not a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Evin Grant View Post
    Film looked stunning at the Burbank AMC "ETX" theater, definitely a 4K Sony Projector but I doubt it was a 4K DCI, just didn't look crisp enough. Enjoyed the film tremendously though.
    BTW skin tones were superb, as good as film IMHO.
    Evin,
    I watched GWDT at the Burbank AMC "ETX" theater and I agree on the skin tones, they were as good as film, but I was sorely disappointed in the resolution. The medium and wide shots looked soft IMO. Not soft compared to every other 2K film but soft compared to the 4K I watched at RED Studios. So I share your suspicion per the DCI. Nonetheless, it was a beautiful film and a true testament to the ability of RED MX ...and Fincher...and Light Iron...Cronenweth...etc...
    I love lamp.

Does anyone know if the film will be shown in 4K in any cinemas here in London?
    Antonio Rui Ribeiro
    DP / Editor / Director

Scarlet 1037

Email: dp@antonio-ribeiro.com
    http://www.antonio-ribeiro.com

Keep in mind that much of the movie was shot in very soft low-contrast winter light so there are limits to how snappy and sharp things are going to look even in 4K.

I thought the movie looked fantastic, even in the 35mm print I saw.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Anderson View Post
    Saw this in nyc yesterday. There was only 1 place showing it in 4k. The 4k really made this film feel alive. it was amazing to experience. Quite possibly my new favorite film

where in NYC is there 4k?

4K in cinemas isn't equal.

Be aware of the difference between a Sony SXRD (reflective LCD) 4K projector and a Barco/Christie 4K DLP projector. The Sony will always be softer, particularly on a larger screens.

Of the big Cinema chains in the US, Regal and AMC will be Sony 4K, while Cinemark will have Barco 4K DLP projectors.

Smaller chains like Malco Theatres (323 screens at 30 locations) and SR Entertainment Group run Barco's.

does any Regal or AMC that have a Sony 4K (i actually check for each movie i see (i like the last row)) have a 4K DCP of the Girls with the dragon Tatoo?

thanks

g