Thread: Epic X import to Australia - GST Charges?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Epic X import to Australia - GST Charges? 
    Hello fellow Aussie RED users

Anybody out there who has received their Stage 2 Epic X (not Epic M) - I am wondering how much the GST was and specifically whether the invoice total from RED matches what we actually pay or is it based on retail value of the goods. This would have a fairly dramatic effect on the GST amount to be paid.

Also, what are the approx shipping costs to Australia from RED? Have asked my BSQ rep but no answer yet.

If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated as my Epic X should ship sometime next week.

Thanks

Cam

PM me the info if you prefer.
    Cam Crowley

Got mine this week...around US$350 shipping and around AUD$1850 get and duty
    Brigham Edgar
    Cinematographer
    www.brighamedgar.com
    Brisbane, Australia

Thanks heaps Brigham

That's less than I thought on both counts so happy days!!

Cheers

Cam
    Cam Crowley

good question cam. Thanks for posting, and thanks for the reply brigham.

That's great! Be interesting to see if the Stage 3 guys are charged GST/Duty on the cash amount or the full value amount given they are trading in. In other words is it $28k with a $17.5 credit (GST on $28k) or is it $11.5k plus camera (GST on $11.5k)? Also wonder if the trade in is technically treated as an exported sale.

Will all depend on how it's invoiced I guess. Be interesting to find out.

Epic-X hit our house on Monday - great excitment! Invoiced Value was value of the available components of the Epic-X package when shipped (i.e. no PRO Battery Module, Module Adaptor or REDMOTE) including the $5,000 deposit and $1,250 MX conversion credit. There was also $US7,490 of non package items included in the shipment. Shipping and handling to Perth was $US289.74. GST is always 10% of invoice value plus S & H at the prevailing exchange rate when the clearance is done so will be slightly different depending on individual orders and clearance dates - in this case GST was $AU2,455.77 . Also charged $AU15.00 for Duty & Tax and $AU50.54 for Duty and/or tax Advancement Fee plus the usual $AU55.20 for AQIS/clearance costs. Don't have the details on the duty and tax issues yet but presumably some of the odds and ends attracted the dreaded 5% tariff - the camera itself is duty/tax free.
    Jim Hare - don't scratch your head too hard I am his father.

Winzar Sr. Pleasure!

Coming out to the WA shoot to say hi?

Thanks for the info, that makes a lot of sense since otherwise future shipments would be double taxed.

My Epic arrives Monday so it's good to know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by John Winzar View Post
    Epic-X hit our house on Monday - great excitment! Invoiced Value was value of the available components of the Epic-X package when shipped (i.e. no PRO Battery Module, Module Adaptor or REDMOTE) including the $5,000 deposit and $1,250 MX conversion credit. There was also $US7,490 of non package items included in the shipment. Shipping and handling to Perth was $US289.74. GST is always 10% of invoice value plus S & H at the prevailing exchange rate when the clearance is done so will be slightly different depending on individual orders and clearance dates - in this case GST was $AU2,455.77 . Also charged $AU15.00 for Duty & Tax and $AU50.54 for Duty and/or tax Advancement Fee plus the usual $AU55.20 for AQIS/clearance costs. Don't have the details on the duty and tax issues yet but presumably some of the odds and ends attracted the dreaded 5% tariff - the camera itself is duty/tax free.
    Jim Hare - don't scratch your head too hard I am his father.

If you are interested in trivia the things which attracted duty charges were the Batterry Charger and the 2B to1B Lemo Power Adaptor Cable