Thread: Zeiss CP.2

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    Brian, I think the worse thing you can do right now is spend a lot of money on lenses based on a lot of recommendations you read here. It's all good advice, and these are all fine lenses, but... Lens choice is a very personal, aesthetic thing. You are fond of telling us that you are 18 years old. One of the things that tells me (that and the questions you are asking) is that you need to spend some time with different lenses to find your own aesthetic, and to find which lenses will satisfy it. Don't buy anything right now. Or if you must, make it a general-purpose zoom like the Red 17-55 that you can use for general shooting and will be quite neutral in its presentation. (I believe you've said your camera is coming with a PL mount.)

Don't spend $20K+ on lenses right now.

Rent many different lenses. Find out how they look to you. Develop the eye to be able to judge what you like for yourself.

Check out these guys: Lensrentals.com they have CP.2s, Zeiss LWZs, Schneider C-Xs, and Cooke I/Panchros for rent. And make friends with a local rental house. They will have Zeiss superspeeds, standards, maybe Angineux Rouge zooms, and likely RPPs. You may be able to strike a weekend deal with them if the lenses are not busy.

You have discussed the value of film school. That's a whole different subject, but at your age, with your interest and level of experience, learning about the differences in lenses is a very important part of your education in cinematography. By owning one set of lenses, you'll stunt that education, because you'll use it for everything, and you won't know what any other lenses look like.
    This is really good advice. Sometimes you can even go into some rental houses and use the lenses there if they're not busy (the lenses themselves and the rental facility). Their hope is that you'll use the lenses there and when it comes time for you to rent the lenses for a shoot you'll rent from them. Not every rental house will do that, but some will and it will let you get a feeling for the lenses, though probably not under optimum lighting conditions. But it's still an opportunity without as much expense. But definitely try a lot of lenses before you buy. But if you have the spare money to spend on the lenses and can use them to get yourself more jobs then it's an investment that could pay for itself and then some, and eventually let you upgrade to whatever you later find you like more. And once you start getting those jobs, there's no reason why you couldn't get production to rent better lenses if the project calls for it and there's a budget for it. That will also let you get more experience with other lenses.

I've seen a lot of comments back and forth on film school ... but I think a huge advantage of film school is the ability to very cheaply check out a lot of different gear. It's real tricky to rent when your under 21 (yes it's doable, but it's not easy ... especially depending on where you live). Also rental really add's up ... and you don't really check out the best gear anyway (it's hard to just "play" with rental gear, since your normally under the $ clock to do something).

You don't have to go to the most awesome film school to get really cheap rental rates as a student. Often the mid-tier schools have great gear. Just going to school ... many rental places give you better rates. ( ... i.e. night school counts as far as gear rental and rental rates, not sure if their is a internet school that has rentals though).
    http://www.youtube.com/patrickfaithart
    "Litl" #250 "Pudl" #397 of "Ink" (Monochrome) #3752

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    Brian, I think the worse thing you can do right now is spend a lot of money on lenses based on a lot of recommendations you read here. It's all good advice, and these are all fine lenses, but... Lens choice is a very personal, aesthetic thing. You are fond of telling us that you are 18 years old. One of the things that tells me (that and the questions you are asking) is that you need to spend some time with different lenses to find your own aesthetic, and to find which lenses will satisfy it. Don't buy anything right now. Or if you must, make it a general-purpose zoom like the Red 17-55 that you can use for general shooting and will be quite neutral in its presentation. (I believe you've said your camera is coming with a PL mount.)

Don't spend $20K+ on lenses right now.

Rent many different lenses. Find out how they look to you. Develop the eye to be able to judge what you like for yourself.

Check out these guys: Lensrentals.com they have CP.2s, Zeiss LWZs, Schneider C-Xs, and Cooke I/Panchros for rent. And make friends with a local rental house. They will have Zeiss superspeeds, standards, maybe Angineux Rouge zooms, and likely RPPs. You may be able to strike a weekend deal with them if the lenses are not busy.

You have discussed the value of film school. That's a whole different subject, but at your age, with your interest and level of experience, learning about the differences in lenses is a very important part of your education in cinematography. By owning one set of lenses, you'll stunt that education, because you'll use it for everything, and you won't know what any other lenses look like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Halper View Post
    This is really good advice. Sometimes you can even go into some rental houses and use the lenses there if they're not busy (the lenses themselves and the rental facility). Their hope is that you'll use the lenses there and when it comes time for you to rent the lenses for a shoot you'll rent from them. Not every rental house will do that, but some will and it will let you get a feeling for the lenses, though probably not under optimum lighting conditions. But it's still an opportunity without as much expense. But definitely try a lot of lenses before you buy. But if you have the spare money to spend on the lenses and can use them to get yourself more jobs then it's an investment that could pay for itself and then some, and eventually let you upgrade to whatever you later find you like more. And once you start getting those jobs, there's no reason why you couldn't get production to rent better lenses if the project calls for it and there's a budget for it. That will also let you get more experience with other lenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    I've seen a lot of comments back and forth on film school ... but I think a huge advantage of film school is the ability to very cheaply check out a lot of different gear. It's real tricky to rent when your under 21 (yes it's doable, but it's not easy ... especially depending on where you live). Also rental really add's up ... and you don't really check out the best gear anyway (it's hard to just "play" with rental gear, since your normally under the $ clock to do something).

You don't have to go to the most awesome film school to get really cheap rental rates as a student. Often the mid-tier schools have great gear. Just going to school ... many rental places give you better rates. ( ... i.e. night school counts as far as gear rental and rental rates, not sure if their is a internet school that has rentals though).
    Excellent, excellent advice everyone. This is why come to the forum. I don't know where else I'd be able to receive such incredible responses to my questions. :)
    A 19-year-old student with a love for cinematography and a passion for geophysics.

Personal: www.brianiannone.com, Portfolio: visuals.brianiannone.com, Business: www.ik3.co, Twitter: @brianiannone

The List of Scarlet Names | The List of EPIC Names