Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Scarlet X Data Sheet

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Thanks so much for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pavy View Post
    Hi Phil, I thought I had it until you added this on the 1st page referring to the Gas Mask man with the orange flower.

"For instance if you wanted to shoot this same frame 4k at 80mm and then capture some slow motion 2k from the same spot you'd use an 162mm lens, which would likely only exist in a zoom."

Maybe I read it wrong.
    Doh. Here I go and try to simplify and I bust out a mistake. It should read:

For instance if you wanted to shoot some slow motion at 2k with a 50mm lens and then capture some 24fps at 4k with the same frame you would use a 162mm lens, which would likely only exist in a zoom.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Phew, I thought I had it all arse about face there for a minute lol

Awsome phil thanks!!!

Any chance you can do a chart for crop sensor lens APS-C shooting in 3k or 2k. Would love to know the chart so if I need to scale down for higher frame rates, I can know the comparative lens in 4k.

This will be great for maintaining a wider frame at the lower resolutions.

So, if you wanted to shoot 3K with your Scarlet, the Tokina 11-16 would give you the equivalent to a 22mm wide (in FF35 terms). Not too bad, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dalton View Post
    Awsome phil thanks!!!

Any chance you can do a chart for crop sensor lens APS-C shooting in 3k or 2k. Would love to know the chart so if I need to scale down for higher frame rates, I can know the comparative lens in 4k.

bingo !!!!!! finally someone gets it and is not relating everything back to the full frame stills world

For referencing field of view (fov) back to 4k I use 4k, 3k, 2k and 1k as my multipliers and dividers
    4 is double 2 so 50mm on 4k is the same fov as 25mm on 2k
    Similarly 1/4 of 50mm is 12.5 so 50mm on 4k is the same fov as 12.5mm on 1k
    And then 37.5mm at 3k etc.. etc ..
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dalton View Post
    Awsome phil thanks!!!

There's a chance that I'd do that. If I did I'd probably include more standard cinema focal lengths and the widest you could go on the rectilinear side currently.

Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
    bingo !!!!!! finally someone gets it and is not relating everything back to the full frame stills world
    I think the global thing to keep in mind that this is relative to a what your "full frame" capture is per camera. For instance, those shooting full frame on an EPIC they would base the 1.0x multiplier on the APS-H sized sensor. For Scarlet X we would want one based on APS-C, which is useful and why I created the above image. Down the line, when the larger RED sensors get deployed we'll have to do this again. When Red releases their FF35 (VistaVision) sized sensor the Data Sheet will still be valid and preferred by those who have that as a base focal length multiplier.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Phil.. you are a legend. This is incredible. You have earned yourself a favor. use it wisely :)

Man I love stuff like this.

Thanks.

Nice work in deed Phil... ;)

Not that I ever used and or really care for it, but Boy do I get asked a lot every were... Now I just show it to them ha ha... THANKS!!
    Philanthropist | Filmmaker | Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I think the global thing to keep in mind that this is relative to a what your "full frame" capture is per camera. For instance, those shooting full frame on an EPIC they would base the 1.0x multiplier on the APS-H sized sensor. For Scarlet X we would want one based on APS-C, which is useful and why I created the above image. Down the line, when the larger RED sensors get deployed we'll have to do this again. When Red releases their FF35 (VistaVision) sized sensor the Data Sheet will still be valid and preferred by those who have that as a base focal length multiplier.
    I totally agree, which was my point, the original chart's crop factors only held relevance to those shooting video on a 5D, which is not the norm. I think your new chart will clear up a lot of confusion and help many people.
    edit:
    so long as anyone doesn't misread it as equivalent fov's, because ... it reads backwards ?
    because 4k at 50mm is equivalent fov to 2k at 25mm (your chart says 4k 25mm, 2k 50mm)
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com