Thread: Darn! Some of my files have gone "offline". . .

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Darn! Some of my files have gone "offline". . . 
    Okay, I know I'm an incompetent noob with CS5.5, but I hit some command and all of my media files from one sequence have gone offline, and I can't for the life of me find any way to get them back. I think I at one time accidentally hit a button that said "edit offline" or something like that, but I can't find any command anywhere that will bring this footage back to me.

What am I supposed to do?

Thanks so much for your help.

Stephen
    RED One M-X "Lewis" (#791)
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema).
    Second feature film, Terminal, now in post-production in Kansas City and scheduled for a late 2014 release.
    Third feature film, The Reel, currently in pre-production and scheduled for production during fall 2015, followed by fourth feature, Dust, in fall 2016.

Stephen, sounds like you are on a Mac, while my only experience is Windows based. That said, I've had all my timeline files go offline before. Usually what happened was I moved where my original files were stored. It just became a process of re-linking the timeline files to their (originals) new location. My experience has been that if the moved files were all still together, linking just one of the files on the timeline to the new location would serve as a pathfinder to all the files and the entire timeline would be restored.

hope this helps.
    One camera is a shoot... two or more is a production...
    Chrysalis... shooting 2015
    L.C. (Elsie) N., dba nelloProductions, LLC

Select all your media and then click Project > Link Media - find one clip, and the rest will link automatically as long as you haven't change source media directory structure.

cheers,

JT

Senior Member Christian Munoz D's Avatar
    USA-Chile-Worldwide ----Red One & Epic Owner----
    Yeap, that is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by John Tissavary View Post
    Select all your media and then click Project > Link Media - find one clip, and the rest will link automatically as long as you haven't change source media directory structure.

cheers,

JT
    Christian Muñoz-Donoso

Equilibrio Films, LLC
    cmunoz at equilibriofilms dot com
    Studio: +1 646-397-9498
    Massachusetts, USA

www.ChristianMunozDonoso.com
    www.EquilibrioFilms.com
    www.WildViewSeries.org

Unfortunately, I neither moved any files (at all) nor is "project>link media" even a valid command. It's grayed out completely. I do seem to remember hitting an "work offline" or something button accidentally, but that's it.

I am on a Mac. Any other thoughts?

Stephen
    RED One M-X "Lewis" (#791)
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema).
    Second feature film, Terminal, now in post-production in Kansas City and scheduled for a late 2014 release.
    Third feature film, The Reel, currently in pre-production and scheduled for production during fall 2015, followed by fourth feature, Dust, in fall 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Pruitt View Post
    Unfortunately, I neither moved any files (at all) nor is "project>link media" even a valid command. It's grayed out completely. I do seem to remember hitting an "work offline" or something button accidentally, but that's it.

I am on a Mac. Any other thoughts?

Stephen
    can You post a screenshot

since your option to link files is grayed out, I assume that whatever the location is of your source files, it must not be connecting since the application is saying essentially that there are no source files to link to. Check cables etc.
    One camera is a shoot... two or more is a production...
    Chrysalis... shooting 2015
    L.C. (Elsie) N., dba nelloProductions, LLC