Thread: Scarlet X and your choice of Lense(s)

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Senior Member Michael Millichamp's Avatar
    I have the Red 18-85 and I love it. It is a big guy, but it gives a nice balance to such a small camera.

Ill be getting the 11-16 zoom along with some nikon primes later on, but right now the 18-85 is just right for what I need.
    Scarlet-X #81 "Johansson"

New short film: Necrophilia: A Love Story

Donate to our Kickstarter!

Quote Originally Posted by Lliam Worthington View Post
    Zeiss Contax glass

This is a fantastic thread from the past fortnight odd, which I would have KILLED to have been able to read a couple of months ago.
    The thread is all well worth reading, I've linked it to Nick Morrisons fantastic post of Contax glass.

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....E-Primes/page4

Lliam
    Hey Liam, can't believe you read and QUOTED my post! I've been slowly posting about my CZ glass on reduser for the past month, and didn't think anyone had noticed. I definitely DO think they are another great option, in league with Nikkors, Leica's, etc. It's vintage glass, so it has a unique look that I enjoy. They are the cousins of the current Zeiss ZF/ZE glass, and are optically probably 95% identical. But the T* coatings are allegedly a little different - less contrasy and cold. Which I think is actually kind of good. AND...the amazing thing about them is they made over 40 different lenses. There are possibly no more than 10 ZF's to choose from, but the Contax line is chock full of fabulous gems. They are quite easy to find on ebay...but they are hard to COMPLETE the set. This is old vintage glass, and once you start getting to those 4 or 5 final gems you need, they are few and far between. So...to invest in these certainly requires a huge amount of patience. But as I'm almost done with my collection, it will only be a month or two left before I have my COMPLETE set. Once I cinemod them and our Scarlets arrive, I will post pics and footage.

Thanks for noticing!
    Nick Morrison
    Director (WGA-East)
    www.smallgiant.tv

Hi guys and girls. Had my Scarlet X kit on order since Dec 6th in the UK and am just looking at what I have from my Panasonic AF101 kit that will still be useable.

In addition to the Micro 4/3 lenses I need to offload, I currently have the Nikon AI 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and a Nikkor Q 135mm f2.8 sitting around here.

Do you think it's worth keeping hold of them for use with the Scarlet or should I get rid of those too and head towards ZF.2s or similar?

Not a lens question but does anyone know whether the Shoot35 Cine Baseplate will be compatible with the Scarlet or if I should get rid of that too? Thanks in advance :)

Senior Member Mike 'Fireman' Ross's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Strietmann View Post
    Mike,
    Ive used the angenieux 5.9 on my red and epic at 2k and it looks pretty good. You don't even need an AC as there is no focus on the lens.
    2K is also the only place the Sigma 8-16 will work. I did an extremely quick and dirty test when I was in Adorama on other business the other day. This showed that 1. AF is... definitely flaky; hardly surprising as the lens isn't officially supported yet, and 2. well... see for yourself:

5K @ 8mm:

5K @ 16mm:

3K @ 8mm:

All in all it's about as much use as a chocolate condom... hell I never liked Sigma glass anyway.

I like the FOV of the Nikon 14-24mm @14mm on a FF35 sensor, and I LOVE the quality... Still need to find the ideal piece of glass that will match the Nikon for quality and give me the same FOVs at both 5K (for stills) and 3K (for HDRx motion) on EPIC/Scarlet...
    'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
    Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
    For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'

RED SCARLET-X #513, 'Hekla'
    RED EPIC DRAGON #2229, 'Katla'
    RED ONE MX #10066, 'Askja'

Senior Member Lliam Worthington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Hey Liam, can't believe you read and QUOTED my post! I've been slowly posting about my CZ glass on reduser for the past month, and didn't think anyone had noticed. I definitely DO think they are another great option, in league with Nikkors, Leica's, etc. It's vintage glass, so it has a unique look that I enjoy. They are the cousins of the current Zeiss ZF/ZE glass, and are optically probably 95% identical. But the T* coatings are allegedly a little different - less contrasy and cold. Which I think is actually kind of good. AND...the amazing thing about them is they made over 40 different lenses. There are possibly no more than 10 ZF's to choose from, but the Contax line is chock full of fabulous gems. They are quite easy to find on ebay...but they are hard to COMPLETE the set. This is old vintage glass, and once you start getting to those 4 or 5 final gems you need, they are few and far between. So...to invest in these certainly requires a huge amount of patience. But as I'm almost done with my collection, it will only be a month or two left before I have my COMPLETE set. Once I cinemod them and our Scarlets arrive, I will post pics and footage.

Thanks for noticing!
    Hey Nick. Cool :))) Yeah definitely paying attention and appreciating :) Your post is terrific and enjoyed all your footage lens samples. MADE ME DAMN HUNGRY THOUGH!

I have to say I "personally" prefer the look coming off the vintage Zeiss glass, though I appreciate the coatings on the ZE are said to be better and they are likely sharper in general overall. But that said, I've certainly read reports stating otherwise for some specific lenses, and personally I certainly wouldn't be interested in getting the non macro 50 ZE vs a 50 contax 1.4 or 1.7.

But anyway, as you know and appreciate there are so many ways that lenses seem to create/draw their look, that I hunted for the individual characteristics of specific lenses that resolved the way that appealed to me and my work. Such as the mint 100 F2 on it's way to me :) Some lenses just really pop or render colour for certain settings in a way that really resonated with me. Whereas the ZE on Shane Hurlburts latest tests were a little disappointing and were probably the least favourite of the lenses for me, which surprised. It almost seemed to me (purely wild conjecture here) that perhaps the added sharpness across the lens meant some of the famed micro contrast pop look of the contax was almost evened out and rendered less pop so to speak. But so many variables, who knows. SO I just went with what my eyes were seeing.

Funny though, I keep hearing the exact same optics are in the CP's but they also ooked better in each comparison than the ZE I thought? Especially the motion rack focus of the guitarist at the end. Looked like a genuine Cine lens then to me, even though they are getting a bit slammed around the traps - I'm sure with good raeson from those two. 85 1.4 Leica looked stunning I thought.

Anyhow, look forward to seeing pictures of your set! Your will definitely be bigger than mine :)) But I'll post mine too once they are all modded/duclos cine blinged up :)
    Maybe we can start a RU Contax set with Scarlet thread! :)

Best Wishes

Lliam
    Last edited by Lliam Worthington; 01-03-2012 at 09:47 AM.