Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: The Clutch

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Love my CLUTCH. Worth every penny IMO. When you're supporting a $30,000-$100,000 camera, a solid $5,000 rig isn't all that unbelievable. Count in R&D, parts, manufacturing time, margin... it all adds up.

True. But a 15.000 scarlet setup ... I wouldn't mind adding it to my inventory if I could. But a 1.500-2.500 rig just fits the bill somewhat better. Guess I'll jut have to wait.

SCARLET-X "Mathilda"

"Life is full of obstacles. They never end. The ones that get past them have the richest life."
    jim jannard

"if your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough."
    robert capa

The thing that convinced me to buy it was that I didn't have a lot of the core camera support bits (19mm rods, quick release etc.). Red support gear I was looking at tallied up to $2200-$2400ish, the extra wasn't a lot more than dropping $2K on an ET...

Not advocating one way or the other, but this is how it played for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Blythe View Post
    The thing that convinced me to buy it was that I didn't have a lot of the core camera support bits (19mm rods, quick release etc.). Red support gear I was looking at tallied up to $2200-$2400ish, the extra wasn't a lot more than dropping $2K on an ET...

Not advocating one way or the other, but this is how it played for me.
    Me too.

I have a Clutch and bought it "out of the gate" with my Epic package. I'm SO GLAD I did too! It's flat out awesome. I tried the Gunner at Reducation recently, it was nice too... both have their place. I agree... if you have TWO quick release plates, you can go from sticks to Clutch in seconds. That's awesome!

I've just received the clutch today from RED, but as there exists no user manual, I have to figure out how things work... As of now, I have the following question and hope somebody can help: someone wrote that the rig should be balanced so it stays on the shoulder without holding the sticks. I can't figure out how this should work, as all heavy parts including the brain are positioned on the front side?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    It's an awesome bit of Kit... very well made in fact.... but probably about 2-3 grand to expensive for the masses.
    It's half the price of and actual Scarlet, you can actually buy 2 x Canon 5ds with lenses for that... and at the end of the day, its just a bunch of aluminium brackets, with not a single electronic part in it sitting on your shoulder. Take the camera of it and it becomes a...bunch of aluminium brackets.

I'd love to see more people buy RED accessories, because they are very good. But just short of 5k for a thing that sits on your shoulder... ?.. you have to really think.

Some things in the RED store are so cheap.. other things are like NOT.... Like a RED MOTE... CHEAP!!!... The SCARLET.. CHEAP! A RED MAG card !!!!.. NOT!

I'm not wineing... I've bought almost everything RED has made X3... but for the not so well to do out there, its a big stretch to purchase a bracket that cost half as much as your camera.

Even though there is a shit load of profit in these parts, ( I know this because I know dudes in China knocking alot of this stuff out) .. Sometimes its best to bring the price down to reality to make people want to by the camera in the first place.

People do put things in perspective these days... I know I did when I was getting in PRO cameras many years ago.

I'm only rambling on because I'd like some of the less endowed to enjoy the RED experience.

And at the end of the day, I don't own RED, Its a business and should make money.... why not. :) so what I say doesn't mean diddle squat.

Have I told lately, how much I love my EPIC. :)
    You have Mark. And we all do.
    For me (privately) anything is a stretch... :)

For me (representing whatever) a lot isn't.

I see both sides of that equation...
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://blog.gunleik.com

Dragon short: "Sweet..." https://vimeo.com/74358938

Current Indiegogo Campaign: #godtnorsk:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/godtnorsk/x/541483

Gian, I don't have a Clutch currently (going to pull the trigger any time now on that) but I did try it on at NAB. I found that it was heavy in the front if you didn't snug up the pads against your body really well. Once it sits on your shoulder comfortably and the pads are tight then it should move with your torso without holding the grips. Become one with the machine!
    Scarlet-X Ti Canon # 1381 "PANDORA"

You save a fair bit of money getting the clutch... it's on my list just now right now. Amazing rig.

Paul Ellington
    director/dp & writer

Does anyone know what the parts list is for this setup?

Looks like a more compact run and gun alternative to Gunner.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Wenger View Post
    Jarred, will the shoulder pad be sold separately, love the setup you showed in another thread.
    When will the wedge be available in the store ?

thanks
    Manuel