Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Why everyone is so painfully wrong about FCPX

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig W. Bickerstaff View Post
    The long thread seems to say apple are idiots and this thread is about how the people in that thread are idiots.
    Idiots who are trying to answer your questions, mind you!

I'm going to ask my questions now (nobody answered them on the other thread):

>
    Hey guys... anyone want to let me in on the secrets of:

- how to add eases to your rotation keyframes? I got my position keyframes smooth but no go on rotation keyframes so far. So my moves currently look kinda klunk-tastic.
    - how do you adjust the play-around amount? It is too long.
    - also, when I am playing around my edit in the Precision Trimmer and I hit > or < to tweak it by a frame, the playhead jumps to the edit. Any way to get the playhead to just keep playing around my edit (eg like Avid?)
    - crossfading audio has me confused. It seems to keep adding video crossfades. Any way to make it behave like Vegas (eg when you bump a clip into another it auto-adds a fade, with lines indicating the fade instead of some weird shiny gray box that obscures everything)?
    - that NY Times twit said you could make a project with custom resolution buy I can only see presets like 960x540? I'm guessing he didn't get that right either?

All in all, I like:
    ORGANIZATION: the metadata, the very visual bin system and skimming stuff.
    TIMELINE: Avid-like feeling that the timeline is a solid thing, not just isolated clips (handling of filler & magnetic timeline is nice)
    EDITING: the little visual confirmations you get once you make an edit (eg the clip kinda animates and drops down into place)
    EDITING: I like some of the magnetic timeline features a lot.
    EFFECTS QUALITY & SPEED: rendering engine seems good. I like the Motion integration and publish-able features etc. As an effects guy I could get into this.

I do not like:
    How often the damn thing is crashing.
    >

EDIT: also:

- how do you show untagged clips? I want to go through my stuff and tag it, but I don't want to see the stuff I've already tagged. This seems kinda essential
    - changing clip height is global? It'd be nice if I could set the height of those black matte clips to be shorter, for example (this is in Avid, steal that feature!)
    - no way to color clips? Or show tags in the timeline?
    - how do I drag a clip onto a tag? It keeps wanting to set an In / Out point.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    It's more than highly disconcerting. Wait until the first person attempts to a cut a full length feature on this app in it's current state - designed and tested for web videos.
    Nail on head...

Everything is web video now. At least, that's what Apple want us to believe; no hard media with digital delivery for everything via iCloud.

I still don't know what to make of this software, I've tried hard to be positive about it, but I'm still waiting for some sort of epiphany when the penny drops and I realise how good and useful FCPX is. I have a feeling it will be a long wait.
    I make stuff.
    www.liamhall.net

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Nail on head...

Everything is web video now. At least, that's what Apple want us to believe; no hard media with digital delivery for everything via iCloud.

I still don't know what to make of this software, I've tried hard to be positive about it, but I'm still waiting for some sort of epiphany when the penny drops and I realise how good and useful FCPX is. I have a feeling it will be a long wait.
    Me too, Ive tried hard, give it a chance I thought but there just arn't the tools there. Tried kneeling and putting my hands together but the light fails to shine. From what the third party developers seem to be suggesting if they hav'nt got a preview of it to build their stuff It will be a very long wait. One of our guys says he feels that he's invested 10 or more years in building a pipe line to find he just been cut adrift. A good replacement for iMoviie, Pro No.

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Apple can fix this situation very easily... all they have to do is communicate what they are going to do with this app. If they don't, many will jump ship. Once they do, it will be hard to get them back.

I am the ultimate Apple fan. But this app signals a big change in philosophy. It doesn't have to be that way... but somebody better say something pretty quickly.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

If this quote off of the Final Cut Pro page at apple doesn't state what apples vision for final cut pro x is I'm not sure what does "Final Cut Pro X includes the key sound editing and color grading features from Final Cut Studio, so now you can use a single application for the entire post-production workflow."
    Though they should be more clear about their roadmap unfortunately Apple is exactly the kind of company that would rather allow a mass exodus then be in anyway transparent though various websites seem to claim they have spoken with apple people and heard back things like "updates will be much more frequent" and the reason there is no XML is because Apple thinks they can do it better then it's being done now so they are rethinking it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Emery Wells View Post
    This is a must read for anyone that wants the real scoop on what is going on. Turns out 90% of the panic is misinformation.
    In his article, Mr. Pogue maintains the following:

Answer: Apple is working with RED to create a plug-in that will give native RED support to FCP X.
    If I am interpreting the following correctly, does this not say little (or a lot) of Mr. Pogue's credibility regarding this discussion?

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....l=1#post782586

Quote Originally Posted by Fabián Aguirre View Post
    In his article, Mr. Pogue maintains the following:
    If I am interpreting the following correctly, does this not say little (or a lot) of Mr. Pogue's credibility regarding this discussion?
    http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....l=1#post782586
    I would assume that Pogue called his contact within Apple and that's the answer he was given, David Pogue may have a reputation as an apologist for Apple but he's gone on TWIT at least one time to defend himself and I'm not one to just immediately assume that he either made it up or wrote it down because he simply assumed it was the case.

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Mr. Pogue probably should of called us....

perhaps Red is actually an irish man who works in the final cut devision at Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Apple can fix this situation very easily... all they have to do is communicate what they are going to do with this app. If they don't, many will jump ship. Once they do, it will be hard to get them back.

I am the ultimate Apple fan. But this app signals a big change in philosophy. It doesn't have to be that way... but somebody better say something pretty quickly.

Jim
    Well, I got FCPx because I am not an Editor nor do I want to be one, looking for an easy App. to do quick edits of short clips, but sure hope they are reading what you just said,
    and what an entire community is saying, I do like to believe that this is V1.0 and that lot more is coming... ;
    Writer | Producer | Director | DP