Thread: Help: How to send signal to 4K monitor?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    I think Lucas Wilson demonstrated SCRATCH outputting 4k a couple of years ago using dual NVIDIA cards. A single card is limited to 2560x1600 per port. (two per card)
    Yes, you can get something like this. I'm involved with a project right now where we are implementing this type of thing.
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadroplex.html
    Steve Sherrick
    Chief Collaborator
    Modern Vintage Media
    STEVESHERRICK.COM
    Local 600 DIT/Operator

Looking at the specifications page, I think it is suggested that all you need is 4x 1920x1080 inputs. Might want to confirm with the TVLogics team. If so, all you really need is a second graphics card. There are AMD GPUs which support up to 6 outputs off the same card (i.e. upto 15K across), not sure if there's an NVIDIA equivalent. Quadro NVS cards have 4 display outputs driving upto 5120x3200 but that's all they do - the GPUs powering them are entry-level. Needless to say, you will need 2x Quadros as this is a 10-bit panel. GeForces won't suffice (it will work but the output would be 8-bit). We know Resolve will use both GPUs and hopefully a future version of Premiere Pro will also utilize both GPUs. 2 x Quadro 5000, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lowe View Post
    Thanks. So what's the difference between the Kona 3G 4K card and the Decklink 4K?

Is there a Quadra card that does 4K?
    Im curios about almost the same thing. Would like to know how a Decklink 4K would fit a 4k premiere workflow. And also if there is a Quadra card that does 4K?

Quote Originally Posted by Subhadip Sen View Post
    Looking at the specifications page, I think it is suggested that all you need is 4x 1920x1080 inputs. Might want to confirm with the TVLogics team. If so, all you really need is a second graphics card. There are AMD GPUs which support up to 6 outputs off the same card (i.e. upto 15K across), not sure if there's an NVIDIA equivalent. Quadro NVS cards have 4 display outputs driving upto 5120x3200 but that's all they do - the GPUs powering them are entry-level. Needless to say, you will need 2x Quadros as this is a 10-bit panel. GeForces won't suffice (it will work but the output would be 8-bit). We know Resolve will use both GPUs and hopefully a future version of Premiere Pro will also utilize both GPUs. 2 x Quadro 5000, perhaps?
    So on 4k screens you dont have one port but instead 4 inputs? is this correct?

Tom,

I have 4K out (HDMI or 4x HD-SDI) from a day one when I've got Red Rocket card but not 4K monitor.

Already I experimented to hook 4x HD HDMI monitors and it worked.

Maybe the best is to contact Michael Cioni from LIGHTIRON Digital who first showed us here at the forum some years ago how 4K monitoring worked with 4x HDMI displays,...
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

--------

500px >>>
    Twitter >>>
    Facebook >>>
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    So on 4k screens you dont have one port but instead 4 inputs? is this correct?
    It depends on the display. DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 1.4 both support 4K over a single cable, but most 4K displays today (incl the one in the OP) don't feature DP1.2 or HDMI1.4 inputs and hence need multiple inputs. AMD's HD 7970 has both HDMI 1.4 and DP 1.2 outputs and I believe NVIDIA's next-gen GPUs will too. Quite a few current gen GPUs do have DP 1.2. Of course, all the upcoming QHD displays support HDMI 1.4 inputs at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lowe View Post
    Thanks. So what's the difference between the Kona 3G 4K card and the Decklink 4K?
    the deckling 4K is not on the market yet , has been announced in april but is still not available , i think that it will not be introduced until Resolve can easily handle 4K grading .

one thing to aware is that working in 4K (Like premiere , resolve etc...) it require wayyy more resources , the Red rocket Trough RCX is the only software that would easily work having 4K output , but system like resolve would require at least 4 of the most powerful GPU (reason i believe why they moved to windows , to have the quadro 6000 and the GTX 580 , to be able to launch 4K color grading (that so far does not exist on resolve (4K dpx or Red 4K are always been used on a 2k project ..)

g