Thread: Scarlet X and your choice of Lense(s)

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I have the Canon 17-55mm EFS 2.9 that I really like. I'm hoping that it works good covering 4K. I also have some non Ai Nikons that I will be experimenting with. I really like my Nikon 50mm 1.4. I ordered the Canon mount but I don't think I'll be buying any more lenses before I get my Scarlet. I may decide later to go with the PL mount and goes with the Red 17-55mm and the 85mm prime.

FYI I got some nice recommendations here:
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...147#post856147

I'm going to use some Canon L series primes until I make my way over towards PL mount lenses but since I already have the Canon lenses I'll use those while I'm renting PL lenses and doing tests and research.

Cooke iPanchros, Duclos 11-16 PL, (sadly i sold my cooke zoom)
    Director Of Photography
    RED Epic DRAGON - Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 T2.9 - Oconnor 2060 + accessories
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

These lenses seem to be what I should aim for as a start...

Tokina 11-16
    So many good options Canon 24-70 f2.8L seems
    Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II

Cine Mod for the canons would be interesting at some point, anybody know of a company like duclos, operating in europe (uk)?

I'm also going to be rocking my Zeiss ZF Prime Kit.

I think everyone's going to need that Tokina 11-16 f2.8 for HDR and off speed. (6.4x crop factor for 120fps!)
    www.pennyblackmovie.com

Cinematographer / Director / Dad (NZ)
    http://www.joehitchcock.com

I'll be shooting mostly 3K and using Nikon SLR glass at first.
    14-24 2.8. ED/AF
    24-70 2.8 ED. Maybe a 50 and 85 for longer primes.

My guess, within the first year, SOMEONE will have a set of useable primes in 10/20/30mm for use at 2k-3k-4K on this camera.
    They don't have to cover 5k. We have plenty of glass for that now. They NEED smooth stops and focus gears, basically a cinema conversion. Cannon/Nikon/PL mount options, and a reasonable price, like a set of 3 for under five grand would be a good target.
    All those years of Special-Ed are finally paying off.

I live around the corner from Panavision, whatever lenses the shoot requires and the budget allows for.

Senior Member Dominick Pietrzak's Avatar
    I went for the Ti Package, although thinking about it now I'm not quite sure why. Haha. I've got 3 ZF lenses, 18, 35, and 50. I'm planning on using those on the Canon mount with my adapter for now.

I was also thinking about getting the RED 17-50mm PL lens along with the proper mount. There's also the RED 18-85 BT lens which has an awesome price.

Maybe I'll get a nice Canon zoom lens for photography as well. So many options!

At first I thought the crop factor wouldn't bother me too much and I'd just choose a 11mm to get an 18mm look. Somewhere around a 22mm would give me a 35mm look but really I wasn't thinking about the difference in depth of field between an 11mm and an 18mm. Sure you'll get a similar viewing window but you won't get the same shallow focus to play with when you're having to go for wider lenses to replicate the viewing window you're striving for.

I would've preferred a Scarlet shooting at 3k with no crop factor (your lenses would be what they truly are) - I don't care so much about the resolution race, I more so want to get the proper look out of the lens I have on the camera. An 18mm T1.8 is just gonna be a 28.8mm or whatever with the crop factor. I think for this reason I'm going to have to bite the bullet and grab an EPIC.

EDIT: I also think 120fps at 1k is pretty useless and kind of a joke, extreme crop factor and not even HD?