Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DROBO....

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 DROBO.... 
    I am at the end of my rope with Drobo.... over the years I have always tried the new models as they came out.. and one by one they would die, loose data, or just stop working. Jim , the smarter man, had one a year or so ago and it conked out after a month and erased them from his memory... me, I don't seem to learn. I Just got the newest Drobo Pro a few weeks ago... spent 4 days trying to get it to work.. it would come up, i would transfer all my data ( 20 hours of copying ) and then a day later it would nuke itself.

Sent Drobo a support ticket with all the info.. got an automated reply to the ticket. 2 days later a note about a voice mail that never was received and then 8 days later an actual real person ( I think ) responded to the ticket.

Please if our customer service ever gets to that point someone shoot us.

Thank god I don't rely on the Drobos for anything important and we use proper solutions from proper companies.. .. but man o man, I bet you some put their life's work on these things.

Scary Stuff.

Same experience here.
    Not worth the price.

My old JBOD SAS still works like a mars rover...

Venting my friend :)
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

I'm surprised they are still in business. I have never come across them in my work but I do remember how cool they were when they came on the scene. I don't know of anyone who even talks about their stuff anymore since every company under the sun is now in on the attached storage game.

customer service ever gets to that point someone shoot us. ok that funny.

But on a serious note.
    I cant think of any company thats as fast to getting back as RED is.

You guys are so good at what you do and so easy to get help from, its a touch deceiving i feel like hes my friend. =)

Here Ryan Biel take my money, thank you.
    Luis Flores Jr - Shooting CHUCK HANK and THE SAN DIEGO TWINS & RUNNER -

EPIC DRAGONS #202, #1031
    EPIC-M Cameras #960, #1046
    EPIC-X Camera #300

Los Angeles

GOOGULPLX@aol.com
    (805) 822-9870 ce

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    Venting my friend :)
    heh heh heh i put my Toia hat on for a day :)

They are pretty much junk IMHO- and loud...

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    I'm surprised they are still in business. I have never come across them in my work but I do remember how cool they were when they came on the scene. I don't know of anyone who even talks about their stuff anymore since every company under the sun is now in on the attached storage game.
    The only thing that drew me to them was the multiple size random drives; and because of that the ease of expandability. I Don't know anyone else that does quite the same thing. Just 2 bad about the ticking Time Bomb part.

Senior Member Yaque Silva-Doyle's Avatar
    Jared,

This is the shit that every one hates cell phone companies and banks are especially bad. I few years ago a friend of mine posed a very interesting tactic when dealing with this sort of corporate time sink runaround. He explained; he calmly and patiently goes through all of the hoops, gets put on hold for hours, transferred from department to department. Than after all is said and done he finds the address of the accounting department and invoices them for his time. The kicker he has been payed...... twice.
    Yaque

Dos Rios Films
    http://dosriosfilms.com/

I don't use Drobo, but I basically assume that whatever I use will fail. Which I think is the right approach :)

My 2c:
    Buy two RAIDs. One fast "primary" RAID. Another "backup" RAID. Can be cheap - OWC makes little 4-drive boxes for like $250 that run well via eSATA if you're on a low budget. Make 'em RAID-5 - or RAID-6 if you're hitting 8 drives or more.

Buy nice big fast drives - Hitachi 3tbs for example. Try to buy the drives from different locations, so that they aren't all manufactured on the same date (with potentially the same manufacturing flaws).

Now, buy two sets of drives for the "backup" RAID. One set of drives sits in your backup RAID, the other set of drives sits in a Pelican case with anti-static foam, in a different physical location.

Set up a profile using SuperFlexibleFileSynchronizer (yes, that's really its name) to sync from the current set to the backup RAID. Set it to delay deletions by a few days. Set it to verify copies (so it uses a checksum to make sure that the stuff actually wrote to the drive instead of blindly trusting OS X or Windows).

Every few weeks, take all of the drives out of the backup RAID and swap them with the drives in the Pelican case.

If you have laptops, other computers, set up a profile for them to back up to a folder on your primary RAID as well. This will automatically get propagated to the backup RAIDs.

That way you have:

onsite:
    - primary RAID
    - backup RAID (maybe a few days out of date, with deletions a few days behind that)

offsite:
    - backup RAID (a few weeks out of date, but that's good if you accidentally formatted your primary RAID or there was some kind of catastrophic filesystem error :)

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com