Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED HISTORY

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    One of the best trips in my life... (April 2007)

The "Crossing" shoot was so much fun. When Jarred, Deanan, Rob and I flew over to New Zealand to shoot with Peter, we had NO IDEA what he had planned. We showed up and went right into a production meeting with 15 people. I thought we were just going to do do some testing and get some footage for NAB. The surprise (on us) was that Peter called in his army to shoot a short feature. There were over 200 people... with uniforms, guns and airplanes! It seems that Peter had generated a script while we were in the air from Orange County to Wellington and it called for helicopter footage from one of the cameras. Now "Boris" and "Natasha" were both less than a few days old and we had no idea how they would hold up to rigorous treatment. I politely asked Peter, in front of 14 other people, if "we might do the helicopter stuff last"? There was a bit of trepidation in my voice as I could just see these cameras biting the dust in minutes. Peter told me to relax and that everything would be fine. Two and a half days later, he was right. After a true beating, including heat, dust & dirt, cranes, helicopters and 14 hours a day non-stop... we didn't lose a take. I met this guy, Neill Blomkamp, who Peter said would be a future star. Apparently Peter was right. Neill ran the 2nd unit and I could immediately see why Peter thought so much of this "kid". It was no surprise to me to see what Neill did with "District 9". He is a super talent. Every one of Peter's crew was a delight to work with. The shoot was so fun and I will remember it forever. The payoff of this shoot was to see people waiting up to 2 hours to see it at NAB 2007... and glad they did. BTW, that was less than one week after we shot. Peter's team posted the footage and delivered it the night before NAB opened. Whew!

Jim
    Last edited by Jannard; 09-05-2011 at 03:21 AM.
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    "Ché"...(June 2007)

So Steven Soderbergh went with Ted to see a screening of "Crossing the Line" in LA. Apparently Steven was impressed enough to ask Ted to call me on my cell from the theater. "Hello. This is Steven Sodebergh. I'm all in." I was a bit intoxicated and lost. "All in for what?" "I want to shoot Ché on your camera. And I start in a month." I had no idea whatsoever how this could possibly happen so I said the obvious thing... "OK."

We had to scramble to get more prototypes together for this movie. I warned Steven that he was shooting on prototypes and there might be issues. His response was "You'll figure it out." OK... we were now completely panicked and excited at the same time. We cut it so close that Deanan and Rob loaded code to fix a dropped frame issue when recording to CF cards 15 minutes before the 1st take in Spain. There were over 200 extras in a ravine with Benicio Del Toro. The cameras fired up and the rest is history. Soderbergh has the biggest balls of anyone I have ever met.

On a side note, we heard that the cameras were over-heating in the 100+ degree heat of Spain on the 1st day. I actually posted as much as soon as I heard about it. They used ice packs to keep the cameras cool. I think everyone in the industry heard this story. What they didn't hear, even though I posted this info as well, is that the cameras didn't actually over-heat. We had set the warning 10C too low, so the alarm went off... but prematurely. Anyone who has shot a RED ONE knows that it is the least sensitive digital camera to heat ever made.

http://vimeo.com/9031359

Jim
    Last edited by Jannard; 09-06-2011 at 01:10 AM.
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Fincher...

Steven Soderbergh (last 6 features on RED) is good friends with David Fincher. Fincher looked at RED during the "Frankie" days just before shoot "Benjamin Buttons" which was just too early. Soderbergh encourages Fincher to take another look, which David does. This was right before "The Social Network" begins shooting.

David stops by and pushes us for a lot of stuff, including a carbon fiber bodied RED ONE to be used on a crew boat for a race. We have no idea whatsoever how to do it... so of course we say "no problem". We get the carbon fiber cameras finished on time and it turns out they were used on one of the most incredible scenes in the entire movie.

David then decides to shoot "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" on RED and is pushing us for EPIC. We can't answer the bell in time so he begins on RED ONE M-X and then switches over to EPIC mid-stream when we can accommodate.

David is wicked smart and uber-talented.. and he pushes the envelop. Just the way we like it...

Jim

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    REDCINE-X concept...

Everything starts out as a concept. This was the 1st RCX concept comp. (2006)

Jim

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Early War Room years... (early 2007)

Jim

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    2006 Break in...

In 2006 we had a break in to our Lake Forest offices. What was stolen included Matt's computer with all the design files and a bunch of other stuff. Conspiracy theories ran rampant.

Jim

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Christmas 2006...

I guess this says it all... we are just not normal.

Jim

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Very 1st sound clip from a RED ONE...

Jim

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Unusual graphic ideas... (2006)

Jim
    Last edited by Jannard; 09-05-2011 at 04:54 PM.

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    1st EVF prototypes...

Jim