Thread: Resolve Lite 8.01 First Impressions

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53
  1. #11  
    Senior Member Mark Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    LA/NY
    Posts
    367
    I've been banging Lite around for a couple days now and I think it is amazing. Haven't quite got the hang of the tracker, but it is FAST!

    Waiting for my 4000 without any patience whatsoever...

    One question: Can I render my clips out 4k/5k in the full (desktop) version? (The documentation seems to contradict itself somewhat on this detail)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member Mark Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    LA/NY
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    I would only add that if one can't make a proper image with one or two nodes they shouldn't call themselves a colorist.
    It seems like you can add a correction from each palette on every node - is that correct? I suppose you could want a bunch of power windows...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    108
    I've looked at youtubes regarding control surfaces in the $1500 range. Anyone have realworld hands on with the Tangent Devices Wave Panel vs. Euphonix MC COLOR?

    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member David Kellermann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Freiburg, Germany & Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxi Claudio View Post
    I've looked at youtubes regarding control surfaces in the $1500 range. Anyone have realworld hands on with the Tangent Devices Wave Panel vs. Euphonix MC COLOR?

    Haven't used the MC Color yet. I'm quite happy with the quality of the Tangent Wave... one issue I found is that the trackballs seem to have a slightly different grip, so that they aren't moving with the same resistance (sorry can't describe it more precisely with my English). Still I would definitively recommend it!
    a better TRUTH . film production & aerial cinematography
    Germany | Czech Republic
    http://www.a-better-truth.com

    FreeflySystems Cinestar8 | RED Scarlet-X

    Visit my webstore at store.a-better-truth.com

    GL optics | Paralinx | ProLine | TQ systems and more to come
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mexico city, Mexico.
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipe Ratton View Post
    I think the lite version is already too much for a free version.
    But that's just me, please don't kill me.

    Maybe, but then we need a learning version, I can't learn to use most of Resolve with the lite version, I can't even play with HDRx's and learn how to use them! That's the only reason I downloaded the software, to learn how to use it, but with only 2 nodes most of the thing i did in Color I can't even try them. I have no need for a working software, all I needed was an academic one, for me, they could even disable the render out and monitor out, but let me use all the nodes I need. I'm going to use a full Resolve suite in couple of weeks, and I have no were to practice and learn before I get there, and no the lite version was no the answer, at least I know a little about the interface and setting up a project, but the actual grading is very limited with just 2 nodes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member jake blackstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Villegas S. View Post
    Maybe, but then we need a learning version, I can't learn to use most of Resolve with the lite version, I can't even play with HDRx's and learn how to use them! That's the only reason I downloaded the software, to learn how to use it, but with only 2 nodes most of the thing i did in Color I can't even try them. I have no need for a working software, all I needed was an academic one, for me, they could even disable the render out and monitor out, but let me use all the nodes I need. I'm going to use a full Resolve suite in couple of weeks, and I have no were to practice and learn before I get there, and no the lite version was no the answer, at least I know a little about the interface and setting up a project, but the actual grading is very limited with just 2 nodes.
    Sorry Pablo.
    Frankly, in my personal opinion, Lite version is so good, that conceivably, it could be used to do a paying job with few limitations, let alone used to learn how to use it. It just proves, that there is no pleasing everyone, no matter what...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member Tom.Wong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York/New Jersey
    Posts
    1,975
    +1 Jake, lite is way too good to be true, and it's gonna be one of the most valuable on set pieces of software when it comes to bringing a digital lab on set. Used my full da vinci setup on set the other day for various one lights and editorial offline encoding. lightning fast, super powerful, even some courtesy dissolves/power windows so the client can get a better idea of what they are gonna have, made everybody super happy. Lite lets you do that too, on a laptop or wherever without having to pay the thousand bux. I did a LOT with 2 nodes...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    My 2c, take it for what you will. I am very sympathetic to the broke filmmaker club and often part of it. So I kinda agree... but here's my counter-argument:

    Sure, a PLE version where they watermark it would be nice and a $250 intermediary version would be great too.

    But do you want Blackmagic to focus their time on making different trial versions - or focus their time on making the $1000 version of Resolve more awesome? Or a Windows version, etc.

    Resolve Lite seems plenty to me for you to take a look and say "wow, I want this now" If you want to learn color grading, you're going to spend $1000+ on a panel. Plus video output card, monitor, etc. The software is just a small part of the "I want to learn color grading" cost. You can always re-sell it on RedUser if you decide that grading is not for you.

    BTW - I remember when 10 years ago the way of learning Resolve, Smoke, etc was to go and apprentice at a color house just to be allowed some hours on the machine in the middle of the night! Now it's $1000 for Resolve and you can learn Smoke and Nuke X with a subscription to fxphd. And they all run on your desktop computer! Life has gotten better!

    Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mexico city, Mexico.
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Sorry Pablo.
    Frankly, in my personal opinion, Lite version is so good, that conceivably, it could be used to do a paying job with few limitations, let alone used to learn how to use it. It just proves, that there is no pleasing everyone, no matter what...
    It might be great, if you have a use for it, 1 Light color correction is good and all, and if you have, or even used the full version, it might be a great tool to have a limited version for free.

    I just wanted to learn how to use it, in it's full extent, most of the advanced things it can do requiere several nodes, and I can't learn how to use them with the lite version. I wanted to try the Epic HDRx workflow before I started paying by the hour in a full Resolve suite, but it can't be done in the lite version.

    I'm not a colorist, so I wont get paid to use it, I'm a DOP that sometimes needs to grade his own work, and I used Apple Color before, but now, I can't even use it with Epic footage, so I was looking into alternative Color Grading applications.

    So I'm not bashing the lite version, it has it uses, I'm just saying is not for me and it's not for someone trying to learn how to use DaVinci Resolve advanced features.

    I did learned the basic stuff though.

    Regards

    PS: BTW I'm using it on an iMac, I don't have an editing or grading System home, because I don't get paid to do it. All the grading I've done is on post production houses or Tv Networks. That's why I wont buy the full version.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Villegas S. View Post

    I just wanted to learn how to use it, in it's full extent, most of the advanced things it can do requiere several nodes, and I can't learn how to use them with the lite version. I wanted to try the Epic HDRx workflow before I started paying by the hour in a full Resolve suite, but it can't be done in the lite version.
    .
    Learn to walk before you run. You don't need to get to the advanced stuff until you know how to make a proper image. There's very, very little that "can't be done" in the lite version. If you think it requires parallel nodes and 10 secondaries to make a decent image, you're just indicating a lack of experience in doing basic grading. Unless the material you're dealing with is really awful, you should be able to make a decent image - even a "creative grade" - without any of that stuff. That's not an exaggeration, it's the truth, and any experienced colorist would tell you exactly the same thing.

    People really have to stop thinking they need a Rolls Royce in order to drive to the supermarket.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts