Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Paul Ellington - New York

Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738
Results 371 to 380 of 380
  1. #371  
    Senior Member Paul Ellington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    Hi Paul, I was wondering if you had any background on "Murder at the Vanities" which had some music done by Duke Ellington (I think he was one of the main actors too). I was reading some random french cinema article that referenced it, the movie seems to be clouded in a bit of mystery. This is for a bit of just random research I'm doing on pre-code Hollywood, and the transition to sound (especially the involvement of the Jazz scene, and how people were excluded as the transition occurred).
    That is a large subject, and I can't sit and BS about it because I take film history very seriously. I am very familiar with pre-code but don't have any personal info on that particular movie. My Grandfather acted in a few films such as "Black & Tan Fantasy" "Cabin In The Sky" & of course my favorite "Anatomy Of A Murder"... I believe he is also one of the first musicians to be nominated for a Grammy and an Oscar for the same recording "Paris Blues".

    I am delighted you are doing such research, and would love to see it when it's done!

    My best to you and yours.

    - E

    Paul Ellington
    director/dp & writer

    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #372  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ellington View Post
    That is a large subject, and I can't sit and BS about it because I take film history very seriously. I am very familiar with pre-code but don't have any personal info on that particular movie. My Grandfather acted in a few films such as "Black & Tan Fantasy" "Cabin In The Sky" & of course my favorite "Anatomy Of A Murder"... I believe he is also one of the first musicians to be nominated for a Grammy and an Oscar for the same recording "Paris Blues".

    I am delighted you are doing such research, and would love to see it when it's done!

    My best to you and yours.

    - E
    Awesome. I have always loved Cabin in the Sky, and Anatomy of a Murder...this list smacks of a certain crit studies program, at a certain LA-based film program. :)
    Many filmmakers had an idea of what they wanted their dream digital motion picture camera to be. But only one of us had the talent, insight, capital and most importantly -- the guts to make it a reality. The EPIC needed a perfect balance of desire, aptitude, resolve, teamwork and finance to arrive; it is a dream manifest.

    Complaining about the EPIC is like kvetching about a space elevator, when everyone else is flying kites at Kitty Hawk.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #373  
    Senior Member Paul Ellington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryc Tramonn View Post
    Awesome. I have always loved Cabin in the Sky, and Anatomy of a Murder...this list smacks of a certain crit studies program, at a certain LA-based film program. :)
    Well - wrong coast, I attended NYU like my Father. Never took any critical studies courses as those are primarily MA/PHD in Cinema Studies. I would have been first in line for those classes though as I love the history or film, and anything related to it (film-stock, speeds, first developments in advanced cinema movement etc... One day when I am older and wiser I may return to study some more -- now it's time to put it work. It begins with the Thesis Film which I am planning right now.

    Best!

    - E

    Paul Ellington
    director/dp & writer

    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #374 Catching up 
    Senior Member Paul Ellington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,650
    Finally a couple of minutes to come up for Air ... It has been a wild ride the last couple of months since NYU ended for me. I still have to complete my thesis film but the good news is the script is ready (save for polish), and it has won a few over-all festivals, and been a finalist & Official Selection in a bunch of other. Most notably Phil Holland and myself were in the same fest (Beverly Hills Film Festival), he took home the overall cine prize -- and I went home losing to a very talented writer in Phil Schroeder.

    In the meantime I shot three spots for Henley's E-Zigs, a music video for an amazing 10 year old singer, Briannagh Dennehy, and operated on a music video for Lightning Dust.

    I will post some photos when I get a chance to post some images, but things have been fun and still can't believe how amazing the Epic looks and now with the professional images that Mark Toia shared with the Red community, I find myself sitting here saying, whoa I can't believe things got even better with the sensor and rig -- and I don't have to buy a brand new camera.

    Thank you Team RED!

    Thanks to Phil, Mark, Jim, my main man Jarred Land, Whitney, Kris, Matt, Sean, and the Amazing Graeme.

    Peace & Love

    - PE

    Paul Ellington
    director/dp & writer

    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #375 MERRY CHRISTMAS • To a beautiful 2014 
    Senior Member Paul Ellington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,650
    Just wanted to take time out to thank RED, Phil, Mr. Collister, Jarred, Jim, Brent, Whitney, Jay, Bob, Gunleik & anyone I may have missed.

    Have an incredible Christmas guys, and a fruitful,... That's a word right :) New Year.

    Best as always.

    - Paul.

    Paul Ellington
    director/dp & writer

    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #376  
    Senior Member Curran Giddens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Havana, Cuba
    Posts
    4,429
    Merry Christmas!

    Solar System Studio / Havana, Cuba
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #377  
    Senior Member Bob Gundu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,214
    Thanks Paul! The invitation to Toronto still stands even though many in Toronto, and the surrounding neighbourhoods have been without power for a few days already since the ice storm. Some may not have power until the weekend! We've been fortunate to have power through the whole ordeal. In any case, have a warm and safe Christmas!

    Bob
    ___________________________

    VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #378  
    Senior Member Paul Ellington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Thanks Paul! The invitation to Toronto still stands even though many in Toronto, and the surrounding neighbourhoods have been without power for a few days already since the ice storm. Some may not have power until the weekend! We've been fortunate to have power through the whole ordeal. In any case, have a warm and safe Christmas!

    Bob

    Careful Bob -- I love Canada I will take you up on that! Happy holidays Sir.

    - E

    Paul Ellington
    director/dp & writer

    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #379  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    226
    Glædelig Jul og godt nytår fra København, Paul!
    Director,
    The Inclusion Center,
    Center for Rummelighed
    www.rummelighed.org
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #380  
    Senior Member Paul Ellington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by soren k jensen View Post
    Glædelig Jul og godt nytår fra København, Paul!

    Mange tak Søren -- håber du har et godt nytår.

    - E

    Paul Ellington
    director/dp & writer

    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts