Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: scarlet noise and need help with redcine-x denoise

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress View Post
    The denoise in RCX is chroma-NR that works on full demosaic only. As I can't really see chroma noise in the dark shadows, it's not surprising you're seeing little effect. The chroma denoise works well when chroma noise is quite visible, otherwise you won't see it. Those darkest shadows are over 8 stops down from clip, and you're seeing a mild organic grain-like effect. I'm not worried.

Graeme
    Hi graeme, its really interesting what he's seeing. No doubt, i'm just wondering why i didn't see the same by directly dropping it in vegas pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Maik Müller Menendez View Post
    This thread is a example why people could be mislead into thinking the MX-sensor produces too much noise or doesn't perform well in lowlight. The first mistake that has been done here is looking 1:1 at a 4k/RAW-image and probably comparing that to screengrabs of other cameras.
    Just want to point out that I never compared this image to another camera - that was something you brought to the thread, not me.
    Also if you believe in the future is 4k then yes you should be looking at things at 1:1

edit:
    I also want to add that my earlier posts never criticized or passed judgement - they asked questions.
    If you believe this image makes RED look bad then that is also something you are bringing to the thread.
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Senior Member Jeffrey T. Morgan's Avatar
    I think this is just a great example of how different programs have different algorithms that respond differently for each codec and also for changing image subjects.

I love my real-time playback and edit in Adobe CS5 workflow that ends with me correcting the footage with Magic Bullet Look Suite and rendering right from the 4k files. I can use Dynamic Link to go into AE CS5 if I need something very specific. No transcoding, no Red Rocket, etc. For now I am still trying to work RCX into my process, but I have one that works amazingly, so there is no rush. Buit RCX is obviously a powerful tool, and it's free, so I am determined....
    Jeffrey T. Morgan
    Producer • Director • Cinematographer (Local 600) • Editor
    www.PrometheusMotionPictures.com . . . Twitter: (at) JeffreyTMorgan

SCARLET-X #1633 "The Dark Knight", Panasonic GH4
    PL and Canon Mount, Contax Zeiss lenses

Quote Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
    Just want to point out that I never compared this image to another camera - that was something you brought to the thread, not me.
    True, true, looks like i've read too much into your statement about being "surprised at the level of noise". Don't take my post that personal, i had a few other statements in mind too.

Also if you believe in the future is 4k then yes you should be looking at things at 1:1
    Agreed, but you can compare the results only to other 4k/s35/RAW-cams. ;)

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Remember that viewing 4k as 4k on a 4k display is quite different from viewing a crop of 4k on a < 4k display. But in this case, I'm playing back the movie clip here and it looks fine. There is a fine organic grain, but no objectionable noise.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 6k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    FLUT™, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms, REDRAY 4K delivery

I wonder about what some perceive as noise vs texture or grain in a digital image like this, regardless of what camera it comes from. Noise to me would be obvious pixel values that stand out as not belonging to the image. I don't really see that here.

Personally Graeme I love the way Red images degrade gracefully in shadow detail areas. It gives them a more organic film like look to my eye.

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Agreed David.
    www.red.com - 6k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    FLUT™, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms, REDRAY 4K delivery

I also think it looks very film like but there is something within me that prevents me from calling it grain, that would be inaccurate as its digital.

Maybe its this particular shot but for my own taste I would like to see a little less of it here. Maybe if this had more light.

Since iso is metadata then is this noise/grain amplified because the iso from the camera is set to 800?
    What is the native iso for epic/scarlet?
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

When I flip to RedLogFilm and iso 320 (and a slight push down on the lower S) the image suddenly looks very natural
    how I imagine it would have looked to the eye on the cloudy day Tonaci described

Attached Images
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Being one of many waiting for a Scarlet, I'm so happy to see some grain and noise. I hate images without friction :)