Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: To buy a Scarlet or not to buy, that is the question…

Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    Philip is writing about his experience with Epic. Just like any of us writing about our experiences with cameras, there will be some variables that need to be considered and hence you have to be careful about jumping to any final conclusions without confirming things for yourself. I respect Philip, and I do trust that he is reporting his experiences honestly. It's unfortunate that he experienced problems that affected his shoots. All of us should be able to sympathize with that unless we have had our shoots go 100% fine every day we have ever shot anything. For most people that's not the case. Things happen.

Hopefully, his experience with the camera will improve. Whatever issues he is having will hopefully get solved and he will be confident in using the camera. I encourage everyone to be positive so that guys like Philip feel comfortable coming to Reduser for help when they need it, and sharing knowledge when they feel it might help others. Isn't that one of the main reasons we're here? I'd rather he feel like he can post about an issue he is having and get a quick response/solution from the community then to feel like he is going to get slaughtered if he comes here saying something isn't working right, or he's having problems.

As to his advice about whether to buy Scarlet or not, I've written two things that were attempts to get people to really think through their purchases. One was on my blog from October 26th called Beware The Hype Machine which is intended to get people to look beyond the marketing hype, whether it's RED, Canon, Sony, whoever and make sure the camera you are buying makes sense. The other was on Reduser and it was a Scarlet Buyers Guide that I wrote before the announcement on November 3rd. That was intended to make people think through what actually constitutes a shooting package based on the types of projects you do. These were both intended to help people, not talk them out of buying cameras. I assume Philip's goal is to help people as well, not to be negative.
    Steve Sherrick

2.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #132  
    Anyone who suggests that Philip is being paid by another company to write negatively about his own camera is nuts... and the inference won't be tolerated.

Philip had issues early on and hopefully we have addressed them. Stuff happens.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Over the last few months there's been an increasing amount of new members - and people 'posting without thinking'... in terms of what they're saying, how they're saying it or the inference/implications/results of what is being said.

It would be great to get back on track and focus on the kit - and what can be done with it :)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy White View Post
    Over the last few months there's been an increasing amount of new members - and people 'posting without thinking'... in terms of what they're saying, how they're saying it or the inference/implications/results of what is being said.

It would be great to get back on track and focus on the kit - and what can be done with it :)
    The best moderator is a brand spankin new Scarlet in all their hands ;)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas View Post
    Phil gives the pros and cons as he sees them and within the realm of the kind of productions he does, not much more can be asked of a person. The problem is that he is far less knowledgeable of cameras than he lets on (or maybe he doesn't know that he doesn't know?). He has lots of knowledge about how to USE them, but he constantly says flat out incorrect things about sensor design, codecs, sensor crops, lens characteristics, and so on.
    if you watch Phillips reviews, especially the Sony F3, FS100, 5D, AF 100 comparison he specifically speaks of being an extremely NON Technical and NON scientific test. He is very honest about his knowledge of cameras in most reviews I've read so not sure where you're going with this one.
    Eric J
    Creative Director/Artist Group Agency
    Designer/CEO/cineZEN USA - www.cinezenusa.com

This post has been quite informative. I was a bit confused as to what the scarlet can do and what it cannot do. After reading Phil's article, it made me realize I had a misunderstanding as to what the camera can do as well as the true cost of ownership. I decided to delay my purchase while I perfect my technique a little more with DSLR filmmaking. It is hard enough to make a film with so many details to worry about. Having to pile on that with numerous more camera details is a bit more than what I can handle at this point. In addition, I adjusted my price point to about $23,000 for the camera, gear, new computer, etc... If I am going to spend that much money, I want to make sure that I am getting what I am paying for without any unpleasant surprises.

I hope that when I am ready to buy the scarlet (hopefully by late next year), the Nikon mount will be out, the firmware will no longer be beta and maybe a better sensor that handles low light with even lower noise. I am looking forward to my purchase down the line but until then, I will pick up another HDSLR for now (Nikon D800, when it is finally released) and continue my lens purchases.

Thank you Red for such a forward thinking camera and Phil for educating me and helping me realize what is best for me. By the way, I really enjoy your blog Phil, been reading it on and off for a the last few months...great stuff.

7. #137 My first post... 
    Hello REDUSERs!

I have had the wonderful opportunity to participate in Camp RED as well as a Reducation class and will be returning for another Reducation next month. While I don't own a RED camera yet (the company I work for will be purchasing an Epic soon), I have come to appreciate the incredible resources and community that is afforded to us via video, blogging, message boards, and most uniquely - hands on training from the creators, themselves. I totally agree with Philip Bloom's logic of researching what you buy and thinking through your process of amortization before you invest in high dollar items such as these (that would be true for any purchase - I would think, right?). But if you are considering such a purchase, consider taking time to come and meet face to face with the RED community. The people who work for RED wholly believe in what they are doing and the users that are there are awesome. Perhaps a trip to Los Angeles and going through the Reducation courses as a means of really understanding what you are buying into, would be a valuable exercise.

To add another perspective, Michael Cioni (Founder and CEO of Light Iron) wrote an article about the Scarlet, which complements Philip Bloom's perspective.

http://michaelcioni.tumblr.com/post/...9/scarlets-web

It's great to have a community of people both, amateur and professional, to learn and grow as story-tellers. After seeing Che, I was a believer in the technology. Having been to Reducation, I am a believer in the ideas and spirit of what RED is about. I hope to have many meaningful conversations with all of you, learning from you and hopefully sharing something valuable in return.

Forums like these are extremely important and must continue, but try not to offend. Phillip Bloom's review is just that, a review. It's one persons opinion, that will inform you of the things you know and may not know. This has not stopped my pursuit of buying a Red, just enabled me to make a more informed decision (and get some money from the bank to buy the camera, LOL).

As mention buy another user:

if you watch Phillips reviews, especially the Sony F3, FS100, 5D, AF 100 comparison he specifically speaks of being an extremely NON Technical and NON scientific test. He is very honest about his knowledge of cameras in most reviews I've read so not sure where you're going with this one.
    And that's why like reading his reviews, It is from a fellow filmmaker like myself in a real life situation. Phillip has mention it's not about the equipment, but the job your doing. If it fits, use it. I want a Red because I want the result it yields, and fit's the type of work I want to get into.

Have a look at this, it will help when buying a camera to suit your needs: http://philipbloom.net/2011/11/20/macvideot/

The good thing about Red is the constant improvement, and quick results about problems that may occur. So I'm sure some of the issues will be resolved, if not done already.

Newbie: This is my first post

About Philip,

I started surveying cinematography equipment about two years ago, trying to learn everything I could about gear and gear options. Mind you, I am not a "cinematographer" - I am coming at this from the perspective of an independent writer/producer looking to make a feature film. During this journey of enlightenment I have found three people extremely helpful - they are: Roger Deakins, via his website forum, Shane Hurlbut, via his blog, and Philip Bloom. Philip has the opportunity to do a great deal of hands on with various gear. His reviews, which I always find to be honest and well-rounded, have brought my attention to rig options, lens perspectives, and so much more. Most importantly, for me, is the broad spectrum of gear he reviews - not just one manufacturer but many. He lets you know what options are out there. He gives you his experiences with using the gear. This kind of sharing is invaluable to me and has helped more than I can say.
    "It's not an everyday thing, but uh... it doesn't surprise me to be shot at." ~ Werner Herzog

Even if Philip's reviews were not useful to others he would have every right to state his experience with gear and companies.

The tension (on both sides) arises from the confusion between Philip Bloom the person and Philip Bloom the brand.
    \ \ \
    Ø F \ Ø Ø \ Ø 3
    \ \ \