Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 2012: The Year of 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    That's a nice list.

However, most of those movies had their effects done at 2K.

They would have to be re-done at 4K for a true 4K release. Not fun.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com
    That's true with most movies but it is irrelevant. The list I posted is of films that have 4K DIs, regardless of whatever else applies.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    That's true with most movies but it is irrelevant. The list I posted is of films that have 4K DIs, regardless of whatever else applies.
    So if the VFX house delivered at 2K and they blew it up to 4K in the DI and printed to film, you count that as a "4K movie" ??

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    So if the VFX house delivered at 2K and they blew it up to 4K in the DI and printed to film, you count that as a "4K movie" ??

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com
    That's just the way things work with VFX Bruce. It's the technology vs time and cost of product game. Would I prefer 4K VFX? Sure. Do I or most people who watch movies give a shit if they did it at 2K and plopped it in a 4K DI? No, not really. Most VFX shots aren't Transformers-type stuff requiring significant graphic detail so it doesn't really matter as long as it looks good enough to watch and doesn't pull you out of the movie watching experience by being a serious distraction.

That's just the way things work with VFX Bruce. It's the technology vs time and cost of product game. Would I prefer 4K VFX? Sure. Do I or most people who watch movies give a shit if they did it at 2K and plopped it in a 4K DI? No, not really. Most VFX shots aren't Transformers-type stuff requiring significant graphic detail so it doesn't really matter as long as it looks good enough to watch and doesn't pull you out of the movie watching experience by being a serious distraction.
    If you're saying that dropping down to upscaled 2K for the VFX shots isn't a distraction... Why the hell am I paying for a 4K movie and not just upscaling my BluRay?

If the "4K movie" brand wants to be credible... VFX shots need to be significantly sharper than on Blu Ray.

Nearly 1000 VFX shots in Social Network were done at 2K.

I already have the Blu-Ray.

If you're trying to sell me a 4K version and the movie gets soft every time we have the twins in the shot... I'm going to ask for my money back!

And if there is no difference between the 4K and 2K shots across the whole film... I'm also going to ask for my money back!

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Like I said Bruce, it is what it is. Until technology, manpower, and hardware costs align to bring rapid turnaround of quality high-resolution VFX work, you have no choice but to accept it or tell Hollywood to outsource everything to India and Asia, where they can do 4K or higher VFX quickly, for less money with their setups.

Just for shits and giggles, I compiled a list of known 4K works that would launch the inevitable 4K media format, whatever the heck it will be...

Ocean's Thirteen
    Catwoman
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Fincher)
    Poseidon
    I Love You Beth Cooper
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Spider-Man 3
    Priest
    Reach For Me (Dalsa Origin's first film and the first 4K end-to-end feature)
    Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire
    Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
    Angels & Demons
    Eat, Pray, Love
    Water For Elephants
    Blood Diamond
    The Fountain
    Lucky You
    The DaVinci Code
    Family Stone
    Stealth
    Spider-Man 2
    The Next Three Days
    The Soloist
    Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem
    Across The Universe
    The Black Dahlia
    Robin Hood (2010)
    Essential Killing
    No Country For Old Men
    The Family Stone
    The Graves
    True Grit (2010)
    Doubt
    Love And Other Drugs
    The Bounty Hunter (Gerard Butler flick that nobody here will admit to seeing)
    Breathing
    Defiance
    The Green Hornet
    The Other Guys
    Salt
    A Serious Man
    War Horse
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Proud American
    The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
    The Karate Kid (2010)
    30 Minutes Or Less
    The Adjustment Bureau
    Straw Dogs (2011)
    Che
    My Blueberry Nights
    The Fall
    The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) 4K-2D/2K-3D
    Bright Star
    Southland Tales
    Inception
    Cheri
    How Do You Know?
    Revolutionary Road
    The Tourist
    Iron Man 2
    Katyn (Polish Film)
    Things I Don't Understand
    Rent (2005 adaptation of the musical)
    Samsara
    Baraka
    Casanova (2005 movie with Heath Ledger)
    The Omen (2005)
    Sector 7 (Korean horror film)
    The Other Side
    Evan Almighty
    James Cameron's Titanic (4K Re-master)
    Patton (Restoration)
    The Bridge On The River Kwai (Restoration)
    The Sand Pebbles (Restoration)
    Gone With The Wind (Restoration)
    Cleopatra (50th Anniversary Restoration)
    Blade Runner (The Final Cut/Director's Cut Restoration)
    Alien (Restoration)
    Aliens (Restoration)
    Taxi Driver (Restoration)
    Star Trek: The Next Generation (Restoration)
    Apocalypse Now (Restoration)
    The Godfather Trilogy (Restoration)

Feel free to let me know if there are any that I missed. I put together this list based on IMDB data and information from post-production magazines and colorist resumes.
    Thanks a lit for this. Which ones are fall Red, or where Red was the primary camera?
    "We think, you do!"

Reputation is something the unwise apply.
    But integrity is what the wise apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriele Turchi View Post
    I strongly think that 98% of those movies were finished and mastered @2k and not 4K...

g
    Maybe the cheap option, is where there has been an upgrade in the production workflow software from 2k to 4k, and particularly if it is automated render, is to rerun it through the software from 4k footage input to 4k output, for each program, to end up with the same files/names in 4k for each orogram. down stream. If any footage or effects are in 2k, upscale them (even through something like the old Intel upscaling platform that will restore some higher resolution detail then the resolution shot in, used to be 100 hours of processing per frame neatly ten years ago). If anybody wants all native 4k, they can pay for the conversion of a special 4k print. If the work flow software is not set up to do this all ready, then why not! It will be crucial to have this for 4k and 8k dragon footage :)

To be real, if you have a most all 4k old film, with a little upscaled 2k, it does not matter so much,
    "We think, you do!"

Reputation is something the unwise apply.
    But integrity is what the wise apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini View Post
    Thanks a lit for this. Which ones are fall Red, or where Red was the primary camera?

The vast majority of the listed titles were shot on film. I'm not sure that they all went through a 4K DI process, though. And pictures like Spider Man 2 were about 75% or more VFX shots - all done at 2K.

Benjamin Buttons (Great looking movie BTW) was shot on the Viper, a 2K/1080P camera, so no going back to the negative there for 4K.
    Mike, Spiderman 2 (Or maybe 3) was one of the first films to actually do the VFX at 4K, it's the movie that convinced most producers to stick to 2K
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    http://www.YouTube.com/evingrant
    360º Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Evin Grant View Post
    Benjamin Buttons (Great looking movie BTW) was shot on the Viper, a 2K/1080P camera, so no going back to the negative there for 4K.
    It was film, Sony 1080p, and Viper 2K. Info I pulled straight from WB MPI (who did the DI) for the list says they did the DI at 4K but that might be an error on their part though I couldn't find anything to confirm what resolution the DI was done at despite common sense suggesting 2K given the use of digital video for most of the movie.