Thread: Anyone editing RED in Vegas these days?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Anyone editing RED in Vegas these days? 
    Wow - no posts in this subforum for months - just curious - is anyone using Vegas to edit r3ds these days?
    I have a feeling, though, that this forum will light up once the Scarlet Fixed is released....

Vegas hasn't really added anything new to their RED plugin lately so there's just probably nothing for people to talk about. I still use it as my primary editor of RED footage (especially on time sensitive commercials) as I cannot stand the UI in Premiere. Looks great, even without the latest Color Science. I've also been meaning to offer them use of a Rocket card so they can add support for it...

I just got my Epic last month and I've been cutting in Vegas. It seems to work OK, but the R3D editor is a bit frustrating. Changes don't even show up in the preview window on my machine until I hit OK. I think they're supposed to live update as you change settings. :(

Updates show up in realtime for me. Preview in Best Auto plays back full fps, and I can add effects (even Magic Bullet) and preview them at full fps. Needs RC3 support now.

Needs RC3 andRed Rocket support. Still a better UI than Premiere IMHO

Yes, Vegas rocks for editing Red footage! Surely there must be others that prefer Vegas's interface.

Nothing wrong with Sony Vegas Pro. If I need to do something fast and it's a pretty straight forward edit job and/or small project, then I use Vegas. Have been since 2009 for R1, and now R1 and Epic footage.

If a project gets larger, significant compositing is required or there's time/budget for detailed finish, then I end up in other tools. It's more a best tool for the job thing to me, I have different favorites depending on what I need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gyori View Post
    Yes, Vegas rocks for editing Red footage! Surely there must be others that prefer Vegas's interface.
    The UI is indeed very intuitive and I can get things done much quicker than any other NLE out there. R3D decoding aside, Vegas Pro 11 is stunningly fast with GPU acceleration. I was experimenting with the in-built colour correction tools and was amazed when I failed to knock it out of real-time even after 20 nodes! (Note: This is for 1920 XDCAM-EX footage processed by Radeon HD 7970) Do the same with Premiere (w/ GTX 580) or Vegas 10 and they are unplayable. Yes, it lacks tracking or complex masks, but it can do most things a dedicated color corrector can and some more. For the first time an NLE can be considered a bonafide real-time color corrector. There's a lot more to Vegas, but I will stop here.

Premiere has the edge for RED footage though, now that audio is finally supported.

I just upgraded my Vegas 9 to 11 before the March discount promotion ends (just under $133 for the upgrade, plus you get two "free" downloads in the way of instructional courses and such). I absolutely think Vegas is one of the most intuitive, well-designed programs of ANY kind that I've ever used, let alone NLE. I MUCH prefer it to Premiere and couldn't believe how much faster I was able to get things done (usually without having to consult a manual) when I made the switch a number of years ago. Premiere's interface certainly looks much better than it used to, and I have CS4 sitting idle on my computer, but I have never had the incentive to try Premiere these days to see if I'd ever want to use it. I suppose now that I just took delivery of my Epic, I'll have to compare the two (likely after having to upgrade Premiere), but I seriously doubt it will compete for my affections with Vegas.
    Elizabeth Lowrey
    Triumvirate Filmworks

RED Epic-X #2114

Quote Originally Posted by Subhadip Sen View Post
    The UI is indeed very intuitive and I can get things done much quicker than any other NLE out there. R3D decoding aside, Vegas Pro 11 is stunningly fast with GPU acceleration. I was experimenting with the in-built colour correction tools and was amazed when I failed to knock it out of real-time even after 20 nodes! (Note: This is for 1920 XDCAM-EX footage processed by Radeon HD 7970) Do the same with Premiere (w/ GTX 580) or Vegas 10 and they are unplayable. Yes, it lacks tracking or complex masks, but it can do most things a dedicated color corrector can and some more. For the first time an NLE can be considered a bonafide real-time color corrector. There's a lot more to Vegas, but I will stop here.

Premiere has the edge for RED footage though, now that audio is finally supported.
    When you talk about it lacking tracking, you're talking about motion tracking? We own the Boris BCC7 plugin for Vegas and it has plenty of motion tracking features. I'm curious which complex tasks you feel are out of Vegas's capability, especially with a few key plugins. Certainly many tasks are outside of Premiere's built-in reach and require After Effects. I've done many compositing jobs with masks easily in Vegas.

I know a few people that feel because Vegas has an intuitive interface, it must be a simple program without sophisticated ability... I beg to differ. :)