Thread: AVID PREVIEWS AJA Kona / Blackmagic / MOTU, 64-bit, res-independent, 7.1, Red Giant &

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 AVID PREVIEWS AJA Kona / Blackmagic / MOTU, 64-bit, res-independent, 7.1, Red Giant & 
    UPDATE from Job ter Burg - video highlights from the presentation in Burbank:
    http://apps.avid.com/getmc/video-brb...cid=4041780%20

It started on Avid-L & Twitter, now it's all over ProVideoCoalition:
    http://provideocoalition.com/index.p...ssional_event/

- 3rd party support for AJA Kona, Blackmagic Decklink, Matrox, MOTU & Bluefish444(!)
    - 64-bit
    - Shiny new interface (but still familiar - keeps old keyboard commands, etc)
    - raster-independence (a slide specifically mentioned 2K, 4K and 28K - Monstro medium format size!)
    - DNxHD444 (like ProRes444 but without the gamma issues :)
    - 7.1 surround support & improved audio mixer
    - Improved Pro Tools integration
    - MC Color support

Red Giant previewed Red Giant Looks for Avid there too.

Likely coming out before the end of this year.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah the legalese "The information in this presentation is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation..." since they're a public company and want to tell us what they're aiming for but not go too far.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

NICE! Thanks Apple!

Pat

Ha! Amazing Avid ever cared about supporting MOTU.
    Kaku Ito/dittok

Weapon Helium 8K S35
    , Epic-M DRAGON, Epic-X, RED ONE, Motion Mount EF, Canon Ti Mount, Nikon Alu Mount, almost all Sigma EF lenses, RED ROCKET X, DaVinci Resolve, Dell XPS15 wiith Razer Core, MacBook Pro 13inch Retina, Fully loaded PC Workstation, Calman with Klein probe.

dittok One Stop RAW Visual Production Service

this comes through i'm back with avid in a heartbeat.

ok, crossgrade now, i need avid for finalncutters
    red is not a color, it's a camera.

Sounds awesome, but will it Export to Facebook? :)

bruce, can i have a retarted timeline so i can easily make useless youtube videos from family holidays. you know, thats what great about imovie pro
    red is not a color, it's a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Cüneyt Kaya View Post
    bruce, can i have a retarted timeline so i can easily make useless youtube videos from family holidays. you know, thats what great about imovie pro
    Haha, well actually I wouldn't mind if they took some of the good ideas from FCP X and stuck them in Media Composer and combined it with Pro Tools.

Metadata - Avid always used to be the leaders in metadata so I hope they feel their geek-cred threatened and go further in response. Keep the bins - but also give us "smart bins" and allow tagging.

Bin display and skimming - having some more visual ways to look at bins would be fun.

Timeline auditioning and grouping clips seems useful. They should do something like that. Even add the ability to create magnetic timeline-like lanes if you want - BUT with options to keep the audio organized, keep overall your stems and routing intact. Clever ways of syncing secondary audio to events is something I've wanted for 10 years.

Scripting language support and more open API sounds good too.

This things can be added more elegantly than the way they are done in FCP X in my opinion.

Lots of precedents for this. Caligari trueSpace had 3D manipulators first - but then Maya did them better. Fractal Design Painter had layers first - but then Photoshop did them better. Often the second company to implement a feature does it in a more rational way. Then everybody else copies that second company's implementation :)

No reason Avid can't have their cake and eat it too!

Glad to see that they're sorting out the most pressing current issues with this release. Now they can really do fun stuff for v6.5, v7 etc!

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Are they still bound to avid mxf transcode or will it support any file format/size like DS does?

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Are they still bound to avid mxf transcode or will it support any file format/size like DS does?

Pat
    In 5.5 you can play many formats directly off timeline without MXF transcode (eg R3D, ProRes etc) as an option (called AMA) but they couldn't be of arbitrary resolution - needed to match a broadcast raster format - 1080p, 720p, SD 486, DV 480 etc. Also you couldn't do a feature working directly with a ton of R3Ds because of 32bit memory issues etc.

I'd assume that "raster independence" indicates that v6 will be truly resolution independent (in both project settings and media you put in the system). And the greater memory freedom of 64bit should allow us to work with very large supported image sizes - but I guess it depends on the implementation. For example if they're using GPU a lot, then you can't load a 28K video clip onto a Quadro without difficulty :)

So I think the answer is a tentative "looks like it's gonna be like DS"?

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com