Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC - ARRI, SIDE BY SIDE FACTS.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Someone shot this months ago, http://vimeo.com/13940259

That was an ok test. They really needed a side by side video so people can pause and compare for themselves (even though it's web video). This test is at least more recent with RED MX. http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/201...inally-online/ EPIC I feel would out perform Alexa and 35mm in these tests by John Brawley.
    www.digitalshakedown.com

EPIC-X #204 "JIGSAW" + SCARLET-X #1097
    DIGITAL SHAKEDOWN - A FULL SERVICE PRODUCTION COMPANY - Concept to Delivery

Unless your looking at a side by side on a 4k monitor or projector... It's hopeless posting comparison tests on Vimeo or You tube. Just a complete waste of time. Why bother.
    The big boys do 4k side by side tests and thats why they are choosing EPIC over the Arri for large productions. brand names mean nothing to the logical choices.

Little Tv shows or ad's... does it really matter what camera you use.
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED DRAGON #612, RED DRAGON #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

As a member of the ASC and as someone who is on the publishing committee of the ASC, which includes the magazine, and as someone who occasionally writes for the ASC, including the magazine, I assume you have proof that the ASC magazine has refused to publish any advertisements for Red because of pressure from Kodak, who for some reason don't have a problem with adds by Sony, Panasonic, etc. (let alone Fuji). Otherwise, I find that sort of accusation very offensive even in jest.

Besides, I don't get the logic that Kodak would have a problem with an advertisement pitting the Epic against the Alexa.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brook Willard View Post
    I think I've done about a dozen of them already... all of them different. Everybody should be free to form their own opinion from their own tests when the opportunity is there. Most people have a horse in the race [or at least a favorite], so many tests are skewed.

This diagram is fun but it is undeniably skewed to the RED side. It's hard to present a "fact sheet" with a giant header joking about how one camera trounces the other.

There's no doubt that I've picked a favorite between the two... but the Alexa is a damn good camera.

I say we all enjoy the humor and try to prevent this thread from becoming explosively dramatic.

Hi Brook,

Not that I care as I have no shares in any of these companies or, but which part is skewed in you view.. The head line or the comparison facts. Do you think they might mean Arri is kicking RED's arse instead? :) Just playing with ya.

Hey mate, on another note. Your top & bottom plates for the EPIC.. I ordered a few weeks ago.. any hold up in production. Seems to be taking quite a while for something so simple. Should I start knocking some doors down.

cheers mate. Love your work.
    Mark Toia

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Mate.. I was only joking!
    Jezzz. your a serious man.
    Ill retract.
    Mark Toia

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    To me it looks like Alexa's equal maybe the little Scarlet?
    Scarlet beats it some respects, shooting 3K@120fps rather than 30fps. However if they were the same price, I'd choose 3K@30fps S35 over 3K@120fps on 2/3" 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brook Willard View Post
    This diagram is fun but it is undeniably skewed to the RED side.
    How so? All the listed items seem to me to be objective measurements (no "more pleasing highlight rendering" type stuff) that you can't really misrepresent.

Was some area in which the Alexa is superior left out?

I'm not being a smart-ass I really am curious (not that I could afford an Alexa even if I decided I did like it better.

just be careful with the touchy subjects mark, and everybody should be cool... except the people that aren't cool anyways ;)

this thing might actually get looked at if the quote were removed from the top...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    Was some area in which the Alexa is superior left out?
    Direct-to-Edit, i.e. the Alexa's number one feature. It's still the one area Epic can't touch (though 3rd party solutions are coming soon that will close the gap a lot, and of course RED will have a module of their own some day).

Oh, and the Alexa is also available today to anyone with the $$$, with all options and full kit. The Epic-M is still unavailable to most (I've been on the waiting list for months now, for example. The Epic-M also regularly ships without all of the parts -- missing EVFs, REDMotes, etc.). This is not RED's fault (Japan crisis, etc.) but it's still a point of comparison today.

When Epic finally gets widely available with full firmware, it's definitely going to be the camera to beat. I'm certainly waiting for mine. If I can't wait any longer, I'd buy an F3/S-Log/Cinedeck over an Alexa at this point.

I agree, edit the label at the top. It will make it legitimate. I am not an Alexa expert: is the info accurate?

If so, its a great fact sheet/comparison of specs.
    3 Epics! M462, X108, X1266
    Epic 3D Beamsplitter 3D Rig-FIZ controled, 3D S/S rigs, Excellent 8ton G&E Truck!
    2 RedOnes #115 & #3090
    Local 600-D.P.
    www.highimpactpictures.com