Thread: Scarlet X and your choice of Lense(s)

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I will use a set of Minolta MD Rokkors that I own with a Fotodiox adapter at first with the Canon mount and vintage 16mm lenses on the PL mount for 2k video. May be awhile before I can afford new glass after getting a basic Scarlet package.

It will be mostly a hobby camera for me. The kind of industrial video or event docs I shoot for pay will work just fine at 2k.

Is anyone considering using 16mm Pl glass for run and gun work? Many broadcasters would happily except 2K, you could shoot at extra frame rates and 16mm glass is becoming cheaper currently because of the retirement of many super 16mm cameras. The zeiss 16mm zooms especially the 10-100mm rocks for handheld work.
    Does anyone know how much of the sensor a 16mm cine lens would cover before vignetting?
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
    SHERLOCK HOLMES

johannperry.com

Just bought a very nice set of Nikkor primes (24, 28, 35, 50, 55 macro, 85, and a 105mm) for $1000 from KEH. Going to look wonderful on my little Scarlet.

:D
    Sillytime Creative

Silly team, serious cinema.

I will just be using my Canon EF 24-105 F4L IS lens. It goes from pretty wide to modest telephoto, and has fantastic IS. Not very fast, but for now it will do the job just fine.

I will just be using my Canon EF 24-105 F4L IS lens. It goes from pretty wide to modest telephoto, and has fantastic IS. Not very fast, but for now it will do the job just fine.
    This is my point exactly. At 24mm you'll be getting more of a 38mm which wouldn't be wide at all. The crop factor shooting at 4k kinda stinks for selecting lenses.

A set of Nikon G:s + zooms to complement the set (thinking about throwing a RED lens in there... not sure yet though!).

Had some ideas for Illuminas but the price has sort of scared me away... for now :-)
    Erik Franzén, Director/Writer, Darkly Dreaming Team
    "It's easy to count pixels so people do it. What is important is what you do with those pixels."
    ~ Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Fillion View Post
    This is my point exactly. At 24mm you'll be getting more of a 38mm which wouldn't be wide at all. The crop factor shooting at 4k kinda stinks for selecting lenses.
    The 4K portion of the sensor is pretty close to the standard S35.
    Director Of Photography
    RED Epic DRAGON - Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 T2.9 - Oconnor 2060 + accessories
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Fillion View Post
    Yeah it's a shame. I had set my mind on a 24-70mm Canon zoom, but in addition I will need something wide - I really like shooting wide and get a lot of details, and a lot of deep DOF.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...t-X-Data-Sheet
    Phil Holland's Scarlet-X Data Sheet is a brilliant resource. Downloadable. Free. Save it. Print it out.
    Crop factors of various lenses (by mm) at various capture settings (4K, 3K, 2K,) in easy to follow visual graphs.
    Pages of great lens info on the thread too.
    All those years of Special-Ed are finally paying off.

Ordered the PL mount.

Will use the RPZ 17-50mm, the Red 50-150mm and the Duclos 11-16mm I have.
    Matt Gottshalk
    http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com
    https://vimeo.com/86056260
    EPIC-X "Deckard"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm