Thread: Answering your hardware questions!

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I'm also assuming that you will be only using the USB to provide power and will be attempting to use eSATA for the actual data connections
    Yes.Ideal could be a laptop with one e-sata port,an Express card slot,a two e-sata port Express card,3 usb powering ports and a Vmount plate adaptation to power the system or one e-sata(for usb powered redstation) and 2 usb3 ports with 2.5 bus powered hdd?
    http://planb-red.com
    Red Epic Dragon camera rental
    Location caméra Red Epic Dragon
    Marseille

Banned
    Hey thanks for this thread and all the help! I was wondering if you had any input on the AMD Bulldozer chips? I'm putting together a little CS5.5 PC and am torn between going i7 or the FX-8150.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Macleod View Post
    Recently I decided to join Red User because I saw this section and though I might be able to help out...... I don't know to much about software (I know about application demands) or cameras but I do know quite a bit when it comes to computer hardware, be it a solid state hard drive or a full out custom built work station, I would be more then happy try to help you out with your computer questions!
    Hi Daniel,
    Thanks for your offer to help on computer hardware. When I get my hands on Scarlet I will also need to ensure I have my PC upgraded to decent capacity so that I will be able to take faster backups, do bit of basic editing and have a good screen/monitor to see the quality of film. Can you put forward a decent list of items for me to build one. Some of the systems I see by fellow members are mind bogling in specs and cost. I don't plan to build one that is studio capable unless it's a necessary. What would be the bare minimum cost of such a system ?

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh

Can anyone recommend a two lane Expresscard eSATA adapter that plays nicely with the Red Station? I've read of issues with the Sonnet cards, which seem to be related to Lion.
    Caleb Heymann
    Cinematographer
    Local 600
    Epic X #247, K-35 and Zeiss lenses, and more
    www.calebheymann.com

Hi, Daniel! I've been thinking about buying a Dell Alienware laptop for Scarlet's post production(CS5.5 editing&grading). Does a configuration like this work?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 2760QM 2.4GHz (3.5GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
    MEMORY 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4DIMMS)
    VIDEO CARD Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M – NVIDIA® SLI® Enabled
    HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s

should I get an external raid0? raid1? raid5?