Thread: Industry standard rosette measurements?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    An ideal piece would be a rosette disc that is an Arri rosette on one side and a RED rosette on the other. Basically a spacer that would go between Arri and RED style rosette gear. I would buy these for $25-$35 a piece.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Epic X - #5515 | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | INCREDIBLE (Scarlet Music Video)

It might be difficult to bring those in at $35 unless we sold a ton of them.
    Jason Comparetto
    Cinema [Oxide]
    www.CinemaOxide.com

Epic-X #707, Zeiss Primes, 3' and 5' sliders, and a boatload of other gear

Yeah...there's very specialized machining in those...not like you can just mill it and drill it.

Larry
    Larry Gebhardt
    Director / DP
    www.larrygebhardt.com

Yeah...I just got Arri ones from Allstar and redrilled the holes to fit on RED stuff. Then I just swapped out the Rosette plates. Even that was a pain in the ass.

Jarek Zabczynski

Epic X - #5515 | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | INCREDIBLE (Scarlet Music Video)

We've been discussing making these we can bring them in between $100-$200. Is that pricing consistent with what people are expecting to pay?
    Jason Comparetto
    Cinema [Oxide]
    www.CinemaOxide.com

Epic-X #707, Zeiss Primes, 3' and 5' sliders, and a boatload of other gear

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Comparetto View Post
    We've been discussing making these we can bring them in between $100-$200. Is that pricing consistent with what people are expecting to pay?
    Considering most people would be getting at least a pair, it's probably a bit high. A one sided Arri Rosette from Allstar is $15. A RED Rosette/wingnut combo from RED is $75. I think $100 for a set of two is as much as I'd be will to pay for something like this. Otherwise I'm fine just drilling out Allstar Rosettes.

Jarek Zabczynski

I think a 100 bucks is reasonable. I'd buy a couple for sure. They are hard to make. I have a great machinist who is not too expensive who mods stuff for me all the time, but honestly, I'd rather just buy something and be done with it.
    Epic-M Dragon #806, Epic-X #1396

I wonder if any of these match the Arri rosette....http://www.jwwinco.com/products/sect...7.4/index.html

I just found out that the red rosettes use 1/4 20 which means they aren't compatible with the mantis. I feel that red has brought some great accessories to the table, especially the swat/nato rails, and the universal quick release system, but I'm staying away from the rosettes that red makes. I get why they did it because everything else is 1/4 20, but I think the metric rosettes are an industry standard they should have maintained. Additionally some of the handles are female only, so they can't just bolt on anywhere, you need many parts, and when you reconfigure those parts, you get end caps and just too many loose parts in your hands. I like the simple arri standard - bolt onto anything approach. I'm also very sad that they didn't put 3/8 holes on almost any of their accessories. Thats a standard you really should not ignore. But if you want to use the universal quick release, you are stuck with 1/4 20, which is inferior for so many applications. I do love their build quality though.
    WORKHORSE CAMERA
    Camera Packages that Work
    www.workhorsecamera.com
    EPIC SCARLET ONE/MX

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    An ideal piece would be a rosette disc that is an Arri rosette on one side and a RED rosette on the other. Basically a spacer that would go between Arri and RED style rosette gear. I would buy these for $25-$35 a piece.
    A manufacturer familiar to REDusers will be coming out with this very item at NAB. ARRI on one side, RED on the other (with a red dot to indicate). Pricing will announce at the time.

BTW, these are ridiculously hard to machine. The CNC mill needs something to hold on to and this thing looks like a steel poker chip when it's done.
    Mitch Gross
    Director of Communications
    Convergent-Design