Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Sound Devices PIX 240 ProRes/DNxHD Video Recorder with EPIC

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Any mounting options for this that can look and feel as rugged as the Red Epic 5"LCD?
    Sérgio Perez

EPIC-X 2029 "Lilau" in Macau!

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

Too bad B&H, shows shipping as 6 to 10 WEEKS... Ouch!!
    KETCH ROSSiF i l m m a k e r
    RED EPIC #00008 aka DragonM8

"Sponsors" listed for full disclosure
    Maxx Digital | Schneider Kreuznach/Optics | BB&S | Miller | Blueshape | Trost | Innovativ | Bright Tangerine | Kessler | Lowepro | Ewa-Marine | Village Blackout

it looks pretty cool... I wish they could have implemented some kind of modular form factor for the Epic so that it actually integrated better in the ergonomics of the whole camera...

i just finished shooting for 12 hours with the PIX240 today in AVID codec and the machine worked flawlessly. I recorded over 3 hours of vision/audio without a hitch.

Only 2 problems.

1 (WHICH IS THE BIGGEST) the files it records is .MOV and not MXF so you need to re encode the footage unless you link to it via AMA.

2nd (WHICH IS A PAIN THE THE ASS) The vision is great, but when you feed audio via analogue into the PIX240 the audio is out of sync by about 1-2 frames from the frame delay out of the SDI of the EPIC. Easy fix in post but a little painful.

Out of 10... I give this box an 8. Very reliable and stable. I will definately use it again.
    Last edited by Adam Eden; 10-19-2011 at 04:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    Adam Eden
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    Dragon M 8xx, Epic X 25xx, Arri Alexa XT 4:3 Plus, Rocket X, Helix (Seal Team)
    Steadicam and heaps of cool sh*t

Why are people so excited about this thing? I thought the whole point of RED was higher resolution. And doesn't RED already create 1080p proxies as part of the recording process?

I'd think the Scarlet crowd would be better off buying $3k worth of SSDs than paying almost $3k for this!

D
    How much do you REALLY know about RED? Take the RED Trivia Challenge!, now just $1.99! (iTunes store link, for iPhone and iPod Touch).

Quote Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post
    Why are people so excited about this thing? I thought the whole point of RED was higher resolution. And doesn't RED already create 1080p proxies as part of the recording process?
    Allows you to drop timecode accurate, filename accurate, pretranscoded lightweight files into an NLE for instant editing. When you have your cut, you only need to transcode and color correct the parts of the RAW files you're actually using, instead of taking enormous amounts of time rendering entire clips.

Allows for high quality audio to be acquired on Epic, which is then pre-sunc to the offline clips saving tons of post time lining up audio clips.

Allows instant playback capability, something Epic currently does not have. And even when it does have it, this will allow you to playback a clip on the PIX's monitor instead of tying up the main system that is most likely trying to set up the next shot.

Gives you built-in timecode generation and lock that you can use to jam multiple cameras.

Gives you built-in up/down/cross conversion, extremely handy in a multitude of situations including (but not limited to) outputting a signal for steadicam equipment whose monitoring path may not be 1080p, broadcast equipment, wireless streaming equipment, etc.

There's probably more, but that's a good start.

I'd think the Scarlet crowd would be better off buying $3k worth of SSDs than paying almost $3k for this!

D
    Perhaps, but the title of this thread is PIX 240 with EPIC.

Cheers,

Häakon

what happens when you shoot in slowmotion?
    does it know it and does/can playback the files at higher framerates like the PSU-3?
    red is not a color, it's a camera.

+1,
    i am not getting RED to shoot 1080

Quote Originally Posted by Paramon Ivanovich View Post
    +1,
    i am not getting RED to shoot 1080
    You are not shooting 1080 when you use this - see Haakon's post

I've been using the aja ki pro mini, it is very limited to what type of shoots you can use it on without being able to record different frame rates, my last three jobs have all used different frame rates, all 12fps yesterday, 50fps the day before. Even if playaback is enabled on camera it is too much of a hassle playing back every slomo shot to a device just to get a prores file.
    With the Epic and Red camera there is only a live output when recording so it will be near impossible to give you true slow motion files from any external device.

For drama then it works great, prores or mxf on the fly straight to edit.