Thread: Message about STORM

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Build a full fledged NLE and people will come. :)
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Lequeux View Post
    Build a full fledged NLE and people will come. :)
    I think that has been said half a dozen times already ... and I tend to agree.

Now I am just thinking "out loud."

I sort of hate Premiere, but its technology is undoubtedly better than FCP 6/7.

I sort of hate how FCP X fails to play well with tools outside of the relatively small Apple ecosystem, but like its technology best of the currently available options short of astronomical prices.

(Smoke is pretty hot ... but over priced I think, MC 5 is pretty good but still fails technologically, as does Premiere which also sucks to use.)

Storm's descendant, as an increasingly full featured edit system, meant to integrate with Nuke, but also Resolve would be excellent. I'd love to see a version priced to compete with FCP X, and a version meant to be a "hero box" application priced to compete with Media Composer.

While I am asking for stuff, how about a composite application meant to compete on features and price with AE as well as integrating with Nuke and using a similar UI ... there are huge gaps in the market between Motion and AE, and between AE and Nuke. Shake is still out there, but increasingly dated.

Last thing I'd want to see is a fairly thorough comparison chart between Nuke, Nuke X, AE (and its bundled applications/plug-ins), Motion and the Autodesk products. You may have that already, but I haven't found it.
    Alexander Ibrahim
    Director & DP
    editing/color correction/compositing/effects
    http://www.alexanderibrahim.net
    http://www.zenera.com

Senior Member Mike 'Fireman' Ross's Avatar
    Sorry to hear this, this kind of situation can happen to any company but it's always unfortunate.

It's clearly a new product which people have invested in only recently, and now they find it'll only be supported for a year, with no further development; as a commercial product it's dead in the water. Software pricing & economics is all about expected future value...

I've advocated for open-source before, but wouldn't this be a perfect situation where the solution is to open-source Storm and turn into a community-supported program, if it no longer makes sense as a closed-source commercial product?

Mike
    'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
    Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
    For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'

RED SCARLET-X #513, 'Hekla'
    RED EPIC DRAGON #2229, 'Katla'
    RED ONE MX #10066, 'Askja'

Aw man - very sad to hear!

I tried the beta and it was a lot of fun. But it had no Avid support. That was weird. To me, Avid-users were often the folks doing larger projects, who work with Nuke people, who care about workflow and would have been ideal Storm customers.

So I sent you guys a message saying I'd buy Storm once it supported my editing platform. Then I moved on to Resolve when it was announced, because it played nicely with Avid.

Anyway... excited to hear about what's coming next.

I would love to see some kind of conform / finishing tool that helps glue together Avid, Nuke and DaVinci (bonus points if it uses a nice ACES OpenEXR pipeline). Like eyeon Generation, except not so damn expensive, smarter, and focused on Nuke.

Premiere and After Effects is fine for many folks but once you start doing lots of EXR layers, or stereo projects, it falls apart really quickly. Also, I hit snags often on the dynamic linking thing.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Wow. That's really sad. I actually feel a bit at a loss, like when you accidentally hit an animal that runs out in the street. There was nothing you could have done to miss it, and it doesn't really affect you that much, but you know there was a kids somewhere who really loved him.

I wasn't a storm user, but I love your products.
    That pretty much sums it up. What a stonking analogy.

Anyways, given the opportunities in the NLE market, I don't think you need to be Mike Seymour to see where this is headed. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 'Fireman' Ross View Post
    I've advocated for open-source before, but wouldn't this be a perfect situation where the solution is to open-source Storm and turn into a community-supported program, if it no longer makes sense as a closed-source commercial product?
    Well ... I think they plan on using Storm's code as a basis for a new product. Storm may also include a lot of proprietary goodness that is part of other established product lines ... for example it may contain image processing code from Nuke.

Can't give away the crown jewels, can they?

That said, if Storm is really going to be an abandoned project with no future ... I would really love to see an open source version of the software - providing that such a product wouldn't limit.hurt Foundry's other products/endeavours.
    Alexander Ibrahim
    Director & DP
    editing/color correction/compositing/effects
    http://www.alexanderibrahim.net
    http://www.zenera.com

Hm.

Conform in and out of any thinkable situation with naming conventions for VFX workflows and you have a huge customerbase...
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://blog.gunleik.com

Dragon short: "Sweet..." https://vimeo.com/74358938

Current Indiegogo Campaign: #godtnorsk:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/godtnorsk/x/541483

Whatever you transform it into, I hope you don't leave your customers hanging in the wind and upgrade us to whatever it is. 400 bucks isn't a lot, but it's still hard earned money for many!
    BEN ROJAS
    Creative Editorial | Post Supervision
    Miami | Los Angeles
    www.benrojas.com

Well they announced heiro today. Evolved from storm. Interresting direction as conform can be a b?!?!ch.
    Colorist | Los Angeles, CA | www.filmandtvcolor.com

Twitter: @4kfinish

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shackleton View Post
    Like the rest of you, we were very intrigued to see REDCINE-X PRO. We love the look of it and see it as proof of RED's commitment to its professional users. STORM is a professional tool for RED users and now that REDCINE-X PRO has emerged, justifying investment in developing STORM becomes harder and harder against free software of this breadth. We say this with a heavy heart, because we're fond of what we've done.

The current release - STORM 1.0v4 - is the end of the STORM roadmap for us.

STORM will remain available to purchase until the end of September after which we will maintain the software until the end of October 2012.

We have also been busy on a secret project based on STORM technology which we'll be revealing at IBC in Amsterdam this weekend, so come and see us if you're attending.

Richard

Okay Richard, sorry to hear this, but even I, which I am not an Editor, knew this was coming, unless Storm was to either completely Evolve, or change completely course of action.

Question now is... What for all of those, like my self, which believed in your Company and Product, and Purchased STORM on April 26th 2011... Will we get a Credit towards the purchase of other Software?

Thanks.
    KETCH ROSSi F i l m m a k e r
    RED EPIC #00008 aka DragonM8