Thread: CUBIX Desktop 4 or Cyclone 2707 Expander for Davinci Resolve 5K r3d

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 CUBIX Desktop 4 or Cyclone 2707 Expander for Davinci Resolve 5K r3d 
    Guys,

I am building a grading station and wanted to know which expander is the best in terms of reliability and performance when it comes to handle 5K r3ds. The following setup is what I think after reading up on many forums:

Mac Pro 2.26 8-Core 24Gb 240GB Boot SSD x 1, 1.5TB x 2:
    Slot 1 (x16): Quadro 4000 (Resolve GUI, CUDA & GUI for AE/PP etc)
    Slot 2 (x16): Expander (Cubix or Cyclone, cant decide)
    Slot 3 (x4): Capture Card (Any suggestion why we need this?)
    Slot 4 (x4): Qlogic 8Gbps Dual Fibre Channel HBA connected to Promise VTrak x30 8Gbps 32TB Subsystem

Expander:
    Slot 1 (x16): Red Rocket
    Slot 2 (x16): Quadro 4000
    Slot 3 (x16 with Cyclone's expander) Quadro 4000
    Remaining slots I have not decided yet!
    Is there a possibility of using a RAID card for the Mac Pro 1.5TB Drives from the expander?

I want to know if this setup will allow me 5K realtime playback with how many nodes and is this an overkill.

I really like my Cyclone 2707. I use it on location and have really abused it and the thing still runs awesome.

I have not used the Cubix, but i liked the specs of the Cyclone better. Plus the staff at Cyclone is awesome.

Dusty

Hey Dusty,

Did the Cyclone guys ever work out the issue with the 6Gbps SAS cards? I had not followed up as I ended up with the Cubix. ...Cubix runs great, BTW, had to swap out the annoyingly stupidly loud fan. I swear that all "desktop" enclosure engineers are deaf. Especially the ones working for Cubix and HP....

I have the 4-slot Cubix, 4 single-width slots. I have a RED Rocket, Quadro 4000 and CalDigit 6GU3 (USB3 and eSATA 6gbps) in the expander.

In the Mac Pro tower I have this:

slot1: Quadro 4000
    slot2: Cubix x16 interface
    slot3: BlackMagic Decklink HD Extreme 3D+
    Slot4: ATTO H680 SAS/SATA HBA

Never tried it, but you probably can't use the Mac Pro RAID card from the expander. In fact, I believe that card must be installed in slot-4, if you are indeed talking about the one from Apple, which ties onto the internal SAS/SATA backplane. FWIW, this card should not be used if you can help it... It's better than the previous revision, assuming you have the version compatible with the '09/'10 Mac Pro systems. However, it's still pretty limited and often problematic. If you need a bootable RAID on the Mac, take a look at the ARECA RAID cards. You can run one from the expander, but I recommend keeping your RAID hosts inside the tower -- or at least you really should if you want to boot from them.
    Last edited by Jeff Kilgroe; 10-28-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

Jeff,

Yes they fixed the Atto 6G problem. It was a hardware change and I had to send my cyclone in to have it updated. No charge. I havent tried any 6G cards in my system yet though.

The default fans on the Cyclone are STUPID LOUD too. I change most of my fans to Silenx brand fans.

Dusty

We are rockin the cubix for our resolve suite. running great so far.
    RED Tech and D.I.T,
    EPIC M, EPIC-X and Scarlet Pusher,
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates

I also have the Cubix and love it as well. I have a rocket and GTX480, decklink and fw800 card in it running like a champ.

Tim
    Local 600 DIT
    My Personal Portfolio:
    www.sutherlandprojects.com

How do you guys deal with the form factor of the Cubix? I dont like that it is not Rackmountable.

Dusty

Yeah, its a weird shape and loud as hell. But Runs Like a BO$$. Like the idea of changin out the fans, what did you swap them for Jeff?
    RED Tech and D.I.T,
    EPIC M, EPIC-X and Scarlet Pusher,
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Sorry to hijack with no info but a question. I was examinng a similar need but with some extra complication

I need to be able to deal with 2 streams of stereo from Epic cameras (1080p delivery). I also need to include the following cards.

Myricon 10gig
    Atto H680 (for a HP LTO 5 and dragging in media from esata drives)
    another card that allows some very fast local storage

What is the minimum I can do 1080p stereo from Epic work (I need to trial this before I go crazy)

I'm assuming

Macpro

slot 1: Gx for Gui
    slot 2: Conector to Cyclone (i prefer so I can rack mount)
    slot 3: Myricon 10gig
    slot 4: BM i/o for monitoring (I assume this is the only what to get a HDSDI Grade 1 monitor attached

Cyclone
    slot 1: Nvidia 4000
    slot 2: RRocket
    slot 3: Nvidia 4000
    slot 4: RRocket
    slot 5: Atto H680

Ok so here is my problem I have run out of slots and I still haven't put in the very fast local storage connection. My SAN can do up to 700mb but I would like to have local storage for layoffs and 2x2k work.

Any ideas short of putting in another cyclone. Can I pull one of the Rockets or a nvida and still get ok'ish performance in s3d? we could perhaps then strugle through till either the new macpros apear (and then we can externalise a number of the devices with thunderbolt) or we can run Davinci on windows.

thanks for anyone willing to share real world experience

Michael L

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    Ok so here is my problem I have run out of slots and I still haven't put in the very fast local storage connection. My SAN can do up to 700mb but I would like to have local storage for layoffs and 2x2k work.
    You're asking a lot in some ways... But there's a couple options. If you don't mind a bit of a hacked solution, you could replace the two Quadro cards in the expander with a single GTX480 and gain a slot that way. Or you could go with the 2710 model Cyclone, which gives you more slots.

The fast local storage really needs to have its interface located in the tower. If you don't mind software RAID or don't mind connecting self-contained RAID systems via a SAS port or two, you could replace the H680 with an H6F0 and get double the number of external connections. I guess the question here is, what do you want for local storage?

The bad thing about loading up the expander in situations like this, is bandwidth. You can only push so much through that single X16 slot.

If it were me, I would probably get a good switch, if you don't have one, for the 10g card and connect a NAS device that way. Or look at an alternate card to replace the Myricon. There are some hybrid cards out there that have 10g copper/fiber along with infiniband and/or fiber-channel.

Or, if the Myricon card is fine and is a single 10g interface, move it into the expander and place the ATTO card back in the tower, consider upgrading it.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.