Thread: Jib arm with stabilized head for filming on lake?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tom,

you could ask Frog Squad for an advice and solution because they are probably experts in that field...

http://www.frogsquad.co.za/gallery/camera-boats

Fatbastard Camera boat

Wrecksentinel 2

But my advice is to try with Tyler Minigyro on Kessler Crane+Head that should be fixed very strong, safe and also as stable as possible at the boat floor....
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

I just don't think the Tyler Minigyro is going to be the answer because of wind. Steadicam won't work either, same problem. You stick a minigyro out on a jib head, my bet would be it's going to act like a big sail.

Senior Member constantine Tirintzis's Avatar
    Tom hello Long time ...anyway I can advice on a rental configuration and you can do this. PM me.

to sum up. you want to be able to fly just above the water at high speed,

I assume the system will ne at the front.

Question. do you need to control moves of the camera system or could it be a fixed mount as well?

Both possible to get done on the cheap.

regards
    Constantine Tirintzis
    Steadicam,Robotics,design & engineering
    constantine@flowcine.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    The only time I've shot boat-to-boat crane stuff involved a Libra head -- I don't know what the cheaper version of that would be. I suppose with a 5K original you might be able to zoom in and stabilize the footage in post if it's not too rocky.
    Yeah, maybe some kind of mini Libra head? I wonder if such a thing exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Lancaster View Post
    sorry to sidetrack

Tom, I use to go house boating on lake powell every year as a kid. There is a cool pothole arch that shows in low water level. Its up Rock Creek Bay @ 37 8'9.71"N 11110'14.81"W

http://www.dbherberg.com/powell/Pano...CreekArchV.jpg
    Thanks for this tip, Chad! I will try to film it for sure.

How about this gyro set up?, hand held from the top handle or maybe slung from a frame using heavy duty bungees. No jib arm but should get the shot your after. I have never used gyros so I don't know how effective they are, apparently they are pretty good?
    Good luck with the shoot.

Edit: can you let us know how you went on the shoot? because I plan on using a jet ski in future as one of my camera platforms in the Kimberley.
    cheers
    Attached Images
    Fathom Productions

Senior Member constantine Tirintzis's Avatar
    What you can do is this. rent 2 or even 4 Kenyon gyros,then all you need to do is make a small platform that I can quickly sketch for you so you can do it on a waterjet cheap.
    and a 1 meter boom arm, which it can be an aluminum tube of around 60-80mm diameter 3-5 mm thick.and a few bungies that I will tell you how to mount so you can make a gimbal.and a afew small counterweights like 100 grams to balance the rig with precision.
    And of course a waterproof housing for the Epic.

Thats as cheap as you can go on renting stuff and make some easy support system, having dead stabilizing shots with solid horizons on high speed

If you like write me and I will send you a quick design that you can make this very cost effective.

Regards
    Constantine Tirintzis
    Steadicam,Robotics,design & engineering
    constantine@flowcine.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    The only time I've shot boat-to-boat crane stuff involved a Libra head -- I don't know what the cheaper version of that would be. I suppose with a 5K original you might be able to zoom in and stabilize the footage in post if it's not too rocky.
    just a side note,as David mentioned, in regards to stabilization and movement, you have to be careful with motion blur, or else you will have a steady shot with wierd motion artifacts. shooting a faster shutter will help, but then ofcourse that is a different look.
    Sidney Lexy Plaut, DFF
    Director of Photography
    www.sidneylexyplaut.com

Tom, I second or third the steadicam concept. I did a boat to boat commercial on Lake Michigan with five foot waves and the footage was silk smooth - and I am not an experienced steadicam operator. What we did was clamp the end of the arm to the boat deck and then just operate as normal. That way you have the smoothness of the steadicam without the need for the difficulties of the vest. And since Lake Powell is likely to be quite smooth the steadicam clamped to the boat in underslung mode should work very well. BTW we found this smoother than the Tyler boat mount. Hope this helps.
    Richard Foster
    http://www.fosterent.com
    RED MX #1058 "Secretariat"

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. - Einstein

Carpe Diem

When you all are flying steadicams on hard mounts like this, do you use a different gimbal or other method to "stiffen" the gimbal sensitivity to wind and such? Or do you balance it such that the CG is closer to the camera? In wind, and on "bumpy" platforms, the gimbal freedom seems a hindrance...
    Anson Fogel
    Camp4 Collective
    www.camp4collective.com