Thread: Storage & Archival Workflow

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Storage & Archival Workflow 
    I am new around here. I've been reading and following for a while but have only posted a handful of times. I putting together a major project that will unfold over the next few years and am trying to envision both my storage requirements and my archival requirements. I am coming to the film world from stills where data builds up rather quickly, but nothing like it does shooting 5k stereo epics. I am breaking down my storage issues into three categories.

1) Field Storage - the project is a natural history documentary which means we will be working in 6-8 locations around the world, typically for a month or so and typically in remote rather hostile environments. Continuous power isn't always available as we probably will be running of generators for large portions of the trip. I assume that we will be shooting quite a lot at each location. At least in the still world, I always find that shooting wildlife requires a lot more images than scenics do. For a field computer, we will have a MacBook Pro or two and probably a Mobile Rocket if needed and when conditions allow. Knowing all that, what would you suggest for field storage? I have been considering either A) bare 2.5" drives stored in a pelican case and plugged into the red stations; B) a bunch of drives like the LaCie ruggeds over the fastest connection available when I purchse them (Fw800/TB/USB3/eSata); or C) something I don't know anything about yet... As far as archiving plans, I plan to have each Red SSD from copied to two drives before getting cleared and put back in a camera.

2) Permanent Storage and Archive - once I return from the field, I will offload the field drives to whatever will be the final storage solution. I currently use JBOD style configurations in Burly Enclosures for my stills and video now. I like it because it is simple and easy. My current archive system is 1 working drive, 1 drive that mirrors the working drive (not RAID, just cloned after work has been done), and 2 DVD archives that are last resort backups that are stored in two different locations. Clearly the DVDs don't work for video files. How do you archive the original media? Is LTO the best solution?

3) Editing - since JBOD isn't the fastest setup in the world, clearly a RAID setup is required to do the editing. Does the RAID need to be big enough to hold all the footage or what? I'm still new to optimizing a system for this. Up until now, most of the video was 1080 and worked just fine on my current system. If it matters, we will be doing the editing in the Adobe suite on a MacPro.

Any help or suggestions based on what I have come up with would be hugely helpful. If I am totally wrong, please point me in the right directions. I am open to any suggestions and truly appreciate the help. Thanks!

Really? Does no one have any feedback? I would really appreciate any ideas on how people manage the media produced by an Epic! Thanks.
    Drew

Senior Member Rosario Balistreri's Avatar
    Your storage plan is good ;)

1-B, Two copies of each file to two LaCie Rugged, one for disk.
    2. Your plan works, LTO isn't cheap at all. But ear what the others say.
    3. I can advice also a 2.5" for editing with proxies, no needs of fastest drives (or RAIDS) or bigger files.
    2.5" and FW800 works good enough if you've to stay "mobile".
    Probabilly you have like a second or two when accessing from inactivity, but the files plays smooth and without problems.
    I worked on the LaCie Rugged and on the G-Drive 500, but I advice the LaCie for the rugged cover in this case ;)

Drew....already a LOT posted about this and MANY differing beliefs....
    My setup in field: 2.5" & 3.5" external firewire 800/esata reader & 3TB 3.5" drives....
    My online storage back home: (4) 5 bay hot swappable 3.5" 3TB drives for up to 60TB online storage...with T-bold this can expand even further for online storage.....
    & of course i back up those online drives with same 3.5" drives.....

***This is not just epic but my ENTIRE library from 8mm on up......to R3d's and everything in between all digitized and in it's native codec.
    Johnny Friday
    La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico
    www.bajaproductions.com

RED UNDERWATER 2D & 3D

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Fulton View Post
    3) Editing - since JBOD isn't the fastest setup in the world, clearly a RAID setup is required to do the editing. Does the RAID need to be big enough to hold all the footage or what?
    There's no law that says you have to edit the original 4K files. My advice would be to archive all the original R3D files on two sets of drives and store them in different places -- say, one in an office, one at home. Create downrez QuickTime HQ HD copies, and use those for your initial cut. Once you've finalized it, conform the original 4K files, and bring those in to your color correction room for final adjustment and approval. Finish those with titles and visual effects as needed.

A lot depends on your final delivery destination. Is this intended for theatrical exhibition? Home video? Broadcast?
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer