Thread: Remote start schematic for EPIC

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Remote start schematic for EPIC 
    Maybe it's just me, but there are three things about this circuit found in the EPIC operation guide that strike me as overlooked/sloppy...

First of all, that's an LED in the middle. It took me a little while to figure out that it's not just a seemingly randomly placed diode with arrows coming out of it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I conversed with a friend of mine about it and that's what he got out of it too.

Second, it's supposedly a Schmitt trigger. Again correct me if I'm wrong...but this is just a decoupled 3.3v.

Third, it's going out to a LEMO connector, not a BNC, correct?

I could be totally wrong about everything here, but this is just what I got out of it.
    AC and owner of MadlyFins, LLC
    Chicago, IL
    andy@madlyfins.com
    www.madlyfins.com

The skeematik makes sense to me. The symbol for the LED is correct.....a bit exaggerated from an artistic standpoint, but stil correct. As for the BNC, well I suppose LEMO pinout would be more useful.

RED makes a breakout cable for the camera control port with BNC connections, thus the BNC connector noted.
    Mitch Gross
    Director of Communications
    Convergent-Design

Mitch is correct. With this cable, you connect your remote start / stop to the white BNC, in Epic setup menu setting, set the camera in to GPIO and it works like a charm. We made one based off of the diagram and works like a charm.
    IATSE Local 600 DIT
    www.FreehillProductions.com/

Has anyone had success making a remote start stop cable for the epic going straight into the 4 pin Lemo? I would love to know the correct pin info if available.
    Brian

I would love to know the correct pin info if available.
    Page 138 of the Epic operation guide.
    http://planb-red.com
    Red Epic Dragon camera rental
    Location caméra Red Epic Dragon
    Marseille

Quote Originally Posted by brian mcclatchy View Post
    Has anyone had success making a remote start stop cable for the epic going straight into the 4 pin Lemo? I would love to know the correct pin info if available.
    Brian
    Brian,
    The connector's (Lemo 00-series) pinout remains the same. The GPI trigger that was used on Red One cannot be used with EPIC, unless you have a PRO I/O which is claimed to be equipped with similar connector (Lemo's 0B-series) and then you could short pins 1 and 2. (EDIT: Please do not short pins without referring to the product's manual. You may cause a lot of damage.)

great - thanks for the info. we are working on a solution and will post what we come up with!

i just ordered the parts shown in the diagram and will get them tomorrow.
    I´ll build a small box housing 3 x AAA batteries supplying 4,5V with a BNC Connector.
    I ordered the Sync Breakout Cable, so i can use any length of BNC Cable i need to remote start/Stop the camera.

I´ve a car shooting coming up where the Epic will go on a car with a crane, so we need to remote start/stop the camera since i think the Redmote won´t ship yet, and even then, our last expericenes with Redmote where not good with distances longer than 6-9ft.
    MR International Director & DOP Team
    Epic - Motion Control Equipment - BeSteadyFour(soon)
    based in Munich - working everywhere
    AGENCY: Dirs-n-Dops Berlin

You probably worked all this out already, but the schmitt trigger is in the EPIC itself ! You could simply the schematic for sure- the cap is presumably just to help deal with a dodgy cable connection and to protect from ridiculously big power supply ripples... The LED (and its current-limiting resistor) is of course optional. Something which might not be obvious to a beginner- it's absolutely crucial that you connect your power supply's GND to the GND on the BNC or Lemo.

Kris