Thread: Until the REDMOTE PRO comes out, Canon lenses are...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Until the REDMOTE PRO comes out, Canon lenses are... 
    ... not nearly as useful?

Due to price, I'm interested in Canon L primes. Great optically, yes they have issues for cinema use (breathing, manual focusing), but for the price they're hard to beat, especially compared to PL lenses at $4k-$20k a pop (most of which are a stop slower). After watching some demos of the Birger Canon mount with the Viewfactor Impero follow focus... that's pretty incredible, right? And one can only assume that the reason RED has made a great electronic Canon mount (and is selling SCARLETs with Canon mounts as a default option) is so this kind of functionality can become much more the norm. You know... being able to pull focus without using bulky lens gears and follow focuses (focusi?). Pretty awesome.

But until the REDMOTE PRO comes out... is there an alternative for pulling focus, other than to deal with the crappy focus rings on Canon still lenses by hand? I'd like to be able to shoot cine-style with a SCARLET-X package and Canon primes until the REDMOTE PRO comes out, and given we haven't heard anything about that in quite some time... it could be a while. Thanks for any thoughts!
    • Writer/director of the feature MANCHILD; Watch the short prequel AMATEUR (Vimeo Staff Pick) free online, Shot on RED
    • Founder of nofilmschool, Total Film's Best Creative Blog (RED posts here)

Get your 'L' lenses cinevised by Duclos.

I've also found Zacuto's zip gears work pretty well for still lenses.

You can also assign the wheel on the side handle to focus... I'm pretty sure.

You could also get a red-mote for now, and sell it when the pro is available.
    Jason Beckwith

DoP Reel
    Project Arbiter
    Taking Eden (My comic book)

What Jason said. I too think Redmote Pro will be a mega-hit. Most haven't seen what Birger can do. Remember you'll also have the Nikon option as well. Would love to hear ETA on Redmote Pro.
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

Ryan, here's a quote from Jarred in the Canon mount thread

"both REDMOTES will " Manually " control focus.. the REDMOTE PRO uses a proper focus knob.. the REDMOTE you use the scroll wheel that surrounds the NAV."

So you WILL be able to remotely control focus on Canon lenses even without the Redmote Pro, using just a regular Redmote. Jarred stated this at lest three times in that thread
    "Production value!"

Yes, but I can’t imagine pulling focus with the scroll wheel especially in 4K.
    I think I will get some Imperio gears mean time.

http://www.viewfactor.net/index.php/...ls/impero.html

Anybody knows if Curt is out of the woods with the motors yet?

http://www.viewfactor.net/index.php/...ts/motors.html

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew M. View Post

Anybody knows if Curt is out of the woods with the motors yet?

http://www.viewfactor.net/index.php/...ts/motors.html

Andrew
    Hi Andrew, We are still waiting on the Viewfactor stuff, but things seem to be coming along gradually. The last update from Curt was that the final boards were due early November, so they should be in now. I would not hold your breath for the follow focus system to be released soon as it been a three year journey so far.

I use his Imperio and kind of got used to it.

Fast, smooth and very precise and very ergonomic. But I need his motors with EPIC.
    I think he could modify Imperio firmware to work with EPIC and Canon lenses though.

RED should open the remote communication protocol to facilitate 3rd party addons, if it is not already out in the open.

Don’t think RED scrabbles communications from REDMOTE

Thanks Demetri, but yes as Andrew said -- no one actually wants to pull focus with a scroll wheel. Compare that to the smooth action seen here:

http://blip.tv/red101-dvd/birger-mount-pt-i-1951045
    • Writer/director of the feature MANCHILD; Watch the short prequel AMATEUR (Vimeo Staff Pick) free online, Shot on RED
    • Founder of nofilmschool, Total Film's Best Creative Blog (RED posts here)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Koo View Post
    Thanks Demetri, but yes as Andrew said -- no one actually wants to pull focus with a scroll wheel. Compare that to the smooth action seen here:

http://blip.tv/red101-dvd/birger-mount-pt-i-1951045
    Well, until the REDMOTE Pro comes out then, I'd just use an FF with hard stops (like the Arri mini FF) and equip it with a smaller gear to get more rotation out of it with a short focus throw Canon lenses have (I hope I remember it right — smaller gear=longer rotation).
    Last edited by Demetri Zuev; 11-14-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    "Production value!"

Anyone know approx when thr REDmote pro will arrive? 3-6 months? A year? Longer?