Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC - ARRI, SIDE BY SIDE FACTS.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    If Red calls back all Red-MX cameras and charges $5000 for a 2K 12 bit Prores Module upgrade another 10,000 Red-MX cameras will be sold. Demand and Supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Those of you that think 1080P and 2K are future proof... God love you. You are dead wrong.

Jim
    Do you think they'll ever rescan Jurassic Park and re-render the VFX in 4k with improved assets? God bless you, you are dead wrong. ;)

the issue is mainstream distribution... people are just now really picking up HD (because there's no longer a choice) and they/we aren't really getting any HD material, except through blurays... and all these theatres are still transitioning to 4k...

don't get me wrong, the wise man sees it coming. sadly, i only know a handful of wise men.

Mark, don't want to bother you or anybody else here but must say now that you are late more or less a year and half on this comparison between Alexa and Epic.

Search the forum...

Btw, I do have always early information what is the next big thing but there is no need to talk about it here...
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

--------

500px >>>
    Twitter >>>
    Facebook >>>
    YouTube

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    I'm watching HBO's "Game of Thrones" (great show) on a 10' screen... all I can think of is that it is soft. What happens to this show when a 4K release happens?

Sorry... I have no clue what I am talking about. Disregard my posts.

Jim
    Last edited by Jannard; 06-13-2011 at 12:15 AM.
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    Sorry Mark to be touchy about American Cinematographer, but I get tired of the bashing it gets online, it predates digital... when I was in college and couldn't get into a film program as an undergraduate, the magazine was my film school. I read every issue going back to the mid 1920's and I reread every issue starting from 1970 several times over by the time I graduated. I am eternally grateful for that, so feel the need to defend it as I would an old friend. Plus I'm involved in publication at the ASC, I know the staff of the magazine, and they are all fine people and there is no policy of letting companies that buy advertisements to dictate how articles are written.

I buy it every month religiously. :) all good mate.
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED EPIC X #612, RED EPIC X #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

I'm watching HBO's "King of Thrones" (great show) on a 10' screen... all I can think of is that it is soft. What happens to this show when a 4K release happens?

Jim
    Haha, that makes two of us! But I also am seeing that a lot of the matte paintings barely stand up to 720p let alone 4k. Which is a shame, because it would be beautiful in a theater if they had invested in the future. But I doubt there'll be time/money to quadruple the resolution of their matte paintings.

Sometimes softness is a blessing to post production budgets. 1080p is already 'abusing' a lot of episodic TV budgets. You could get away with murder in 480p. Now everything has to be at "Almost" film quality VFX. Asking Producers to invest in 4k VFX for a future DVD release probably is going to push them past their sanity point. :D

Actually Jim is DEAD RIGHT... The producers who have been in the business for a long time understand the value of 4K catalog. The film business is simple, shoot 4k now, release 480p, 1080p now, 2k a few years from now and 4K later. Thats real value.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    Haha, that makes two of us! But I also am seeing that a lot of the matte paintings barely stand up to 720p let alone 4k. Which is a shame, because it would be beautiful in a theater if they had invested in the future. But I doubt there'll be time/money to quadruple the resolution of their matte paintings.

Sometimes softness is a blessing to post production budgets. 1080p is already 'abusing' a lot of episodic TV budgets. You could get away with murder in 480p. Now everything has to be at "Almost" film quality VFX. Asking Producers to invest in 4k VFX for a future DVD release probably is going to push them past their sanity point. :D
    sadly, you're right gavin. i've been trying to convince my colleagues for quite some time just to even start thinking about moving towards and preparing for 4k workflows... and i pretty much just get a "why?" reaction. then i get tired of explaining simple things... you really don't need a crystal ball to see things moving that way.

it's kind of like saving money. everyone acknowledges that it's a good practice and says "oh, yeah i need to do that (at some point i'll start...)" and then they wind up unprepared... big surprise.

there's going to be some fairly sized post hauses that might just find themselves unprepared and feeling foolish.

I'm watching HBO's "Game of Thrones" (great show) on a 10' screen... all I can think of is that it is soft. What happens to this show when a 4K release happens?

Jim
    LOL, Jim I see you are Thrones fan. Great show.