Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC - ARRI, SIDE BY SIDE FACTS.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schaefer View Post
    I agree, edit the label at the top. It will make it legitimate. I am not an Alexa expert: is the info accurate?

If so, its a great fact sheet/comparison of specs.
    I didn't create the image :) was only sharing it.
    The facts seem to be correct, when I went to each manufactures site to just then to compare. So there is no nonsense on that front.
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED EPIC X #612, RED EPIC X #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    I didn't create it the image :) was only sharing.
    The acts are correct, when I went to each manufactures site to compare. So there is no nonsense on that front.

Cool, thanks again for sharing. My bad, you stated that in your first post.

Ok, who wants to photoshop it or rebuild it? Better yet, dose anyone know the author and dose he want to change it?
    3 Epics! M462, X108, X1266
    Epic 3D Beamsplitter 3D Rig-FIZ controled, 3D S/S rigs, Excellent 8ton G&E Truck!
    2 RedOnes #115 & #3090
    Local 600-D.P.
    www.highimpactpictures.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schaefer View Post
    Cool, thanks again for sharing. My bad, you stated that in your first post.

Ok, who wants to photoshop it or rebuild it? Better yet, dose anyone know the author and dose he want to change it?
    Does it really matter? who really cares..
    It's the numbers (facts) at the bottom that interested me. not the flag waving palooobaaa at the top.
    Mark Toia

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Brook Willard View Post
    I say we all enjoy the humor and try to prevent this thread from becoming explosively dramatic.
    I agree.

Mark Toia, You do realize we are waiting for cool footage and tests from you right? What are you doing online? go outside and shoot somthing cool. LOL

Yes.. sorry. I'm in a huge online. Lots of stuff on the go.
    I should't be on the forum like a junkie, I should be working.
    Thanks for Reminding me. :)

I have many tests to post, but not with me, Im in another country at present.

I'm wanting the play back to be working so I can just go out and shoot by myself and see what I'm getting there and then, instead of having to put everything in may laptop every time to view, or drag around a some sort of video playback.

I'll be sharing stuff soon though. Alot of things I'm working on has not gone to air yet. So I'm sort of grounded.
    Mark Toia

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Sorry Mark to be touchy about American Cinematographer, but I get tired of the bashing it gets online, it predates digital... when I was in college and couldn't get into a film program as an undergraduate, the magazine was my film school. I read every issue going back to the mid 1920's and I reread every issue starting from 1970 several times over by the time I graduated. I am eternally grateful for that, so feel the need to defend it as I would an old friend. Plus I'm involved in publication at the ASC, I know the staff of the magazine, and they are all fine people and there is no policy of letting companies that buy advertisements to dictate how articles are written.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Alexa is a great camera... no doubt about it. The lingering questions is... "is 1080P really good enough in a future 4K world?".

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    To me it looks like Alexa's equal maybe the little Scarlet? or at best the EPIC S...
    In my mind Alexa is much better than the Scarlet cameras mostly because of the sensor size... but the Epic S outshines Alexa dramatically.

Alexa is functionally a camera I've been asking Red for.

Its a Scarlet in terms of its performance numbers in all but one category - sensor size. So, for me a 3K Scarlet camera with the same specifications as the Scarlet Cinema, but with an S35 sensor and the ability to use the various Epic mounts (PL, Nikon Canon etc.) would be ideal. It would be cool if the sensor was actually S35, not the larger 5K sensor. I suppose APS-C or the same size as Red One might be nice as well. I just would have to plan on using it with SLR lenses or much older PL mounts (that don't cover Epic/5K) around that price point

If Arri decides to undercut the F3 on pricing for Alexa bodies, I'd snatch one today in a heartbeat. Its a fantastic camera- but that's all its worth to me. I'd rather buy a Sony F3 ... or even an FS100 if I come up with the business need before I can get an Epic M or X. (To be fair, they'd only have to undercut the F3 body + S-Log firmware pricing - because of Alexa's built in RAW.)

So ... to sum up, Red doesn't have a camera on sale, or announced that is directly comparable with Alexa.
    Alexander Ibrahim
    Director & DP
    editing/color correction/compositing/effects
    http://www.alexanderibrahim.net
    http://www.zenera.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    Sorry Mark to be touchy about American Cinematographer, but I get tired of the bashing it gets online, it predates digital... when I was in college and couldn't get into a film program as an undergraduate, the magazine was my film school. I read every issue going back to the mid 1920's and I reread every issue starting from 1970 several times over by the time I graduated. I am eternally grateful for that, so feel the need to defend it as I would an old friend. Plus I'm involved in publication at the ASC, I know the staff of the magazine, and they are all fine people and there is no policy of letting companies that buy advertisements to dictate how articles are written.
    I want you to know David that reading that story time and again over the years has really influenced me. I think for the better, I study my AC magazines and try very hard to learn from its contents.

I have to say that occasionally AC magazine drives me nuts though. For a little while there, AC was publishing a lot fewer lighting schematics- which I really value. Also sometimes they publish articles that I disagree with journalistically. Like Christopher Probst's article on Red that generated a lot of discussion a while ago- I felt it read unbalanced, though I don't want to rehash that topic.

AC is a pretty important magazine in our craft (galactic understatement) and its tough to live up to the demands someone like me places on it. Thanks for the hard work to you and all the staff there.
    Alexander Ibrahim
    Director & DP
    editing/color correction/compositing/effects
    http://www.alexanderibrahim.net
    http://www.zenera.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    Thanks for sharing David as always. That was very emotional and heartfelt. As usual ne of my favorite forums on Reduser is "Ask David Mullen Anything". I learn a lot as I silently read through and only occaisionally ask you questions. I fully appreciate the fact that you spent all that time reading the magazine and are now able to impart that knowledge freely. As a director I have to learn and relearn constantly. I learn a lot from a few terrific cinematograhers on here a few of whom I have worked with. Because of you its easier to communicate with them and easily explian the shots I'm requesting.
    Thanks

PS I'm really glad you worked it out with Mark Toia. I've never met the dude, but he is one of my favorite guys on Reduser. Actually one of my favorite commercial directors period.