Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Why everyone is so painfully wrong about FCPX

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Gallone View Post
    This is my position:
    I bought it with compressor 4 because I wanted to use the 64 bit power of compressor 4.
    Didn't I read that compressor is still 32 bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Gray View Post
    Yes, I read the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Melsted View Post
    I don't think many of us who use EDL/XML in/out on a regular basis appreciate being called luddites just because we feel this tool is a step backwards. That's blatant fanboyism and just rude.

I've used iMovie before. This may be iMovie on steroids, but Final Cut it is not.
    It's also clear as day that this is built upon iMovie. Too many similarities and cross functionalities.

In my view, this marks the end of Apple's support of the professional video industry.
    When their flagship "pro" app becomes a souped up consumer app lacking vital professional features, the writing is on the wall.
    I get it, the consumer business is more profitable than the professional business. No hard feelings. I'd just like to be told up front that they're abandoning the pro features in a program the claim is a pro tool, with so much fanfare at NAB they pushed other companies out of the way to put on a show and tell of new features.

I welcome changes in technology, but only when they move us forward - not when they destroy workflows with no alternative options to replace the ones they destroys and then claim it's "better."

If there's any doubt as to the basis of this new tool, look at this picture:
    Amen!
    BEN ROJAS
    Creative Editorial | Post Supervision
    Miami | Los Angeles
    www.benrojas.com

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    This is getting crazy but I'll go one more round...

Which part don't you believe?
    Actually I found 3 parts I don't believe:

1. That you can "set your RED camera to shoot and capture video in the QuickTime format" (thinking of Alexa?)

2. That FCP 7 didn't export OMF files (?!?!):
    "Complaint: Can’t export AAF or OMF files. These formats are successors to EDL. They let you export your project to other programs, like Avid, Quantel or Pro Tools, for more sophisticated editing.
    Answer: The old Final Cut didn’t export these, either"

3. That desktop preview hacked through an AJA card has the same functionality as video out? All fields intact? "Just as before"?
    "Complaint: Can’t connect an external monitor. Pros work with Final Cut on the Mac screen, but they prefer to view the actual edited video on a dedicated second screen. While Final Cut Pro X works just fine with a second computer monitor — you just choose Window -> Show Events on Second Display (or Window -> Show Viewer on Second Display) — there are complaints that it can’t connect to an external video monitor (TV), which pros feel offers better color fidelity."
    Answer: Just as before, you need a Mac Pro with a video-output card in order to connect a TV monitor. Apple expects that the output-card companies will soon offer the necessary drivers for FCP X; AJA, one of the major makers of these boards, already offers beta versions of such drivers. Apple is working with Black Magic to offer drivers for its boards."

Glad he set all those naysayers straight!

Also - http://t.co/qYxlHOb is just kinda weird. But that's off topic, sorry. I don't care if someone makes unfunny videos. I think a journalist should do basic research though.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Bruce - If you keep changing the subject, you can keep being right.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    Bruce - If you keep changing the subject, you can keep being right.
    I point out the same factual error. In bold. In two successive posts. Because you asked me to.

This is changing the subject?

Oh, and in the second post (responding to you asking "where's the factual error?"), I mention an additional two factual errors in the same article.

I don't think you really are interested in listening to anyone, so I'm going to just put you on my block list. Cheers!

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    Did you even read the article you linked to? It contains major factual errors. EG:

"Complaint: No support for RED digital cameras. The RED camera is a favorite of filmmakers; it records incredibly high-resolution video directly to a hard drive. But FCP X can’t import its files.

Answer: Apple is working with RED to create a plug-in that will give native RED support to FCP X. In the meantime, you can set your RED camera to shoot and capture video in the QuickTime format, which FCP X imports just fine. "

Oh really?

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com
    Bruce, you are nit picking. Almost all of the complaints are flat out wrong which David clearly debunks. In this instance, he mentions Apple is working on native support and im sure we will see an update from RED to use the proxies in FCPX if they are not already working (haven't tried it). What other statements did David make that are so factually wrong? You are ignoring the answers as a whole and zeroing in on RED support.
    Emery Wells @emerywells @KatabaticNY
    Founder/CTO - Katabatic Digital
    KataData iPhone Data Rate Calculator
    http://katabatic.tv
    NYC EPIC Rentals + Scratch DI/Transcoding
    emery [at] katabatic [dot] tv

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Gray View Post
    Looks like compressor is still 32 bit but it's just the "setup" app
    Share Monitor (replacing QMaster) is doing all the compressing work and is a 64bit app

:-)
    foolcolor.net @mikasky vimeo

foolcat : usefool HTML and PDF visual reports (OS X)

foolcontrol : powerfool camera control (OS X)

Final Cut Pro - REST IN PEACE - 1998 -2011

He said you can't export OMFs in FCP 7. What the f*ck have I been sending my sound mixer then and how did he get them to work? Pogue is pretty much an Apple mouthpiece. I really can't give his opinion much weight when he cleary hasn't done much research and doesn't understand the world I work in.