Quote Originally Posted by axel ebermann View Post
thanks guys. that is what I told them all along. Double up the image, delay by two frames and adjust opacity.... but they WANT to do it in camera so badly :-)
The problem with doing it in-camera is that you can't reduce it later on -- you're stuck with it forever. I think you're much wiser shooting it straight and then varying the delay/smearing/whatever effect in post. There's a dozen different ways to do this; I like the idea of an after image that kind of trails off and evaporates, which would be something done in Shake or After Effects or a similar outboard VFX tool.

For music videos in the bad old days, I'd occasionally talk the client into just using massive amounts of real-time noise reduction, which would basically do the same kind of thing. But we always laid down two passes -- one unaffected, one processed -- so they could mix and match. Sometimes, they used combinations of both, using different degrees of opacity as a key or dissolve. But I wouldn't bake something like this in permanently to the original footage.