Thread: Media Composer 6 Real time playback?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes, a full debayer transcode can be quite time consuming. A Rocket card is recommended.
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

Guys it is still easier to use a rocket and transcode to dnx mxf first. I find the whole editing process of RED, natively on MC5 or 6 unusable, especially with a client sitting beside you.

Buying a rocket card is a good investment if you primarily work with RED files. The problem with AMA is that if you are on a unity/isis network, AMA doesn't always relink properly to the native files, and you cannot edit them simultaneously on 2 or more edit suites as they shit them selves.

Much easier to use REDCINE X.
    Adam Eden
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    Dragon M 8xx, Epic X 25xx, Arri Alexa XT 4:3 Plus, Rocket X, Helix (Seal Team)
    Steadicam and heaps of cool sh*t

Thanks for the info I will try transcoding in resolve tomorrow to check render speed.

Why Resolve? I find Redcine to be the better choice for Red footage if a one-light is all that is required. We do Redcine > MXF > Avid 5 and 6 all the time and don't have any issues. Also, if it is just for an offline, then a half debayer is plenty. Full debayer without Rocket takes awhile.

MichaelP.
    I hope you don't mind in helping me to figure out the problem with my new MC6 installation. I'm an Avid novice, so please keep that in mind.
    I just installed Avid MC6.
    I think I had a 5.5 version installed in the past, but it was removed.
    So, initially, when I'm in a process of creating a new project, I can see all three windows- source, record and the timeline.
    The moment I finish creating the project all three windows disappear and no matter what, I can't bring them back.
    I tried selecting different working spaces, but windows appear only momentarily and then immediately disappear.
    Is there something you could recommend in order to get rid of this problem?
    Thanks.

Such a question would be better posted on the Avid Forums: community.avid.com/forums/. Make sure you include your OS version, QT version and graphics card type and driver version in your system specifications or in the post itself.

Still can't get the batch to render from bin in RCXPro7. Forces me to select each clip into viewer, and then add to export. I can't get clips to export otherwise. But it's probably the best way to do a QC on each clip rather than simply do the handy cut and paste memory settings.

Paul -the transcodes with RR vary based on clip length obviously. I add all of my tweaked clips to the export window, then do a series of batch renders. Often it's pretty quick -sorry I know that's vague but I haven't paid really close attention. Definitely not real time but it does chug through at a reasonable clip...I'm one of these weirdos that likes to work at a higher resolution so my outputs on my feature are at DNx175 10 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Job ter Burg View Post
    Such a question would be better posted on the Avid Forums: community.avid.com/forums/. Make sure you include your OS version, QT version and graphics card type and driver version in your system specifications or in the post itself.
    Cool, thanks

Hey Jake

You might be experiencing a known bug- are you on a Mac where the... What's it called... Menu bar (?) is on the right hand monitor? You need to move it too the left monitor. I had this problem when I added Media Composer to my resolve system- which has the 'main' monitor on the right. On a two-monitor system media composer wants to put the video screens to othe right of the monitor with the menu bar- even when there's no monitor there.

This may also NOT obey your problem...

Omg, iOS 5 has aggressive autocorrect. 'this may also not be your problem.'.

I've heard there's a fix for that problem coming soon. Other users have brought it up, too.