Thread: End of Mac Pro???

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Assuming thunderbolt is fast enough? for running graphics cards etc with an external enclosure then a new iMac with 2 TB ports is theoretically as or more expandable then current mac pro's....

Imagine a setup where you bring your MacbookPro home from the field, plug it in to thunderbolt and it connects right up to your Raid, monitor system, RR, graphics card etc. etc.

Why limit yourself to a box with 4 PCI slots ;P

Dunno how realistic, but something to think about....
    TEHBEN DEAN - stills & motion
    EPIC-X #557
    www.thedeanbrothers.com
    I love to shoot beautiful things with cameras...

I said goodbye to FCP and bought premiere 5.5. So is the next step goodbye mac, and hello windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Taylor View Post
    I said goodbye to FCP and bought premiere 5.5. So is the next step goodbye mac, and hello windows?
    I'd rather eat worms
    -ZEB

Quote Originally Posted by Tehben Dean View Post
    Assuming thunderbolt is fast enough? for running graphics cards etc with an external enclosure then a new iMac with 2 TB ports is theoretically as or more expandable then current mac pro's....

Imagine a setup where you bring your MacbookPro home from the field, plug it in to thunderbolt and it connects right up to your Raid, monitor system, RR, graphics card etc. etc.

Why limit yourself to a box with 4 PCI slots ;P

Dunno how realistic, but something to think about....
    This could be a practical solution for small production shops with FCPX. Not so much for big iron facilities though.

Tehben,

I share that view that we have to rethink the way we see computers. There will be development in the Thunderbolt technology making the speeds and thus posibilites even grater. Regardless I think its a mess having 6 Thunderbolt devices daisy chained to a MBP or similar. The RAID, the graphic cards, dual monitors and what else you use thunderbolt connections to. Im quite happy with the thought of a "supercomputer" where there are grater choice of hardware. If we stick with the iMac approach, I assume that Apple still will dictate what GPUs etc that will work or not work.

I am an apple fan beyond, but Im finding it hard believing in Apples commitment towards what tools we need to produce the art we live for.

BTW, does anyone want to buy an Xserve? ARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Beadle View Post
    I'd rather eat worms
    Im with you on that. Theres no doubt the hardware is good but for any serious facility Windows doesn't cut it. It will be interested to see what Apple decides to do ultimately. One thing that should be considered is that the Pro user group tends to lead opinion rightly or wrongly. If Apple loose that support Im not sure where that might lead.

As Matthew Yohe noted on macrumors article, the source of this rumor is the same one that made this graphic:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Weiss View Post
    As Matthew Yohe noted on macrumors article, the source of this rumor is the same one that made this graphic:
    Hope your right Martin.

As we are about to be reminded on November 3rd, nothing is true until it actually happens.

What if the MacPro where to turn into a modular computer along the lines of EPIC. Processor modules, graphics modes, I/O modules, etc. you just stack as many of them up as you want... Infinitely expandable. Now that would be amazing!
    TEHBEN DEAN - stills & motion
    EPIC-X #557
    www.thedeanbrothers.com
    I love to shoot beautiful things with cameras...