Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Audio Cable for Epic X

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Also since my Sanken CS1 short shotgun is phantom powered I have to use my 302 mixer to power it since the Epic doesn't have phantom power. I had to drop the output from the mixer to mic level (directions in the Sound Devices 302 PDF) which I had never done before. The results sounded great, it is a totally workable way to record audio on the Epic.

BTW I would never use a mic without a preamp or mixer on the RED One or Epic unless I just wanted a nat sound track, it is controllable that way.
    Last edited by Brian Ferguson; 09-30-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added comment

Be careful guys - if / when Red enables phantom power on those TRS connectors, not all cables that work now, will necessarily work properly. Also power may flow where it shouldn't, potentially damaging certain types of microphone and/or the phantom power circuit in the camera.

I think anything that gets plugged in there should ideally be correctly wired for balanced audio, and phantom power compatible, to be safe.

[Edit - the Epic phantom power will probably have to have built-in short circuit protection as the TRS connector is inherently likely to be short circuited when being connected/disconnected - but it would still be sensible to use correct balanced cabling and mics]
    Director/Digital Camera Operator/2nd AC/DIT/Data Manager
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

While the manual says that it will take balanced or unbalanced audio via the front connectors, apparently they were having problems with people using the wrong cables. So the current version only works with unbalanced.
    The trick is to know what button to push when.

Senior Member Jonathan Stevenson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fairbanks View Post
    While the manual says that it will take balanced or unbalanced audio via the front connectors, apparently they were having problems with people using the wrong cables. So the current version only works with unbalanced.
    1.7.9 gives you the balanced option.
    -------------
    Epic-X #105 DRAGON
    Movi M10 Stabilizer AVAILABLE NOW
    My Reel, Gear List & Rates

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Stevenson View Post
    1.7.9 gives you the balanced option.
    Makes me wonder if the pin-outs are still the same for the cables? Should be.

I looked at the menu map and the manual and it still looks like phantom power is disabled.

I'd also like to see the pinout for the front audio jack when set to unbalanced. Specifically, is the ring "NC" no connection when the jack is set to unbalanced?

So it's early adopter R1 all over again. Well I'm used to it by now.
    Sure would be nice with all the critical information in one place. Maybe like a yes/no diagram that telephone support people use:)

Quote Originally Posted by R. Schorman View Post

We make an adapter box that will adapt balanced XLR microphones and line-in to Epics mini TRS connectors. You can see it here: http://x.com/store

Ryan
    That A-box looks like a great solution. Do you also have something like that to mount directly on a cheese plate instead of 19mm bars?

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin van Dijck View Post
    That A-box looks like a great solution. Do you also have something like that to mount directly on a cheese plate instead of 19mm bars?
    +1 I imagine I'll be using the Epic handheld sometimes just using the Side Handle. Is there any way to mount the A-box without rails?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Shephard View Post
    +1 I imagine I'll be using the Epic handheld sometimes just using the Side Handle. Is there any way to mount the A-box without rails?
    It comes with a bolt-on rod that works with any 1/4-20 hole (there's some on the top of the Epic).