Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC Leica M Mount

Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran Farouk View Post
    Heh I have a similar set except I went Super-Elmar on my 21 - though its a shame that 21 + 35 can't be used on the M mount - heck if they could...the images would just be...well, words can't express how awesome it would be...

However as of now Imran, I sold and delivered the M9 and al lenses except the Noctilux which I'll be shipping soon, Leica's are so much FUN on EPIC but I need Cine Primes so to fit our workflow properly, but I'll show off some shots once I have a minute to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSi View Post
    However as of now Imran, I sold and delivered the M9 and al lenses except the Noctilux which I'll be shipping soon, Leica's are so much FUN on EPIC but I need Cine Primes so to fit our workflow properly, but I'll show off some shots once I have a minute to get it done.
    That's a real shame but understandable, though if I'm not wrong your upgrading to the Leica Summilux-Cs anyway ;)

The Noctilux is great - creates some beautiful magic but I would prefer to at least rock a 35mm on the M since I'm not using it for any serious cinema use anyway - at least in terms of my personal one, 35mm Summilux and above is what I'd love to use since the only 35mm Leica lens that can be used on the mount is the Summarit which isn't wide enough and I don't really need multiple 35s anyway

Definitely look forward to that video next month and some photos too done with the Leicas :)

I'm sure though you'll find room for an M at some point again, especially the new one - wish RED would do an S-Mount when the Medium format sensor drops...that'll just be a pretty awesome for the fashion crowd I'm sure -

Curious as to how every body is using their mounts and if anyone has any images?

That's a real shame but understandable, though if I'm not wrong your upgrading to the Leica Summilux-Cs anyway ;)

The Noctilux is great - creates some beautiful magic but I would prefer to at least rock a 35mm on the M since I'm not using it for any serious cinema use anyway - at least in terms of my personal one, 35mm Summilux and above is what I'd love to use since the only 35mm Leica lens that can be used on the mount is the Summarit which isn't wide enough and I don't really need multiple 35s anyway

Definitely look forward to that video next month and some photos too done with the Leicas :)

I'm sure though you'll find room for an M at some point again, especially the new one - wish RED would do an S-Mount when the Medium format sensor drops...that'll just be a pretty awesome for the fashion crowd I'm sure -

Curious as to how every body is using their mounts and if anyone has any images?

Yes I have a set of the Leica Summilux-C Primes coming... And 3 of the Summicron C. Primes... ;)

Why is it that certain lenses with a rear protrusion won't fit?

Are the lenses mounted closer to the sensor than on, say, an M9? Wouldn't that cause issues with infinity focus?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    Why is it that certain lenses with a rear protrusion won't fit?

Are the lenses mounted closer to the sensor than on, say, an M9? Wouldn't that cause issues with infinity focus?

On the Epic or Scarlet there is small/tight socketed chamber that surrounds the sensor. The rear protruding elements on some of the wider angle true “biogon type” lenses are round and bigger than the small rectangular chamber. On the M9 there is clear space for these round rear elements (i.e. no rectangular/socketed flange).

Now if I am not mistaken the Spacecam guys I (believe) have a way of taking apart various types of excellent “biogon” layout lenses with protruding elements and grinding some of the rear metal lens casing more “square” so they can insert into that rectangular chamber/flange of the Epic or Scarlet.

Spacecam used to advertise here right? And they also have a precision alternate mount for M’s too right…?

Did something go pear-shaped or is everything cool?

Cheers (in advance)

Eric
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    On the Epic or Scarlet there is small/tight socketed chamber that surrounds the sensor. The rear protruding elements on some of the wider angle true “biogon type” lenses are round and bigger than the small rectangular chamber. On the M9 there is clear space for these round rear elements (i.e. no rectangular/socketed flange).

Now if I am not mistaken the Spacecam guys I (believe) have a way of taking apart various types of excellent “biogon” layout lenses with protruding elements and grinding some of the rear metal lens casing more “square” so they can insert into that rectangular chamber/flange of the Epic or Scarlet.

Spacecam used to advertise here right? And they also have a precision alternate mount for M’s too right…?

Did something go pear-shaped or is everything cool?

Cheers (in advance)

Eric
    It all mounts fine, they even mount on a leica camera and the RED Leica mount - HOWEVER, I've only done this with the 35mm Nokton they sell - even then if I'm not wrong, its literally sitting on the metal chamber, thankfully not entering it but just sitting right on top, on the Leica there isn't any issues, it takes photos fine etc. and hasn't damaged the sensor or whatever, obviously because the element has been shaved from its regular to shorter so it shouldn't cause any issue.

On the other hand though with the RED, like I said, they work - just not advisable as per SpaceCam have said, since it's made for the SpaceCam mount, which I'm not sure whether it sits slightly more front then the RED version.

My EPIC is running fine either way, no damage on sensor and no issue on the metal area around it so its an option, maybe, though I can only speak for the Nokton.

It all mounts fine, they even mount on a leica camera and the RED Leica mount - HOWEVER, I've only done this with the 35mm Nokton they sell - even then if I'm not wrong, its literally sitting on the metal chamber, thankfully not entering it but just sitting right on top, on the Leica there isn't any issues, it takes photos fine etc. and hasn't damaged the sensor or whatever, obviously because the element has been shaved from its regular to shorter so it shouldn't cause any issue.

On the other hand though with the RED, like I said, they work - just not advisable as per SpaceCam have said, since it's made for the SpaceCam mount, which I'm not sure whether it sits slightly more front then the RED version.

My EPIC is running fine either way, no damage on sensor and no issue on the metal area around it so its an option, maybe, though I can only speak for the Nokton.
    Imran Thanks for replying/posting… really useful information.

As sensors get larger revised designs of much older/effcient lens layouts will return as perhaps we really don’t (always) need that retro-focal distance anymore?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Senior Member Mike 'Fireman' Ross's Avatar
    Dusted off this old thread in the hope that someone will confirm...

For those who can't justify a Noctilux, the old Canon rangefinder 50mm f/0.95 is an… interesting lens, and often converted to Leica M mount.

Can anyone confirm, for sure, whether or not it will mount without issue on an EPIC with the RED Leica M mount?

Thanks

Mike
    'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
    Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
    For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'

RED SCARLET-X #513, 'Hekla'
    RED EPIC DRAGON #2229, 'Katla'
    RED ONE MX #10066, 'Askja'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 'Fireman' Ross View Post
    Dusted off this old thread in the hope that someone will confirm...

For those who can't justify a Noctilux, the old Canon rangefinder 50mm f/0.95 is an… interesting lens, and often converted to Leica M mount.

Can anyone confirm, for sure, whether or not it will mount without issue on an EPIC with the RED Leica M mount?

Thanks

Mike
    https://vimeo.com/68984734

Seems like the mount needs some modification
    the Nokton 1.1 might be a better option
    Last edited by Roger Valdes; 09-01-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Senior Member Mike 'Fireman' Ross's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Valdes View Post
    https://vimeo.com/68984734

Seems like the mount needs some modification
    the Nokton 1.1 might be a better option
    Thanks very much for that, I do believe I've actually seen that before now you mention it!

Sent a message to Matt Duclos, we'll see… I love the funky images the old Canon produces, so...

Mike
    'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
    Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
    For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'

RED SCARLET-X #513, 'Hekla'
    RED EPIC DRAGON #2229, 'Katla'
    RED ONE MX #10066, 'Askja'