Thread: Tiny Cooke lens on small Epic camera

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Tiny Cooke lens on small Epic camera 
    I had the pleasure of getting to see an Epic-M up close this weekend. I live in Maine, where that's not a common opportunity, but fellow Reduser Nathan Garofalos was here visiting. He had his Epic with him and asked f I'd like to check it out. It was not an opportunity I could pass up.

I own a pristine set of Cooke Speed Panchros - the old Series II, III lenses, not the new ones. One of the things I've wanted to know was if they would covet 5K on the Epic, so I brought them along, and I can tell you they do cover 5K. From the 18 to the 75. And they are tiny. The 25 isin this picture, and it has a Tiffen filter holder attached, so it looks twice as big as it really is. There is definitely some vignetting in the corners of the 18 (much like a Zeiss Standard) but it is not an unpleasant look at all. these are Arri standard mount, with a Les Bosher PL adapter, and the size of the Epic makes them better to operate than any camera I've ever used them on. (This one is an iPhone pic.)

A lot has been written about the Epic in a lot of situations, and we met for lunch at a local pizza place, where there weren't world-changing images to be made, so I'll just mention a couple of things that particularly struck me. First, noise. I've modified the Cooke 25 for extreme close focus for tabletop work. and these french fries were a handy subject. But there was no light. I cranked the Epic up to iso 4000 and made this shot:

Now this is just the available light, so not a great image, and at iso 4000 there is definitely noise - I'd say about as much as R1-MX at 2000. But what struck me was how pleasant the noise is. It seems similar to the noise I see from the Nikon D3s at high iso - very random and grain-like. Very nice.

We went outside into the midday sun for what was supposed to be a HDRx test, but for some reason (probably operator error, it was a quick test) the camera didn't record the x stream. But the dynamic range was still excellent. The prettiest thing in the parking lot was this Harley, parked half in sun, half in shade. And from the tires to the chrome, the Epic DR held detail.

The other discovery I made was what beautiful B&W the Epic can produce. In this second shot, the sky holds as well. But i just love the B&W the camera made in harsh midday sun. I don't think I've seen B&W this nice from any digital camera before. It reminds me of Plus-X film. I suspect the additional bit depth gives the blacks more to work with and that is making the difference. These are all with the 50-year-old Cooke 25.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Portland, ME; Boston, MA
    EPIC-M #1053

What kind of coating do these lenses have? For sure B&W benefits from uncoated or "poorly" coated lenses. I'm busting to try some old Zuiko glass on an Epic to see how it looks in B&W.
    Cheers
    Bettsy

Senior Member Jeffrey T. Morgan's Avatar
    Really REALLY interesting! Thanks for posting!
    Jeffrey T. Morgan
    Producer • Director • Cinematographer (Local 600) • Editor
    www.PrometheusMotionPictures.com . . . Twitter: (at) JeffreyTMorgan

SCARLET-X #1633 "The Dark Knight", Panasonic GH4
    PL and Canon Mount, Contax Zeiss lenses

Like it!!!
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Betts View Post
    What kind of coating do these lenses have? For sure B&W benefits from uncoated or "poorly" coated lenses. I'm busting to try some old Zuiko glass on an Epic to see how it looks in B&W.
    Honestly, I don't know what the coatings are. I should do a little research on that. My memory says that the Series II & III (which these are) have early coatings, and that is much of the difference between them and the earlier series that were used on the Technicolor cameras, but I can't find any easy verification of that.

There certainly is a look to lenses with more ca that works in B&W. I have a collection of old rangefinder still cameras that I used to use with film that made wonderful B&W.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Portland, ME; Boston, MA
    EPIC-M #1053

love these lenses and am really beginning to use them alot cause the new glass un unrelentingly sharp and theres all but a handfull of subjects with skin that handle that on close-ups ...i have panchros and old schnieders PL'd and i love them!!!
    Attached Images
    sergio Arguello:
    Epic-M 459,Epic-X 751
    RED Rocket™™™

sergioarguello.net

Looks cool. Get some back lit sunsety stuff..... :) wanna see what it looks like. One day i will have a set of Old Speed Panchros.....
    Director Of Photography
    RED Epic DRAGON - Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 T2.9 - Canon K35 full set
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by sergio arguello View Post
    love these lenses and am really beginning to use them alot cause the new glass un unrelentingly sharp and theres all but a handfull of subjects with skin that handle that on close-ups ...i have panchros and old schnieders PL'd and i love them!!!
    Damn Sergio, that looks great! That's a series II Speed Panchro on there? I'd have to guess a 50?