Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 2012: The Year of 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Is there any 4K material somewhere on the web as h264 file? Not youtube overcompressed stuff. Good quality h264 material.
    Michel Hafner

Poor RedRay section being the dungeon of reduser...maybe Jim or Jarred can post something spicy in here to get the numbers up...this is yet again one of the next 'biggest ideas' for Red and I'm surprised it hasn't really generated more chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    Things are VERY different now. TV is the internet. HBO GO has better compression in HD than some carriers. APPLE's VOD numbers for indie films are insane (in a good way). There's COMPETITION to deliver content - Google, Amazon, Apple, Hulu (with more than twice as much as the combined total of video streamed from the websites of ABC, CBS, the CW, Fox and NBC) - so .... delivery platforms will need to differentiate themselves with QUALITY. I'm aware of one early start-up company already working to be the first all 4K broadcast channel.
    This is why Hollywood lobbyists are so desperately trying to get laws passed so that the Government (Hollywood) can control the internet, or at least remove it as a competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Torrie View Post
    Poor RedRay section being the dungeon of reduser...maybe Jim or Jarred can post something spicy in here to get the numbers up...this is yet again one of the next 'biggest ideas' for Red and I'm surprised it hasn't really generated more chatter.
    Yes.
    "We think, you do!"

Reputation is something the unwise apply.
    But integrity is what the wise apply.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hafner View Post
    Is there any 4K material somewhere on the web as h264 file? Not youtube overcompressed stuff. Good quality h264 material.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLO7n3HiIks

4K on youtube uploaded in MAX possible quality. Compression is acceptable, judge yourself if you want original I can make it available.

https://vimeo.com/40608724

If you download the "original" it's 4k h264 at 10mbits. So it is massively compressed, but seems to hold up fairly well when watched at (supersampled) down to 1080p.

Looks like future Macs are likely to have 4k displays.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...play_macs.html

This is a function more of the Intel Ivy Bridge chip, which (as the story notes) will support up to 4096x4096 resolution. This isn't necessarily optimal for all users and software. To me, on a 24" monitor, 1920x1200 works fine for running various programs.

4K will be important in future display technology and entertainment, but I think viewers will see the most dramatic results on wall-size (or bigger) screens -- not a 24" or 30" computer monitor.
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

Try Sintel (http://www.sintel.org/), it's an animation film. 4K X264 downloadable here: http://download.blender.org/durian/movies/.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    This is a function more of the Intel Ivy Bridge chip, which (as the story notes) will support up to 4096x4096 resolution. This isn't necessarily optimal for all users and software. To me, on a 24" monitor, 1920x1200 works fine for running various programs.

4K will be important in future display technology and entertainment, but I think viewers will see the most dramatic results on wall-size (or bigger) screens -- not a 24" or 30" computer monitor.
    I don't think you can look at screen size without considering viewing distance. For example, I use my 27 inch monitor from 2-3 feet away. 2560x1440 is not enough. I need more resolution than someone watching an IMAX screen middle of the theater. On the other hand, someone watching a 55" HDTV from 12 feet away, 1920x1080 is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post

I think I read that Ivy bridge can drive 2 or 3 4k displays. But if you are using all the premium field of view (which you can do with a 30 inch at close distance) then even 4k might not be enough (even 8k) to get pixels down. This is now 8k era, 4k was meant to come out in 2008 (4k has been out much earlier on small monitors as well), but we have let the consumer electronics industry dictate professionally what we do. Doing photographic work is an excellent reason to have 8k. When you blowup photographs to posters, it is another story, and I think there will even be a home market for A2 and A1 printers for the 32mpixel+ cameras. That is why the Red projectors 4k resolution is such a mistake, I can put them onto. a lcos manufacturer that already has 8k in the works. In a year or so the Red 9k camera will be out, and 4k will be old hat.

Subhadip, yes.
    "We think, you do!"

Reputation is something the unwise apply.
    But integrity is what the wise apply.