Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 2012: The Year of 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 146
  1. #111  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanks Marc, but was what I usually saw, however recent improvements might help, if there is time, or directors cut br disk.

    I couldn't get the apple site to download the trailers, will have to go elsewhere. My present system can't run itunes, so it redirects to the homescreen instead of downloading :( . This locking out everybody else except your platform is pretty unacceptable, especially for something like this.
    "We think, you do!"

    Reputation is something the unwise apply.
    But integrity is what the wise apply.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #112  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chatsworthless, CA
    Posts
    3,182
    Funny, I'm watching them live on the Apple website, no downloading necessary. Most likely you need the latest QuickTime installed with your browser. This will be an issue with Linux, but not with any flavor of Windows or Mac OSX in the last 5-6 years.
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #113  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Funny, I'm watching them live on the Apple website, no downloading necessary. Most likely you need the latest QuickTime installed with your browser. This will be an issue with Linux, but not with any flavor of Windows or Mac OSX in the last 5-6 years.
    Yep, priority, can't install.
    "We think, you do!"

    Reputation is something the unwise apply.
    But integrity is what the wise apply.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #114  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chatsworthless, CA
    Posts
    3,182
    I believe this link via Sony Pictures is feeding via Flash:

    http://www.theamazingspiderman.com/
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #115  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanks Marc,
    "We think, you do!"

    Reputation is something the unwise apply.
    But integrity is what the wise apply.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #116  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,334
    Well, what can I say. I like the reader trailer a little better possibly, but there are things I don't like, like maybe a yellow or even greenish, shift I can see on known colors (I have seen the throw over on the couch in the child scene, or have one, plus the movie classification still, the shift in the blue in lab and skies) but at least it shows they can do it, if they want too. No t really my preferred look, but definitely (not counting shift) in the zone of what I like.

    Now, can somebody do this to District 9?

    As I might have said here before, there needs to be a footage container system, to preserve used footage and effects at maxinum used resolution and quality, for automated reprocessing into higher resolution master with new color space, that canbe tweaked for subsequent after market special collector edition releases (bluray and redray). In this the raw special effects and 3d creation files are also preserved to be rerendered or replaced at tgevnew target resolution and color space. This also includes automated resolution upscaling of highest quality, to fill in what can't affordably otherwise. A standard for this. Might be a job for George Lucas and crew.
    "We think, you do!"

    Reputation is something the unwise apply.
    But integrity is what the wise apply.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #117  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chatsworthless, CA
    Posts
    3,182
    I would not judge color accuracy based on a unknown flash file, with questionable gamma settings on both the file end and the monitor end, and too many variables in gamma settings, color temperature, and gray scale on computer monitors. But even given all that, I think Amazing Spiderman looks very, very good.

    District 9 had an extreme look, and I think it's a given that this is what the director was going for. "Normal" was not the desired look.

    Higher res and greater color spaces are part of the new Academy ACES file format, but it's not widely accepted at the moment.
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #118  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post

    Higher res and greater color spaces are part of the new Academy ACES file format, but it's not widely accepted at the moment.
    ACES has nothing to do with resolution. Its purpose is to specify a theoretically unlimited color space for both archiving and working flexibility, and ways to get in and out of that color space to accommodate different capture devices (for input) and different display devices, both known and unknown. Resolution is not part of the specification.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #119  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I would not judge color accuracy based on a unknown flash file, with questionable gamma settings on both the file end and the monitor end, and too many variables in gamma settings, color temperature, and gray scale on computer monitors. But even given all that, I think Amazing Spiderman looks very, very good.

    District 9 had an extreme look, and I think it's a given that this is what the director was going for. "Normal" was not the desired look.

    Higher res and greater color spaces are part of the new Academy ACES file format, but it's not widely accepted at the moment.
    Yes I know, including the color shift in your vision system from in room lighting, I think I might have mentioned that here, definitely some thread lately. However, Sony's file, they should know what they are doing with their movie. But looking at many you know it is different. There is a yellow white balance on this display (a nice one), but more I think.

    District 9, doesn't matter it is what looks good, and was too extreme in my viewing, I should break out my br edition on my colour balanced screen. It is a general thing with all red foitage I have seen in the period. Lots of grey, OK, but the color needed more for the time.

    A scifi writer myself, I wonder when the next is coming. The end scene uses a simplified version of a control system I had for older stories.
    "We think, you do!"

    Reputation is something the unwise apply.
    But integrity is what the wise apply.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I believe this link via Sony Pictures is feeding via Flash:

    http://www.theamazingspiderman.com/
    Yes, thanks Marc
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts