Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Audio Cable for Epic X

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Audio Cable for Epic X 
    I was trying to find the proper cable to take XLR to the mini plug on the Epic X before a interview shoot this week. I got some help from a man wise with Red knowledge, (he can come forth if he wants to) and he loaned me these cables which worked great. I shot a photo of the front and back so you could see the package. The best thing is this is a part that could be ordered almost anywhere with the part number. The package has a pinout diagram which might be helpful to the handy types. I think this is on the appendix of the Epic Op manual also.

The Epic has a unbalanced mic input so I had to drop my Sound Devices 302 down to Mic level which is a journey into that mixer's menu system which is a series of flashing LED's. Once I had the mixer set to mic out I just adjusted the Epic sound inputs to get the VU meter looking similar to RED One which was all green and just a bit of yellow showing (using the 1k tone generator). I had to call Sound Devices tech support because we were about to ship the gear out and I was in a rush, I have never changed the output and the instructions are not that clear, the SD support was awesome. Never learn anything as well as you do under pressure!

After I do this run & gun job on Wednesday I have more info on how it sounds, but I know I was getting good levels in my quick cable test. We tried a similar cable made for one of the still type/motion cameras and it didn't work at all. It was wired wrong. It looks right but it didn't work.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Ferguson; 09-12-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Clarification

Banned
    The Epic will accept both balanced and unbalanced signals.

We make an adapter box that will adapt balanced XLR microphones and line-in to Epics mini TRS connectors. You can see it here: http://x.com/store

Ryan

I'm using the Mogami mini-jack to XLR cables. They're made very well and work great. About $40 each with free shipping from Amazon and B&H.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

I just placed an order for the x A-Box. After four years of using the audio XLR to Mini XLR adapter cables on my Red Ones I'm done with not having a solid place on the camera to plug my XLR Cables into. A-Box looks small but solid. I hope when it comes in that I'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    I just placed an order for the x A-Box. After four years of using the audio XLR to Mini XLR adapter cables on my Red Ones I'm done with not having a solid place on the camera to plug my XLR Cables into. A-Box looks small but solid. I hope when it comes in that I'll love it.
    You will :)

digitalfx.tv

The RGBlog- Ramblings about Cameras, VFX, etc.
    Twitter

Red One #83
    Epic-M #98 and #240
    Epic-X #83 and #116

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ferguson View Post
    I was trying to find the proper cable to take XLR to the mini plug on the Epic X before a interview shoot this week. I got some help from a man wise with Red knowledge, (he can come forth if he wants to) and he loaned me these cables which worked great. I shot a photo of the front and back so you could see the package. The best thing is this is a part that could be ordered almost anywhere with the part number. The package has a pinout diagram which might be helpful to the handy types. I think this is on the appendix of the Epic Op manual also.
    Brian, thank you very much for that. Just the info I was looking for :-)

Regards,
    Antony
    Last edited by Antony M; 01-25-2012 at 01:57 AM.

The A box from x is awesome, very strong, mounts anywhere and good value for money.

And no.. I wasn't paid to say this!
    Adam Eden
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    Dragon M 8xx, Epic X 25xx, Arri Alexa XT 4:3 Plus, Rocket X, Helix (Seal Team)
    Steadicam and heaps of cool sh*t

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    I'm using the Mogami mini-jack to XLR cables. They're made very well and work great. About $40 each with free shipping from Amazon and B&H.
    Does anyone know if these are balanced cables? I heard there are problems with some cables not being balanced when they should be....

www.SolarSystemStudio.com/

EPIC DRAGON - SCARLET DRAGON - DJI Ronin - Proline Raven steadicam

Quote Originally Posted by R. Schorman View Post
    The Epic will accept both balanced and unbalanced signals.

We make an adapter box that will adapt balanced XLR microphones and line-in to Epics mini TRS connectors. You can see it here: http://x.com/store

Ryan
    Yes the Epic brain will take balanced and unbalanced mics, I don't own any unbalanced mics but the Epic brain input is unbalanced. The above cable is for balanced to unbalanced. I wanted to get a x adapter but the job was last minute and there was no time for shipping. Until the pro input module arrives the Epic brain inputs are unbalanced.
    Last edited by Brian Ferguson; 09-30-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Clarity

Yep, those Hosa cables work. Need stereo TRS cables. I had a mono TRS and it didn't work. $8.50 per cable at filmtools.