Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC + Leica-M + Pier 59

Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    Any opinions on what SLR size/weight, F1.X lenses are the best for Epic. I have a set of Canon F1.2-2.0 primes now from my still shooting days - is that the best there is?
    -ZEB

Congrats ! That's a nice set up. Enjoy !

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Remember.. anything wider than a 35mm Leica-M is going to be optically not so great when paired to the EPIC.. The Ray angles are so extreme they just do not work with sensors who's micro mirrors were designed for tele centric or quasi-telecentric lenses.
    Implications of using rangefinder lenses on digital sensors designed for use with SLR (tele-centric) lenses include off-center color shift : http://diglloyd.com/articles/LeicaM/...-RayAngle.html The example is a Zeiss wide on a Leica M9 sensor, but the cause of the problem is the extreme ray angles and mismatch with the sensor microlenses - a mismatch that is worse, with similar results, when rangefinder lenses are used with SLRs. The particular way the problem shows itself in the posted photo is also a result of a mismatch/problem with Leica's in-camera firmware correction.

There are many more problems, all discussed at length on the diglloyd website. Poke around there if you like technical explanations.
    Last edited by Steve Wake; 03-04-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wake View Post
    Implications of using rangefinder lenses on digital sensors designed for use with SLR (tele-centric) lenses include off-center color shift : http://diglloyd.com/articles/LeicaM/...-RayAngle.html The example is a Zeiss wide on a Leica M9 sensor, but the cause of the problem is the extreme ray angles and mismatch with the sensor microlenses - a mismatch that is worse, with similar results, when rangefinder lenses are used with SLRs. The particular way the problem shows itself in the posted photo is also a result of a mismatch/problem with Leica's in-camera firmware correction.

There are many more problems, all discussed at length on the diglloyd website. Poke around there if you like technical explanations.
    This is why support for .R3D raw in photo processing programs like Lightroom would be useful. Profiling and batch processing clips for specific lens/sensor matches would be useful in some circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wake View Post

I get it now. Bummer . . . that 21mm 1.4 would look sexy on an Epic.
    -ZEB

wow really? so it's the sensor . real shame.
    But I have been using the leica summilux 50 1.4 apsh with great success.

Will this mount be ready by late May? Very excited about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lowe View Post
    Will this mount be ready by late May? Very excited about this.

I think as Jarred said might not be till June... :(

Was really looking forward to use my Noctilux .95 and 90mm 2.0 lenses this week, but I guess will have to wait till summer.
    KETCH ROSSiF i l m m a k e r
    RED EPIC #00008 aka DragonM8

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Blame Leica on the extended elements towards the sensor... :-)

We are working on it.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

After all it seams that RED and LEICA is mariage made in haven! Thanks Sanjin for first introduction. I hope that You will continue your valuable service for this community. Puno hvala i sve najbolje!
    Milan Nikolic :)