Thread: Duclos lenses

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Duclos lenses 
    This is a shout out to a great company. I've dealt with lots of companies some big and some small. From buying lenses to lights to the myriad of accessories that sit on and around my scarlet. I do a lot of research before making purchases and I've had very, very few bad experiences with anyone and I think it show that most of the people in our industry that sell their products and services are truly passionate about what they do. The good eggs very much outweigh the bad ones.

I had dealt with Duclos lenses once before and they modded my 19mm Leica lens beautifuly. This was during their recent relocation to their new facility and I'm sure it must have been a chaotic affair trying to move into a new building and maintain a steady workflow. However I never knew about any of their trials and tribulations as my lens was dealt with quickly and Matthew kept me in the loop as to when I'd get it back and it was shipped back to me before I knew it.

This time however was not such a painless affair. I sent down another Leica and this one was a perspective control 28mm - a bit of an odd lens and I wasn't sure if it could be easily modded. Matthew was once again fantastic and informed me of what was involved and some (very minor) issues in the modding of this particular lens. Once it was done Michelle was great and got it sent out asap as I was in a bit of a rush to get this lens back. She gave me my fedex tracking number and out it went. I waited patiently as I'm up in the great white north and there's usually a few stop points involved in getting items back up here. It left California and got to memphis where it sat and sat and sat. I emailed fed-ex to find out what the delay was, but never heard back as according to the online tracker it was trapped in Memphis.

Then one day Michelle Duclos called me. I found out that the lens disappeared en route. No fault of Duclos, but it seemed that more than likely somebody had swiped it off the truck. Michelle was super cool to deal with. She wouldn't let me deal with fed-ex. She talked to them - gave them a piece of her mind. She called her own insurance company and she kept me in the loop at all times. She told me that something like this had never happened to them, but she made me feel that 100% I was going to be taken care of. The good news is a week or so later my lens turned up at fed-ex. Apparently it was not stolen - just misplaced. Rather then let them ship it back to me she insisted that they send back to her so that they could open it back up and make sure everything was 100% good to go. They did and today it arrived back home.

Duclos lenses make excellent product and their costs are more than fair. Matthew's blog is well written, updated frequently and is full of some really useful tidbits. Their customer service - thanks Michelle! - particularly in this case, is top notch. I know we always hear when somebody is unhappy with a product or service, but we don't hear often enough when people just do good work and go above and beyond expectations. Please use their service and support what they do. This is a thank you from one happy customer.

Couldn't agree more, and I'm sure I'm not alone! I have a feeling this is going to be a long thread :) Duclos rules.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

+1

Duclos... Driven by Passion!

+1

So happy with my Duclos set. Can't wait for the Nikon AL mount to ship from RED.
    Scarlet-X #2254 "Aristarchus"
    Duclos Zeiss ZF.2s

+1

Formerly known as big lebowski
    EPIC-X #1721 (Stage 3 converted RED ONE #369)

+1 An excellent company

Would be awesome if someday they got into manufacture of lenses and not just the conversions.

++1

The best.

+1 My 11-16 is a favorite. Use it more often than my 16mm MP. Duclos just finished converting my beautiful old Angie 25-250 to PL. They did a fine job very quickly and it is going to be a great addition for my Epics. Kudos to Duclos...
    Michael Mayda, Forensic Imaging; Epic X #00653; Epic M #00922; Red MX #1976