Thread: RED EVOLTION

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Call me crazy, but if I had the choice of shooting RED One MX vs. Scarlet, I would pick the RED One for most gigs... OTOH, I haven't really shot much RED One anything since getting EPIC. I'm kinda addicted to 5K...
    +1 to all above. We still often use our Red 01 MX and love it.

I, for one, will miss my R1 but the thing that kept me from getting out there more was the form factor. That is why, although very happy with the images, I jumped for the EPIC-X deal. I feel much more empowered to get out and make more imagery. Faster, better and just more handy.

This is going to be a good year. And!, I just got my DSMC side-handle shipping notice.

Sha-wang!
    EPIC-X: #1908 "Ataraxia"
    O'connor 2060HD support
    www.napavalleyhd.com

again...amazed at the R1. Just shot 2 days 12+ hours each day and the R1 never ever gave up... We had card, drives...it was insane.

Funny though, there was a guy doing a behind the scenes with his 5dmkII who at the beginning of the first day was telling me how his 5dmkII with Technicolor profile can rival RED's RAW and can do this and that...and it's better than the RED blah blah ( I own a 5dmkII but what the heck...I let him talk my ear off...) yet a couple of times his cam overheated during the day and had to be turned off...hmm. Bad Karma.

Honestly though...I've never shot with an EPIC or SCARLET, yet I've held a few crazy EPIC/SCARLET contraptions out there that weigh more than a handheld R1.

For now, the R1 feels comfy to me... I will eventually go EPIC or SCARLET but not because of weight but because of new features that my clients request and the R1 can't deliver.

R1 can go to battle in a world where advertising agencies STILL request 5dmkII ( a fad within agencies that lives on) and now the ALEXA...

MOVIE GROOVY
    Coco | Creative Director
    6822 22nd Avenue North #101
    St. Petersburg, Florida 33710
    727.492.3338 | moviegroovy.com
    RED ONE® MX #6596
    SCARLET-X® #2972 "Kodachrome"

Quote Originally Posted by CocoBermudez View Post
    again...amazed at the R1. Just shot 2 days 12+ hours each day and the R1 never ever gave up... We had card, drives...it was insane.

Funny though, there was a guy doing a behind the scenes with his 5dmkII who at the beginning of the first day was telling me how his 5dmkII with Technicolor profile can rival RED's RAW and can do this and that...and it's better than the RED blah blah ( I own a 5dmkII but what the heck...I let him talk my ear off...) yet a couple of times his cam overheated during the day and had to be turned off...hmm. Bad Karma.

Honestly though...I've never shot with an EPIC or SCARLET, yet I've held a few crazy EPIC/SCARLET contraptions out there that weigh more than a handheld R1.

For now, the R1 feels comfy to me... I will eventually go EPIC or SCARLET but not because of weight but because of new features that my clients request and the R1 can't deliver.

R1 can go to battle in a world where advertising agencies STILL request 5dmkII ( a fad within agencies that lives on) and now the ALEXA...
    I simply refuse to shoot video on a DSLR for any reason. There is no context in which that is a good tool choice. We all have to stand up and fight, because if a shot screws up (moire, compression, so many problems) they will not blame the agency creative, they will blame US. I also HATE over-sharpened skin pores (a huge problem with crappy prosumer cameras that is not discussed often enough.) JUST SAY NO to crap tools. My reason for saying no: "I have high standards at every turn. DSLRs do not meet those standards. If you want to hire someone with low standards who pays little attention to finer details go ahead." How many clients would answer "yes, what I want is someone more sloppy and careless"? None, in my experience.

I don't see what features the Scarlet has that a client would request, other than smaller size. The R1 does everything the Scarlet does and more.

The r1 also does one thing neither the Scarlet nor the Epic can: It shoots 4K 16:9. 4K 16:9 is incredibly useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ruffo View Post
    I simply refuse to shoot video on a DSLR for any reason. There is no context in which that is a good tool choice. We all have to stand up and fight, because if a shot screws up (moire, compression, so many problems) they will not blame the agency creative, they will blame US. I also HATE over-sharpened skin pores (a huge problem with crappy prosumer cameras that is not discussed often enough.) JUST SAY NO to crap tools. My reason for saying no: "I have high standards at every turn. DSLRs do not meet those standards. If you want to hire someone with low standards who pays little attention to finer details go ahead." How many clients would answer "yes, what I want is someone more sloppy and careless"? None, in my experience.

I don't see what features the Scarlet has that a client would request, other than smaller size. The R1 does everything the Scarlet does and more.

The r1 also does one thing neither the Scarlet nor the Epic can: It shoots 4K 16:9. 4K 16:9 is incredibly useful.
    ? The epic shoots 16:9 4k, no? Like 4 times HD if wanted at least last time I checked but those frames sizes change on every update. I think the best would be if they where just user settings X pixels times Y pixels. Then the number of pixels would set your framerate on a given compression.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Epic - HAWK C 35-135mm - Milo MoCo - Droidworx Mikrokopter