Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: REDCINE-X Professional Build 6 Beta...

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The crop box is much improved but still doesn't interact how I'd prefer. My Adobe indoctrinated fingers want it to behave in a more familiar way, but its getting there!
    DRAGON / DRAGON CARBON FIBER - AVAILABLE FOR PRODUCTION AND RENTAL NOW! - www.kippertie.com
    DRAGON MONOCHROME - rentmonochro.me

Check out our showreel or talk to us @kippertieltd
    KipperTie creative media for business

And it will be awesome even more if this RCX can generate a LUT for another grading machine. Phew...!Go Red team...!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lowe View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is a really stupid question, but how do I grade a clip in Red Cine Pro, mess with settings like Alchemy, and then save the color-correction is such a way that I can open it up in Premiere Pro CS5.5? What is the most convenient way of doing that?
    I think this is a great question. It really goes to the heart of how we structure out workflows. I think the short answer for right now is that since the Alchemy box is all post-debayer effects, and they are not yet in the SDK that Premiere uses, you have to render out to some RGB format and go to Premiere from there. In some ways, I'm beginning to think that it would be better if RCX could work like a plugin in an editing program, so that the editing software would not always be behind the color-science curve. If RCX could be responsible for debayering and rendering an RGB stream that it handed off to the editing program, any update to RCX would be an instant update to Premiere or Avid or whatever you were using.

As wonderful as these tools are (RCX, Premiere, Resolve, etc....) their interoperability is a challenge. I'd love it if someone at Red would publish a short "Theory of operation" on this. What does Red think is the best way to interact with other software?

For example, if I'm using RCX Pro on set, and I use Alchemy to create the look, it can't go back to the camera. So maybe it's not a good idea to open that box on set.

Another question: If Alchemy is "destructive" in the way sharpening is, you'd want it to be applied very late in the signal chain. Does that mean that if you're going to do your final grade in Resolve or Baselight or elsewhere you should stay away from Alchemy? Obviously testing is in order, but it would be great to know what the guys who wrote it are thinking about these things.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Portland, ME; Boston, MA
    EPIC-M #1053

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lowe View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is a really stupid question, but how do I grade a clip in Red Cine Pro, mess with settings like Alchemy, and then save the color-correction is such a way that I can open it up in Premiere Pro CS5.5? What is the most convenient way of doing that?
    Yes, I'm asking myself the same question... Not even for Alchemy, but because RCX is a great tool, and I would like to adjuste my raw setting inside such an app, rather than the Premiere Pro Box (where I cannot zoom for exemple). But when I tryed to generate a RMD file, I didn't understand how import to it into Premiere.

Quote Originally Posted by Julien Deka View Post
    Yes, I'm asking myself the same question... Not even for Alchemy, but because RCX is a great tool, and I would like to adjuste my raw setting inside such an app, rather than the Premiere Pro Box (where I cannot zoom for exemple). But when I tryed to generate a RMD file, I didn't understand how import to it into Premiere.
    that's easy. When you go back int Premiere, select the clip in the project window, right-click (contorl-click on Mac), select "source settings", then click the "reload from RMD" button.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Portland, ME; Boston, MA
    EPIC-M #1053

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    What's a "built-in color correction solutions"?
    Built into the NLE, I mean. Like FCP's 3-way color corrector plug-in. Or whatever comes with Premiere. As opposed to a dedicated package, like Color or Resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    In some ways, I'm beginning to think that it would be better if RCX could work like a plugin in an editing program, so that the editing software would not always be behind the color-science curve. If RCX could be responsible for debayering and rendering an RGB stream that it handed off to the editing program, any update to RCX would be an instant update to Premiere or Avid or whatever you were using.
    I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say anything ;) Happens all the time in software development, give people too much, and they just want more! But yeah, in my dream world, I'd be able to edit R3D files directly in my NLE of choice, and have an RCX plugin that lets me non-destructively apply color corrections whenever I want in the editing process. And it would have keyframes, and masks, and give me backrubs and make me breakfast...
    http://www.magicgoggles.com

Epic-X #7703 "Ilsa"

Per haps what I really mean is not a plugin, but something more like Adobe's Dynamic Link, where an AE sequence inside Premiere is rendered using AE's render engine, and the result handed off to Premiere for the rest of whatever you're doing with it. I don't really want a plugin, and all that implies. RCX is a great stand-alone app. But I'd like to somehow solve the problem of the SDK continually lagging behind what Red is doing in RCX.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Portland, ME; Boston, MA
    EPIC-M #1053

Senior Member Marcos Montenegro's Avatar
    You mean have RCX behave like Adobe's Camera RAW before it gets imported into Premiere? Now that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    Per haps what I really mean is not a plugin, but something more like Adobe's Dynamic Link, where an AE sequence inside Premiere is rendered using AE's render engine, and the result handed off to Premiere for the rest of whatever you're doing with it. I don't really want a plugin, and all that implies. RCX is a great stand-alone app. But I'd like to somehow solve the problem of the SDK continually lagging behind what Red is doing in RCX.

REDuser Sponsor
    Really basic free tutorial that I threw together for people just starting out - hoping to help make the introduction to the power of Redcode Raw very easy for the uninitiated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9IIpFvx0uA

Very cool of you Dan, thank you
    Matt Fleming - VFX, Matchmoving, & CGI

IMDB credits
    www.chromasmith.com