Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: scarlet noise and need help with redcine-x denoise

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 scarlet noise and need help with redcine-x denoise 
    Hi, I've loaded Tonaci's first scarlet footage into Redcine-x. The footage was downloaded from this post in the 1st Scarlet thread link

I am surprised at the level of noise, is this normal?

I see no effect from the denoise slider in redcine-x.
    After pulling the r3d into rcx the only parameter I changed was the denoise slider.
    This screengrab below is not scaled. To see it at 100%, click on it, then click again.
    Top image denoise=0
    Bottom image denoise=6

Any help appreciated ... many thanks !

J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Senior Member Jeffrey T. Morgan's Avatar
    I had the same reaction and results last night. I found the JPG much more robust and satisfying. First, I would not click on the r3d and "open with" RCX. I would open RCX and then find the file in the browser. That gives me the full resolution.

Also, the JPG didn't have nearly the grain the r3d seemed to, at least once you start correcting it.

I guess I am just agreeing and also stating that the r3d isn't responding in the way I am expecting or wanting, not like other r3d's do or jpg's do. MMy most satisfying results are to get the file into Premiere and to get a good color correction program on it, then it is just GORGEOUS!
    Jeffrey T. Morgan
    Producer • Director • Cinematographer (Local 600) • Editor
    www.PrometheusMotionPictures.com . . . Twitter: (at) JeffreyTMorgan

SCARLET-X #1633 "The Dark Knight", Panasonic GH4
    PL and Canon Mount, Contax Zeiss lenses

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    The denoise in RCX is chroma-NR that works on full demosaic only. As I can't really see chroma noise in the dark shadows, it's not surprising you're seeing little effect. The chroma denoise works well when chroma noise is quite visible, otherwise you won't see it. Those darkest shadows are over 8 stops down from clip, and you're seeing a mild organic grain-like effect. I'm not worried.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

Apply alchemy and some clarity
    EPIC-X DRAGON 7424

Thanks Graeme. When you say "8 stops down from the clip" ...
    How are you measuring stops in redcine, is there a scope where I should be looking?
    Also, by 'clip' are you referring to the point at which white clips?

BTW - I switched it to RedLogFilm and applied an S curve and the grain improved dramatically
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    I went into the file and looked at the RAW linear light code values recorded, and yes I'm referring to the point at which the data clips.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

Great. I look forward to seeing more footage from your new camera.
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

The question about noise came up in another thread too, because of Philip Bloom's statement about EPIC/Scarlet being noisier than a F3.

This thread is a example why people could be mislead into thinking the MX-sensor produces too much noise or doesn't perform well in lowlight. The first mistake that has been done here is looking 1:1 at a 4k/RAW-image and probably comparing that to screengrabs of other cameras. You'll notice more noise that way for sure, the pixels are smaller and the image has not been post-processed (slightly de-noised) in camera for more efficient AVC/MPEG-compression. Don't just pixelpeep on 4k-RAW-images and don't use RED's cropped 1080p-footage for comparisons, thats just not fair and shows only a part of the story. The competition with S35-FullHD-sensors better show less noise if you do that, or the people behind those cameras did something essential wrong. ;)

To make a more fair comparison you should downscale the RED-image to 1080p (thats what the competition delivers with a s35-sized sensor) and apply a de-noise-filter if needed (as i said, other cameras do that in real-time). Sure, you have more and better options to choose from, but hey, thats just one good reason for RAW. Remember, shooting RAW is a different strategy, all the post-processing is up to you and hell yeah, you have alot more potential with that insane amount of image-data. It will need some more work to get rid of noise, granted, but you win more freedom and of course 4k!

I'll always take 4k/16bit/RAW over highly compressed 1080p, even if it shows a bit more noise at first sight.

I'll bet that properly post-processed RED images will stay on top of any fair comparison.

neat video noise reduction removes the noise very well. Here are before and afters, give em a second to load because they're each about 8mb:

http://www.sceneblock.com/images/_Scarlet_Before%20Neat%20Video.tif

http://www.sceneblock.com/images/_Sc...at%20Video.tif
    - zack

--
    Zack McTee
    zackmctee.com
    twitter.com/zackmctee

Senior Member Jeffrey T. Morgan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maik Müller Menendez View Post

This thread is a example why people could be mislead into thinking the MX-sensor produces too much noise...

I'll always take 4k/16bit/RAW over highly compressed 1080p, even if it shows a bit more noise at first sight..

I completely agree, Maik. I definitely don't want people to think Red shoots anything other than a color correcting dream! I have even fallen in love with footage from the Red M sensor, and MX is a 100 times better.

I want to make it clear that my twiddling on this thread is more about getting pleasant results in color correction via Redcine X or skipping RCX and getting right into Resolve / Magic Bullet / whatever.

The footage import processes and then the applying of new parameters certainly seems to result in unexpected results. Not wrong, just not ( for me ) intuitive in RCX.

I think that we have to be careful not to give the wrong impressions, but also that people who don't know better have to eventually be expected not to make wild statements about things they don't understand! lol. I have a sound guy who loves to tell me all the problems Red Cameras have.
    Jeffrey T. Morgan
    Producer • Director • Cinematographer (Local 600) • Editor
    www.PrometheusMotionPictures.com . . . Twitter: (at) JeffreyTMorgan

SCARLET-X #1633 "The Dark Knight", Panasonic GH4
    PL and Canon Mount, Contax Zeiss lenses