Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Why everyone is so painfully wrong about FCPX

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Compressor 
    This is my position:
    I was pretty much conviced that FCP would be totally useless (just watching the filmed demo ). I bought it with compressor 4 because I wanted to use the 64 bit power of compressor 4. Producing mainly TV shows, my point was to speed up mpeg2 encoding.
    And it did: ONE TIME.. The first time I turned Quick Cluster on i was able to transcode a 20 minutes show to Mpeg2 in about 1.5 minutes!! amazing, and the quality was great.
    I felt ok spending money for a totally useless editor.

But then it never worked again!!! for the past few days: getting "Quicktime Error: 0".
    Even tough Compressor is supposed to work with any supported f"freestanding" file, it only seems to work when exporting from fcpX at this point
    SO until i get it to work again, I feel i wasted my money

I think FCPX is going to be the iPhone of NLE software. When the iPhone first launched, peopled laughed at it's lack of app support, no multitasking, no corporate email, no 3G... before the thing launched people decided it was going to fail.

Now look at it.

Give it some time, folks. No one is putting a gun to your head telling you to uninstall your current FCS3 system and upgrade to X. It's always a personal choice to become an early adopter.

I have to say, I am really starting to enjoy all this. All the whining and anger has motivated me to spend more time with FCPX than I probably otherwise would have. And, I am really starting to see what fabulous potential it has (go ahead, laugh, I really don't care). What I like even more is that so many people are running the other direction and switching to other apps. I have never been much for being in the "mainstream." That is probably why I have never liked Sony cameras very much, even though I acknowledge they are good. It's also why I like RED so much; a bit of rebel attitude and enough of a group of disbelievers that it gets fun to spar with them.

As for FCPX, it's not "there" yet, but I will enjoy saying "I told you so" in a few months when it does things that NLEs in the "old" paradigm don't or it does them faster or easier or better - or all of the above. I realize that very few people here think I am right; maybe I am, maybe I am not. I like being out there enough to see. If it doesn't work out, so what. Ha - there's always Premiere, right?

Great post Emery, right on the money.

"Hell, we can even try running the odd project or two through FCPX to take advantage of all the new great editorial features. Ya know, the features that actually help you tell a story (i.e. editing)."

I think the biggest thing that most people simply do not and will not understand is the tools they choose to use have little to no impact on the quality of work they produce. It is unfortunate that the % of people that care about Online/Offline workflows is so small, but there is no denying that it is always the highest end users that are in a very small group relative to the rest of the population. Most of this group realizes this, and has always been happy to solve workflow problems themselves, in fact, some of this group prefers resolving every little workflow detail themselves. These people aren't really that concerned that FCPx has changed because they will determine for themselves if it is a tool that will be useful in their workflow or not.

Right now I think it is a matter of realizing that you probably shouldn't rely on a single tool without actually trying others to see if they might be a better fit for your workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    As for FCPX, it's not "there" yet, but I will enjoy saying "I told you so" in a few months when it does things that NLEs in the "old" paradigm don't or it does them faster or easier or better - or all of the above. I realize that very few people here think I am right; maybe I am, maybe I am not. I like being out there enough to see.
    Sigh.

Actually you're in the majority opinion: FCP X will grow into a great program in the future.

Do you really think that everyone commenting on FCP X's current lack of features doesn't believe Apple will add them?

You have totally missed the point of the criticism of FCP X.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Mastantuono View Post
    I think that Apple has responded to editors through their High Priest (NY Times consumer electronics writer) David Pogue is very telling and hilarious.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...nal-cut-pro-x/
    This is a must read for anyone that wants the real scoop on what is going on. Turns out 90% of the panic is misinformation.
    Emery Wells @emerywells
    Co-Founder/CEO - Frame.io @Frame_io
    Founder - Katabatic Digital @KatabaticNY
    Frame.io
    KataData iPhone Data Rate Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    Do you really think that everyone commenting on FCP X's current lack of features doesn't believe Apple will add them?

You have totally missed the point of the criticism of FCP X.

[/url]
    If that's truly the case, then the whining and complaining and "well I guess I'm switching to premiere!" comments just all seem a little childish. A case of "I want what I want right now and if I can't have it then I'll cry until I do".

I stopped worrying about what Apple was doing for the professional market when they discontinued Shake (the powerfully leading compositing tool until even just a few years ago) and turned it into the joke of a software 'Motion'...

Their intentions then and now are clear: consumer market, easy to use (i.e. less control)

Given, third parties can and will jump in to add 'pro' functionality... but at the end of the day you've got a $300 iMovie upgrade path that you're trying to force into an industry standard workflow with about a million necessary plugins.

Of course, the functionality will eventually get there. No one will stop complaining until it does.

What's sad is that users have waited years rather patiently for... this. And you can easily trace the reason for such emotional outrage - apple kept promising they were looking out for the ever-vocal professional crowd (who arguably took their software to the next level, and gave it a high profile status with emerging artists).

*All that being said, I'm really excited about the accessibility of this software for young artists to get their hands on, to help them take their artwork to the next level. And I really believe they have come up with some innovative ideas with this release!*

However, I recommend professionals take this time to consider their brand loyalty, and whether or not that brand has a history of repaying that loyalty. I don't have anything against Apple or Final Cut, but they have consistently made business decisions targeting consumers... which is why I will make my production decisions based on companies that are committed to pushing professional level tools first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Neish View Post
    Emery: AMEN! Too many luddites here and elsewhere.

Those that are saying it's iMovie Pro have obviously never used iMovie. Though there is undoubtedly some iMovie code in it, FCPx is WAY WAY more.

I for one welcome disruptive leaps forward in technology. That's why I bought the first RED in Utah in 2007, and it's the reason I bought the first Video Toaster in Utah in 1990. Bring on the future! I love breaking in new technologies and figuring out ways around the limitations.

Let's flip the scenario around, what if Apple had waited another year tell everybody about their re-write of FCP? Can you imagine the howls of "Apple doesn't care about Pro" "FCP is dead", blah blah. I'm personally thrilled they let us work with a version that still needs some feature added. I'd much rather be in that boat then waiting around another year wondering if FCP is dead.

Thank you Apple for your continuing support of the professional video industry!

Now you just need to change your mind about killing off DVD-SP. We use it daily and I had some great ideas for the next version. Give me a ring, we'll chat. :)
    I don't think many of us who use EDL/XML in/out on a regular basis appreciate being called luddites just because we feel this tool is a step backwards. That's blatant fanboyism and just rude.

I've used iMovie before. This may be iMovie on steroids, but Final Cut it is not.
    It's also clear as day that this is built upon iMovie. Too many similarities and cross functionalities.

In my view, this marks the end of Apple's support of the professional video industry.
    When their flagship "pro" app becomes a souped up consumer app lacking vital professional features, the writing is on the wall.
    I get it, the consumer business is more profitable than the professional business. No hard feelings. I'd just like to be told up front that they're abandoning the pro features in a program the claim is a pro tool, with so much fanfare at NAB they pushed other companies out of the way to put on a show and tell of new features.

I welcome changes in technology, but only when they move us forward - not when they destroy workflows with no alternative options to replace the ones they destroys and then claim it's "better."

If there's any doubt as to the basis of this new tool, look at this picture:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svatos View Post
    If that's truly the case, then the whining and complaining and "well I guess I'm switching to premiere!" comments just all seem a little childish. A case of "I want what I want right now and if I can't have it then I'll cry until I do".
    Folks have waited through 4 years of stagnant FCP development.

Apple kept them waiting, just telling folks it would be "Pro" and "Awesome." Folks kept up investments in Final Cut Server etc faithfully.

Now that the curtain was finally pulled back, it is revealed to still be a work in progress.

Of course we know features are coming. And there are a lot of things we like.

But the basic reaction is "WTF - this looks like 2 years' worth of work, not 4. Why did they hype it up to us so much then release something so lacking?"

It just feels like dishonesty from Apple and is a bad sign for the future.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com