Thread: Color Correction for "TimeScapes 4K"

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Friday View Post
    Tom,
    do you see realtime results when checkboxing Alchemy? I've looked on some shots and don't see any realtime difference in look. Now, i've not tried to transcode out yet, but just step one.
    Thanks.....

EDIT: Ok, I know why i'm not seeing it. I'm monitoring out of SDI and those effects are likely similar to HDRX in that you cannot monitor them via rocket card out via SDI....i do see them if i turn off my external rocket monitor and view in on my workspace monitor within RCX pro. Sure would be nice if we could get those effects to be seen out of SDI and rocket.
    Or perhaps they end up being utilized by Resolve which could then perhaps offload them to the BM HD-SDI output.
    Steve Sherrick
    Chief Collaborator
    Modern Vintage Media
    STEVESHERRICK.COM
    Local 600 DIT/Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    Or perhaps they end up being utilized by Resolve which could then perhaps offload them to the BM HD-SDI output.
    Steve.
    Resolve can't do as you'd suggested, as it is not a color grading software for RED cameras only. Resolve is camera agnostic and, as you know, Alchemy doesn't apply to any other cameras. I strongly believe, that it's wrong path, where only certain cameras use specialized hardware, like RR for debayer (no other camera manufacturers does that) or uses specialized software, like Alchemy. What would happen, if Sony, ARRI, Canon all started doing the same thing? Bad idea all around...

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Steve.
    Resolve can't do as you'd suggested, as it is not a color grading software for RED cameras only. Resolve is camera agnostic and, as you know, Alchemy doesn't apply to any other cameras. I strongly believe, that it's wrong path, where only certain cameras use specialized hardware, like RR for debayer (no other camera manufacturers does that) or uses specialized software, like Alchemy. What would happen, if Sony, ARRI, Canon all started doing the same thing? Bad idea all around...
    A more interesting idea might be for Resolve to provide its own toolset with similar capabilities. Alchemy reminds me a bit of Clarity in Lightroom. Perhaps for a serious colorist it's a cheap trick, but as Reslove makes its way more into the mainstream, those kinds of tools will gain it fans.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Portland, ME; Boston, MA
    EPIC-M #1053

Bruce, did you use Resolve for these shots?

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    A more interesting idea might be for Resolve to provide its own toolset with similar capabilities. Alchemy reminds me a bit of Clarity in Lightroom. Perhaps for a serious colorist it's a cheap trick, but as Reslove makes its way more into the mainstream, those kinds of tools will gain it fans.
    Pretty much all high end color grading software supports plug ins one way or another. The most popular framework for that is OFX. Baselight, Nucoda, Smoke and Scratch all support OFX type plug ins. Once Resolve joins the club, many software manufacturers will be able create plugins, like Alchemy. But not now...

Steve.
    Jake, what I was actually wondering is if there's a way to tie this into the RED source window within Resolve, in other words somehow tied to the SDK that Resolve is using. It would of course have to come from RED. Maybe this isn't possible. I'm just not sure.
    Steve Sherrick
    Chief Collaborator
    Modern Vintage Media
    STEVESHERRICK.COM
    Local 600 DIT/Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    Jake, what I was actually wondering is if there's a way to tie this into the RED source window within Resolve, in other words somehow tied to the SDK that Resolve is using. It would of course have to come from RED. Maybe this isn't possible. I'm just not sure.
    If Red decides to include Alchemy in SDK, then, sure, it's possible. But this is a slippery slope, when manufacturer starts including "looks" into SDK. I frequently get mixed source timelines, ie. canon, red, alexa, sony. If that happens and you apply the Alchemy "look" for red files, then how does one applies the same "look" to canon, alexa, sony? As it is, users are confused by complexities of RAW workflow. Don't underestimate the pushback of non-red crowd. If anything, red needs to simplify the workflow, as in Alexa workflow, not complicate it.

If Red decides to include Alchemy in SDK, then, sure, it's possible. But this is a slippery slope, when manufacturer starts including "looks" into SDK. I frequently get mixed source timelines, ie. canon, red, alexa, sony. If that happens and you apply the Alchemy "look" for red files, then how does one applies the same "look" to canon, alexa, sony? As it is, users are confused by complexities of RAW workflow. Don't underestimate the pushback of non-red crowd. If anything, red needs to simplify the workflow, as in Alexa workflow, not complicate it.
    But in fairness, they have a RAW development source window for RED, which is where I was thinking this would end up if anywhere. That way, it's treated like FLUT, or any other parameter in there. Now, I completely admit I'm not sure exactly what they are doing with Alchemy. I have my theories, but that's all they are. So again, maybe it's not something that actually belongs in the REDCODE RAW source settings and perhaps is more like a plug-in. I'd have to be schooled on exactly how Alchemy is working.
    Steve Sherrick
    Chief Collaborator
    Modern Vintage Media
    STEVESHERRICK.COM
    Local 600 DIT/Operator

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    Which aspect of Alchemy specifically?

The lightness-only S-curve? You can do that in Resolve.

The combination sharpen / mist effect? That is already in Resolve (not quite the same, but similar)

Better saturation setup than R3D decode saturation? That is also in Resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lowe View Post
    Bruce, did you use Resolve for these shots?
    Yes. Finally off work now and will make screenshots for ya :)

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    Which aspect of Alchemy specifically?

The lightness-only S-curve? You can do that in Resolve.

The combination sharpen / mist effect? That is already in Resolve (not quite the same, but similar)

Better saturation setup than R3D decode saturation? That is also in Resolve.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com
    :-)
    Steve Sherrick
    Chief Collaborator
    Modern Vintage Media
    STEVESHERRICK.COM
    Local 600 DIT/Operator